PDA

View Full Version : What are you listening to? (Music)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

racrawford65
03-02-2020, 06:09 PM
on vinyl,
Ozzy Osbourne - Ordinary Man
Marillion - Sounds That Can't Be Made

rysher
03-04-2020, 06:32 PM
chris cornell live on tidal hifi
https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/88450513_2313347765630190_5981350535071006720_n.jp g?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=7XOXKOjikIIAX-Bg1Jq&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=137393bb39aada025d289088d0a1c6e6&oe=5E9A418E

white_darren
03-11-2020, 08:22 PM
Ginger Baker - Basil

Mag_Neato
03-12-2020, 07:18 AM
Dominique Fils-Aime - Birds

Jaybeez
03-12-2020, 08:23 PM

MusicHead
03-14-2020, 07:46 PM
Not just listening, but watching too: "ZZ Top, that little ol' band from Texas". Highly recommended, available on Netflix.

Blutarsky
03-14-2020, 10:59 PM
Not just listening, but watching too: "ZZ Top, that little ol' band from Texas". Highly recommended, available on Netflix.

I saw ZZ Top in 1976 before the beards. They opened for Cold Blood, and we wouldn't let the boys leave the stage.
Still one of the top shows I ever saw. We were "enhanced" at the time.

racrawford65
03-15-2020, 04:19 AM
I saw ZZ Top in 1976 before the beards. They opened for Cold Blood, and we wouldn't let the boys leave the stage.
Still one of the top shows I ever saw. We were "enhanced" at the time.

ZZTop was my first concert - The Summit, Houston, 1980

racrawford65
03-18-2020, 02:30 PM
Rainbow - Long Live Rock and Roll.

j0nnyfive
03-21-2020, 05:48 PM
Rainbow!! What a voice! RJD forever.

I've been listening to a band called "Work of Art". It's like modern 80's melodic rock! A guy working at a gas station pointed me to them. He had them playing on his phone a little too loudly in the store. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJGOwDSNig0

Does anyone have any more suggestions for modern music like this?? I love it.

zRouth
03-21-2020, 05:56 PM
Tidal is a game changer!

racrawford65
03-22-2020, 02:55 AM

Agree, RJD has a great voice. Saw him several times (with Sabbath on Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules Tours, the first 2 or 3 Dio tours). Placed my preorder for Dehumanizer on vinyl the other day (RJD's return to Sabbath in the early 90's). Also picked up the Heaven & Hell Wacken DVD a month or so ago. Last filmed concert with RJD on vocals.

zRouth
03-22-2020, 04:30 AM
The fam and I had a nice evening in self quarantine listening to the first 2 vinyl's of PULSE by Pink Floyd. DAMN they are good on the Sierra 2's. Can't wait to get these subs and see how they kick afterwords.

davef
03-24-2020, 01:00 AM

I've been listening to a band called "Work of Art". It's like modern 80's melodic rock! A guy working at a gas station pointed me to them. He had them playing on his phone a little too loudly in the store. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJGOwDSNig0

Does anyone have any more suggestions for modern music like this?? I love it.

Nice find, reminds me very much of Toto and Asia from back in the early 80's (summers spent at the shore memories) Liking them on Spotify...

RJD - what a huge loss. Saw him live multiple times but only with Dio, Holy Diver and Last in Line tours. What a band that was - Vivian Cambell!

zRouth
03-24-2020, 02:29 AM
Boys and Girls... I just finished listening to Brandt Brauer Frick's newest album "Echo" released June 7th of 2019. I was a BBF fan pretty much instantaneously when I heard their first album in 2010 titled "You Make Me Real". If you're unfamiliar with Brandt Brauer Frick and their first album, imagine 3 guys who love electronic house music but decided to play every digital sound on and acoustic instrument. The idea is lovely and the results are even better. Echo is without a doubt the best album I've heard all year and BBF's best album to date IMHO. Maybe I'm just high as a kite after receiving my dual Rythmik LVX12's this evening but Echo feels like the culmination of the last decade of their journey and it's a complete and utter triumph. Cheers

davef
03-31-2020, 11:10 PM
Boys and Girls... I just finished listening to Brandt Brauer Frick's newest album "Echo" released June 7th of 2019. I was a BBF fan pretty much instantaneously when I heard their first album in 2010 titled "You Make Me Real". If you're unfamiliar with Brandt Brauer Frick and their first album, imagine 3 guys who love electronic house music but decided to play every digital sound on and acoustic instrument. The idea is lovely and the results are even better. Echo is without a doubt the best album I've heard all year and BBF's best album to date IMHO. Maybe I'm just high as a kite after receiving my dual Rythmik LVX12's this evening but Echo feels like the culmination of the last decade of their journey and it's a complete and utter triumph. Cheers

