PDA

View Full Version : Pls Help -- need new Demo Material

davef
05-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Hi guys...

I need your recommendations for some high-quality demo material (music). It doesn't exactly have to be *enoyable* (although this is preferred of course :D )

Male / female vocals, horns (sax etc.) and most importantly, clean, crisp and clearly defined cymbals and metal persussion instruments.

Please list your favorites and of course, your cooperation is greatly appreciated :)

kinggimp82
05-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Do you want examples just from CDs or concert blu-ray as well?

davef
05-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Do you want examples just from CDs or concert blu-ray as well?

Prefer to limit this to 2-channel audio (CDs)

merrymaid520
05-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Dave,

I don't know if this encompasses all of what you are looking for, but I find most of Jack Johnson's albums to sound very good(well recorded). The curious George soundtrack along with some of the most recent albums sound excellent to me:D

Plus I enjoy the music....a big bonus!

Brandon

kinggimp82
05-27-2010, 04:42 PM
These are some CDs that I enjoy listening to on my 170's.

Norah Jones - Feels Like Home
John Mayer - Continuum
Joe Satriani - Is There Love In Space
Andy McKee - Art of Motion
Billy Joel - Greatest Hits vol 1 and vol 2
Collective Soul - Home

Sam1000
05-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Female vocal and saxophone: Soundtrack of 'Good night and Good Luck'. The track 'One for my baby' is an ideal demo material. Nicely recorded album as well. For female vocals the album by Erin Boheme is also good.

Male Vocal: Whenever I go to BB and try their demo room, they always put a track by Michael Buble. I think any of his song would do for demoing male vocals.

kwarny
05-27-2010, 11:23 PM
City and Colour (Dallas Green). He has a smooth soothing voice.

Galwin
05-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Ron Sexsmith - Time Being (Outstanding Canadian artist)
Great music and prodcution by Mitchell Froom.
Good demo cuts:
Never Give Up
Jazz at the Bookstore

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Being-Ron-Sexsmith/dp/B000GW8PZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275060746&sr=1-1

moehop
05-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Bill Evans-You must believe in spring
Lee Morgan-Search for the new land
Andrew Hill-Time lines

guard52
05-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Greetings Dave. A few recommendations for demo CD's:

"Cool" by Bob James and Earl Klugh
"Every Step of the Way" by David Benoit
"Distant Thunder" by Checkfield

Sierra 1's really shine on these albums IMO.

bdfin
05-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Dave, I can tell from reading you posts you have a great diversity in musical taste which is to be admired when you consider what you are doing....building great speakers..... and as far as I know, these being somewhat older you may have them ......or not.
I have a couple 15 plus year old selections for you. The band " The Blessing " , cd, "Prince of the Deep Water" has all of the things you ask for on one cd. Strong male vocals mostly, from William Topley, the song Delta Rain with strong male and female vocals just sounds mystical on my sierras. There are all kinds of different instrumentation from electric and acoustic guitar, string sections, some horns,chimes, triangles in percusion, piano, flutes just an awesome blend of instruments and tracks. This disc was once pretty hard to find, but I see new copies on Amazon for 40 plus bucks..... but used copies for 5.
Also in a completely different vain Peter Gabriel's dbl. live cd Secret world has some great vocals from a live disc with Peter and Paula Cole. She does a great job thoughout but the vocals on " Don't give up " are great.

davef
06-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Just a quick note to say THANK YOU for all of the demo material recommendations :)

Now back to listening.....

merrymaid520
06-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Dave,

To return the favor, any chance of you posting some of your favorites? Some specific albums or tracks you feel really make Ascends products shine:)

As long as the music is not elevator type in nature, I am always open to hearing well recorded material on my system:p

Thanks!
Brandon

davef
06-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Dave,

To return the favor, any chance of you posting some of your favorites? Some specific albums or tracks you feel really make Ascends products shine:)

As long as the music is not elevator type in nature, I am always open to hearing well recorded material on my system:p

Thanks!
Brandon

Oh my - there is so much and it is forever changing. Right now, a few of my favorites are:

Jesse Cook "Free Fall" (complex, listen for distinct instruments and soundstage placement)

Melody Gardot "My One and only Thrill" (female vocals)

Lyle Lovett "Joshua Judges Ruth" (have used this CD for years, this reveals the men from the boys with regard to male vocals)

Santana "Supernatural" (a bit of everything)

Black Eyed Peas "Monkey Business" (great dynamics)

Nils Lofgren "Acoustic Live" (guitar)

merrymaid520
06-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks Dave!

