PDA

View Full Version : What would a pair of Ascend speaker costing $2K look like

kabeer_g
02-13-2010, 06:49 PM
All,

I have been tracking ascend forum regularly and generally this topics gets thrashed badly. Last time someone started a thread around Sierra floor-stander, people questioned the wisdom of a floorstander.

Ascend is one of two brand I know of where everyone who owns it loves it (other one being Salk). One thing I like about Salk is there are options at every price-point. While not everyone might agree, both Salk and Ascend and generally perceived to be great value for money speakers that can beat speakers many time their price. Having said that, I am pretty sure if Dave were to design a $2K pair of speakers, I am sure they would sound better than Sierra (here comes the assault :D). I agree they wont be twice as good, but would be better

I did not say a $2K floorstander because he might think he can get more out of a large bookshelf in MTM format.

What do you guys think this pair of speaker could look like?

Dave if you ever consider it, take my deposit 6 months before you deliver it

Asliang
02-13-2010, 08:26 PM
He could make a signature edition of the Sierras and go all out with the best drivers he can get his hands on.

Mag_Neato
02-14-2010, 05:22 AM
I think that coming from a company like M&K, where all of their speakers were basically sattellite/subwoofer systems, Dave would tend to think that way for the philosophy at Ascend as well. If he did go for a no holds barred speaker like you suggest, it may attract a new market segment, but who could say for sure.

Would be interesting though!

GirgleMirt
02-14-2010, 06:38 AM
Floorstander would probably more than 2k ... 3 way with a mid and 4x8 inch woofers (around) :cool:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/girglemirt/sr1pb_lft_1_ng_hrb.jpg. . . . . . http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/girglemirt/sr1pb_lft_1_ng_hrbcurvie.jpg
Regular and SE version shown above (SE on the right)

King
02-14-2010, 08:23 AM
I think that coming from a company like M&K, where all of their speakers were basically satellite/subwoofer systems, Dave would tend to think that way for the philosophy at Ascend as well. If he did go for a no holds barred speaker like you suggest, it may attract a new market segment, but who could say for sure.

Would be interesting though!

Plus-1

I hope he does it.
Many of us have great subs now, so a signature satellite would be an easy purchase.

kabeer_g
02-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Well depending on the price range there are many options:

A $2K - $2.5K speaker - It could probably be a MTM using scan-speak drivers. I think considering the supply chain that Dave has built, he could offer more value than anyone else I know of (and at better quality including finish). I am particularly impressed by source Dave has for his cabinets. They can beat highest quality custom cabinets but I think because of the source Dave has established, he saves customers money compared to custom ones.

A $3K - $3.5K speakers - This is where we start getting into a serious 3 way sub that has reference level transparency, drivers with lowest non-linear distortion and in room bass that goes to mid to high 30s. Probably very high quality 7" or 8" woofer, a dedicated mid and a very transparent twitter (how about a scanspeak radiator or a ribbon)

Anyways just my personal opinion. I am sure if Dave were to go down this path, he would painstakingly create the best speaker at any price point he picks up. Point here being I would get super excited about 1-2 more offerings from him at different price points

curtis
02-14-2010, 11:42 AM
one thing to remember, I don't think Dave has ever used "off the shelf" drivers in any Ascend speaker.

Asliang
02-14-2010, 01:01 PM
I wonder if Dave will ever consider building a metal-based tweeter instead of the soft domes he's used so far.

davef
02-19-2010, 02:43 AM
Having said that, I am pretty sure if Dave were to design a $2K pair of speakers, I am sure they would sound better than Sierra (here comes the assault :D). I agree they wont be twice as good, but would be better

You can be sure that if we were to do a Sierra floorstander, it would absolutely offer more than just better bass and greater output when compared to our Sierra-1. We would not introduce such a product unless it provided better performance from top-to-bottom...

davef
02-19-2010, 02:49 AM
Floorstander would probably more than 2k ... 3 way with a mid and 4x8 inch woofers (around) :cool:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/girglemirt/sr1pb_lft_1_ng_hrb.jpg. . . . . . http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/girglemirt/sr1pb_lft_1_ng_hrbcurvie.jpg
Regular and SE version shown above (SE on the right)

Nice -- these look great!

Cabinet on the right would be quite costly if done in bamboo but I really like that look.

GirgleMirt
02-19-2010, 02:55 PM
lol actually posted it in the wrong thread but no matter... Can't wait to see the next Ascend speaker, whatever it is!!! :D And for some reason, I think it would be quite different than what anybody's thinking... Don't think anyone saw the Sierras coming!

muzz
02-21-2010, 02:39 PM
one thing to remember, I don't think Dave has ever used "off the shelf" drivers in any Ascend speaker.

Don't think so either, maybe OTS tweeters matched to his personal CO's, or a personalized derivative of an (E) design.

muzz
02-21-2010, 02:44 PM
lol actually posted it in the wrong thread but no matter... Can't wait to see the next Ascend speaker, whatever it is!!! :D And for some reason, I think it would be quite different than what anybody's thinking... Don't think anyone saw the Sierras coming!

I didn't see'm coming, all others were MDF, so Bamboo was a rather large (WELCOMED!!) leap.
Gonna be tricky to top that at a decent price point I think, but I'm all for it!

Timbre
02-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Perhaps an alternate add of $500 for bamboo for those still inclined.:eek:

Regards,
Ken

King
02-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Nice -- these look great!

Cabinet on the right would be quite costly if done in bamboo but I really like that look.

Looks like the McIntosh LS 360 speakers. (Coffin) cabnet
Which I own. I will get the double use...

DougMac
02-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Send me $2,000. I'll send you a pair of Sierra's and you'll have your answer!