I was not at all familiar with BBF, but I am now -- thanks for the recommendation!! (listening to BBF radio on Spotify right now)

racrawford65
04-01-2020, 05:23 PM
On vinyl ---
The Who - Who's Next
Al Green - Greatest Hits

Blutarsky
04-01-2020, 10:24 PM
Sunn O))) Via Spotify

j0nnyfive
04-02-2020, 12:36 AM
Nice find, reminds me very much of Toto and Asia from back in the early 80's (summers spent at the shore memories) Liking them on Spotify...

RJD - what a huge loss. Saw him live multiple times but only with Dio, Holy Diver and Last in Line tours. What a band that was - Vivian Cambell!

Oh man, you mean Toto has more songs? I thought "Africa" was their only song! But then, these early 80's memories were mostly me walking around in diapers. :cool: I remember Mom, Dad, Pac-Man, waffles with peanut butter, and not much else. Maybe that's what happened to me.

racrawford65
04-06-2020, 02:34 PM
Just picked up a few LPs....
Now Playing: AC/DC - If You Want Blood, You Got It
Up Next: System of a Down - Toxicity, Neil Young - Harvest, Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps
Backordered: Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer (Dio on vocals).

davef
04-10-2020, 07:05 PM
Oh man, you mean Toto has more songs? I thought "Africa" was their only song! But then, these early 80's memories were mostly me walking around in diapers. :cool: I remember Mom, Dad, Pac-Man, waffles with peanut butter, and not much else. Maybe that's what happened to me.

check out Toto IV, fantastic album that still holds up today.

racrawford65
04-11-2020, 02:07 AM
check out Toto IV, fantastic album that still holds up today.

+1 for Toto IV. Outstanding album.

j0nnyfive
04-11-2020, 09:48 PM
I listened to a little bit... sounds great! Imma listen to the whole thing later. Good stuff.

j0nnyfive
04-12-2020, 05:53 PM
I listened to the whole album today! (Toto IV). It was great! I'll definitely be listening to that one again. Very nice.

BZ58
04-15-2020, 01:38 AM
Toto. Never would have thought to listen to them. I’ll have to check that album out.

I’ll be getting a pair of RAAL towers soon! Looking here for suggestions on what to put on a playlist. I use Qobuz mostly in addition to Roon.

If I don’t feel like listening to anything else, the Grateful Dead always sounds nice. I’m not a Deadhead, but something about their playing is relaxing. I like to follow the bass, Phil Lesh’s playing. They call it “The Phil Zone”. I’ve been to their concerts several times so that may have something to do with it.

So I’m not listening to anything yet. Waiting on Tower delivery!

racrawford65
04-15-2020, 11:42 AM
Toto. Never would have thought to listen to them. I’ll have to check that album out.

I’ll be getting a pair of RAAL towers soon! Looking here for suggestions on what to put on a playlist. I use Qobuz mostly in addition to Roon.

If I don’t feel like listening to anything else, the Grateful Dead always sounds nice. I’m not a Deadhead, but something about their playing is relaxing. I like to follow the bass, Phil Lesh’s playing. They call it “The Phil Zone”. I’ve been to their concerts several times so that may have something to do with it.

Aside from the Dead, what else do you like? Should play songs you are familiar with to hear what you've been missing :-).

racrawford65
04-19-2020, 08:13 AM
On vinyl,
Dio - Finding the Sacred Heart - Live in Philly 1986
Rodrigo y Gabriela - Live in Tokyo

audiohead
04-21-2020, 04:53 AM

Me too! this post is just what i'm looking for. I'm lining up the CDs now, Towers coming really really soon.

BZ58
04-21-2020, 06:28 AM
Exciting, isn't it? Mine will be delivered today!

I was thinking of listening to The Beatles' first album first. I have other ideas, but when the time comes I'll decide what I'm in the mood for.

audiohead
04-22-2020, 03:44 AM
BZ58 please post a report on your first impression of them. i have one in introduce yourself.

BZ58
04-22-2020, 06:45 PM
It’s hard to explain in words, except that these towers sound very good. I needed to get a pair of speakers that I wouldn’t need to upgrade from. I don’t know how any other speaker could sound better. One thing I’ve noticed is that I can hear the stereo separation but it seems that there is a speaker in the center also.