I do have the santana album and a few jessse cook tracks, so I may have to grab the Free Fall album also. His guitar playing is very cool!

enjoy your weekend & Happy Fathers day to all!

Brandon

Sherlock
06-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Minimum - Maximum by Kraftwerk. Great for dynamics, soundstage, detail.

kwarny
07-14-2010, 11:38 PM
I was listening to a demo cd titled The World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings and two tracks stood out to me.

Taylor Livingston - Isn't She Lovely
Marta Gomez - Cielito Lindo

malaplace
07-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Tool - Lateralus

ediblestarfish
07-15-2010, 06:06 PM
One of my favorites rediscovered as I ran though my CDs after getting my Sierras is:

• Brighton Beach, by Télépopmusik.

Angel Milk (album).
Good use of bass, voice, with a bit of electronic effects that really show off the stereo imaging.

Another is:

• Diablo Rojo and Tamacun by Rodrigo y Gabriela.

Rodrigo y Gabriela (album).
Spanish acoustic guitar craziness. Love that fast crisp sound.

papajac
09-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Hi guys...

I need your recommendations for some high-quality demo material (music). It doesn't exactly have to be *enoyable* (although this is preferred of course :D )

Male / female vocals, horns (sax etc.) and most importantly, clean, crisp and clearly defined cymbals and metal persussion instruments.

Please list your favorites and of course, your cooperation is greatly appreciated :)

The Best Of Andrea Bocelli: Vivere

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Andrea-Bocelli-Vivere/dp/B000VH1AZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1284684072&sr=8-1

Trust me. This CD will be part of your favorites. ;)

davef
09-16-2010, 10:06 PM
The Best Of Andrea Bocelli: Vivere

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Andrea-Bocelli-Vivere/dp/B000VH1AZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1284684072&sr=8-1

Trust me. This CD will be part of your favorites. ;)

Wow - just listened to samples of this CD. Fantastic!!! I will be ordering this one ;)

Thanks!

ebh
09-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Oh my - there is so much and it is forever changing. Right now, a few of my favorites are:

Jesse Cook "Free Fall" (complex, listen for distinct instruments and soundstage placement)

Melody Gardot "My One and only Thrill" (female vocals)

Lyle Lovett "Joshua Judges Ruth" (have used this CD for years, this reveals the men from the boys with regard to male vocals)

Santana "Supernatural" (a bit of everything)

Black Eyed Peas "Monkey Business" (great dynamics)

Nils Lofgren "Acoustic Live" (guitar)

thank you for the Joshua Judges Ruth recommendation. I love Pontiac and Road to Ensenada, but this album really made my Sierras sing. Amazing how a good recording can make music so much more powerful. I wish more artists from all genres paid attention to making a good recording!

Mike_in_FL
09-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Wow - just listened to samples of this CD. Fantastic!!! I will be ordering this one ;)

Thanks!

That is a great CD. My wife and I both really enjoy it.

I mentioned this one on the "recommended music" thread, but Dave Grusin's Mountain Dance has great percussion, with a lot of cymbals, especially on the title track (nice piano too). They sound really nice and crisp on my Sierras (and have me wondering how they would sound with the NrT upgrade :)). Amazon has samples of all the tracks.

Mike

papajac
10-14-2010, 06:36 PM
That is a great CD. My wife and I both really enjoy it.

I mentioned this one on the "recommended music" thread, but Dave Grusin's Mountain Dance has great percussion, with a lot of cymbals, especially on the title track (nice piano too). They sound really nice and crisp on my Sierras (and have me wondering how they would sound with the NrT upgrade :)). Amazon has samples of all the tracks.

Mike

You should consider these one too.

http://www.amazon.com/Andrea-Bocelli-Vivere-Tuscany-Blu-ray/dp/B001I5M9SC/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1287106578&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Andrea-Bocelli-Under-Desert-Sky/dp/B000LPR69C/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1287106578&sr=1-2