PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1 - I used to wonder about hype

Sherlock
06-07-2010, 09:08 AM
There are some very good hi-fi products that tend to get 'over sold'. 'People compare our three hundred dollar amplifier to ten thousand dollar tube amps', that sort of thing. Let's just say the spirit of P.T. Barnum is alive and well in the hi-fi world.

I used to wonder if the Sierra-1's were like that. A good product, but with a little hype. Curiosity finally got the better of me and I ordered a pair of the light cherry.

I see now what all the excitement is about. Yes, they hit WAY out of their price class. Yes, the can compare directly to speakers twice their price. This is a beautifully built and finished product that sounds fabulous.

What a bargain. I am VERY impressed with what Ascend has done here. There are all sorts of 'start-up' hi-fi companies, people trying to make a product and make a buck. It's not easy to do. And it's certainly not easy to stand out from the crowd of competing products. But the Sierra-1's stand out, and easily. These are a very pleasant surprise.

muzz
06-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Sure are a quality product that's for sure, and they are backed by Dave himself- and he has very high standards.
The 170's and 340's are both VG speakers in their own right, especially at their price point.......
The Sierra is just better.

Enjoy!:D

davef
06-14-2010, 06:34 PM
There are some very good hi-fi products that tend to get 'over sold'. 'People compare our three hundred dollar amplifier to ten thousand dollar tube amps', that sort of thing. Let's just say the spirit of P.T. Barnum is alive and well in the hi-fi world.

I used to wonder if the Sierra-1's were like that. A good product, but with a little hype. Curiosity finally got the better of me and I ordered a pair of the light cherry.

I see now what all the excitement is about. Yes, they hit WAY out of their price class. Yes, the can compare directly to speakers twice their price. This is a beautifully built and finished product that sounds fabulous.

What a bargain. I am VERY impressed with what Ascend has done here. There are all sorts of 'start-up' hi-fi companies, people trying to make a product and make a buck. It's not easy to do. And it's certainly not easy to stand out from the crowd of competing products. But the Sierra-1's stand out, and easily. These are a very pleasant surprise.

Sherlock,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and it is most satisfying to hear that you feel the speakers have lived up to all of the hype!

Enjoy!!!