I use Qobuz for streaming through Roon. I also use Spotify for making playlists. A couple friends and I make ongoing collaborative playlists there. I convert them to Qobuz using an internet site called “soundiiz”. That way I can listen in higher resolution.

I have a playlist that I like to listen to at home that I’ve been checking out on the Ascend Towers because I’m pretty familiar with the tracks and most of them have nice quality sound. Some of them I’ve discovered on my own and some I’ve found through people’s comments and recommendations on various forums. So I’ll share the playlist here. Maybe you all with find something you really like:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1NaX1NSbpFX7TB7wfjetzn?si=ruNW4sM-RU-uSL4ZXpNn6w

What am I listening to now? Something I’m very familiar with. I’m about to listen to the first few tracks from Genesis - Lamb Lies Down.

natetg57
05-02-2020, 10:55 AM
Bruce Soord- All This Will Be Yours
on tidal
$4 for 4 months of tidal and if you activate rakuten you get $4 back

BZ58
05-02-2020, 08:36 PM
Thanks, will check Bruce Soord out!

I prefer Qobuz high definition streaming over Tidal.

I’ve been listening to and rediscovering music from the 1950’s to the ‘70’s and it’s like hearing these for the first time on these speakers!

Check out Arthur Conley - Sweet Soul Music

racrawford65
05-03-2020, 05:37 PM
On vinyl,
Blondie - Parallel Lines
Ted Nugent - Greatest Gonzos...The Best of...

And today (5 May), on vinyl,
Megadeth - United Abominations (remaster) -- Awesome! This album really rocks....

7 May - on vinyl.
Megadeth - End Game (remaster) -- very good. Both this and the United Abominations remasters are really good pressings. Very quiet and excellent dynamics.

racrawford65
05-15-2020, 08:54 AM
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (on vinyl). Awesome LP.

Jack1949
05-15-2020, 06:11 PM
Carlos Santana - Santana IV

racrawford65
05-16-2020, 01:59 PM
Nirvana - Unplugged in NY (on vinyl)

Pogre
05-26-2020, 09:37 AM
A rare, well recorded live video of TOOL in concert with a focus on Danny Carey's drumming. You can see why they call him "the octopus". He's simply amazing. One of the best drummers on the planet, imo.

https://youtu.be/FssULNGSZIA

racrawford65
05-26-2020, 01:45 PM
Tool kicks a$$

natetg57
05-26-2020, 01:53 PM
A rare, well recorded live video of TOOL in concert with a focus on Danny Carey's drumming. You can see why they call him "the octopus". He's simply amazing. One of the best drummers on the planet, imo.

Very impressive, Thanks for sharing!

Pogre
05-26-2020, 04:47 PM
Tool kicks a$$

They are hands down my favorite band. I've been an avid listener for 25 years and had to endure the 13 year long dry spell of no new Tool when they got all tied up legally. Then their creative process is maddeningly tedious and they're all perfectionists. They won't release anything until it meets their standard and it takes time.

I did see an interview with Danny tho where he said they have a ton of other material written. Like, enough for another album! Oh man, how cool would it be if they release another one in a year or 2?

I won't be holding my breath, but one can hope!

Pogre
05-26-2020, 04:55 PM
Very impressive, Thanks for sharing!

Sure! I'm not sure of your interest level, but here's another great song that they structured (loosely) around the Fibonacci sequence. "Lateralus". This video does a great job of breaking down how the shifting time signatures and number of syllables in the lyrics borrow from the sequence.

https://youtu.be/8qRgsudBsGA

Layer on layer of complexity. A lot of their songs are fairly long, and they evolve and grow as they build to a climax. Very heavy.

Okay, I'm gushing... lol. I do like other bands and music.

audiohead
05-27-2020, 02:11 AM
sweet, thanks for sharing that!

audiohead
05-31-2020, 05:24 AM
Anybody listen to the Acoustic Storm? http://www.acousticstorm.com/

it has been my favorite Sunday AM listening show for a long time now. I stream from Tunein 97.7 Butler PA

natetg57
05-31-2020, 08:39 AM
Anybody listen to the Acoustic Storm? http://www.acousticstorm.com/

it has been my favorite Sunday AM listening show for a long time now. I stream from Tunein 97.7 Butler PA

I'll check that out, Thanks! Only an hour away from my house but too far for my antenna so I'll have to stream it.

audiohead
05-31-2020, 10:42 AM
WOW, I was expecting a thousand "yes of course replies"!
Jeff Parets who passed away not long ago started it before Y2K , his wife (Audrey) hosts the show now. Its all about rock, rock history acoustic style. NOT coffee shop music. awesome rock unplugged.
If you like relaxing rock from the past, check it out. NOT a talk show either.
great stories on the music also
Casts Saturday and Sunday
http://www.acousticstorm.com/stations

racrawford65
06-06-2020, 01:36 PM
Girlschool Hit and Run Revisited -- on vinyl.

Also saw them live, opening for Iron Maiden, with Scorpions headlining back in 82.

Pogre
06-07-2020, 09:02 PM
Holy crap. I just stumbled across some live Rush. This video lives up to the title!

https://youtu.be/YSToKcbWz1k

Wow! That intro is SO heavy! I have a whole new respect for Rush now.

racrawford65
06-08-2020, 01:56 AM
Awesome video. Great band. I saw them a couple of times live. RIP Neil Peart.

davef
06-10-2020, 06:18 PM
Holy crap. I just stumbled across some live Rush. This video lives up to the title!

https://youtu.be/YSToKcbWz1k

Wow! That intro is SO heavy! I have a whole new respect for Rush now.

I have been a big fan of Rush for as long as they have been around. Peart's passing really hit me hard - was hoping to see them a few more times. They are one of only a handful of bands I have seen that sound and perform better live than in a studio. Their musicianship is simply unmatched - most listeners don't realize they are a trio - often sounding like a 5-piece band live...

tkrae11
06-10-2020, 09:18 PM
I recently watched on Netflix -- Rush: beyond the lighted stage. It was really good. It was funny in the credits, Geddy Lee quoted himself warning the filmakers early on, "Don't be surprised when you realize how boring we really are". But the documentary wasn't boring.
-Tom K

Pogre
06-11-2020, 06:15 AM
I have always liked Rush and as a drummer of course I revered Neil. I've studied him. His death hits me still. He was one of a kind, tho there are a couple others out there now in that league. Danny Carey of TOOL being one of them.

I've always thought their musicianship was top of the food chain and have enjoyed a lot of their music. There was just always something missing for me and I think it was my proclivity for heavier and heavier music at that age that prevented me from exploring more.

Funny story, what really got me to check them out more and do a deeper dive is the Canadian show "Trailer Park Boys". The boys "kidnap" Alex Lifeson in one episode and I think he's appeared in one or 2 others. I stumbled across this video collaboration with frickin' Bubbles playing with the band, and they do a great job! This video got me to do my first Rush deep dive, lol.

https://youtu.be/rs4qn_bHQQ0

esnewtunemakers
06-19-2020, 09:50 PM
@Pogre, love that!

I am getting into Wagner's "Ring" (Der Ring Des Nibelungen) because it is the source of "The Flight Of The Valkyries" from Apocalypse Now...

Turns out to be much more that I thought to bite off, but fascinating...

And the Georg Solti recording on Decca has been described as "the best recorded music ever"...so, I have to admit I am intrigued...and have delved deeply into this 15+ hour opera...

In between, streaming WXRT from Chicago (my roots) and playing lots of curated rock/blues/jazz from my own collection...I am a sucker for remastered "hi res" music, especially in 5.1, including a great Tom Sawyer disc in 5.1 to call back to the last post!

Cheers and good listening to all!

audiohead
06-21-2020, 06:38 AM
let me take back that recommendation to Acoustic Storm! this is the second week out of 3 that i had to turn it OFF! Ever since Audrey took over it has been AWFUL!
serious nose dive!
BTW : happy fathers day dads. I love RUSH too!

Qman
06-22-2020, 08:22 AM
Since we will never see Rush perform again, these guys are a really good substitute. I was blown away.
https://www.lotuslandband.com/index.html

racrawford65
06-25-2020, 08:45 AM
Most recently, Roger Waters Amused to Death on vinyl. Awesome music. Except for a couple of spots, excellent pressing (quiet and dynamic)...will repeat washing to see if it improves.

Just received new order of vinyl and am in process of cleaning...up next in no particular order:
Who - Tommy
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio
Samson - Shock Tactics

Pogre
06-25-2020, 09:00 AM
Most recently, Roger Waters Amused to Death on vinyl. Awesome music. Except for a couple of spots, excellent pressing (quiet and dynamic)...will repeat washing to see if it improves.

Just received new order of vinyl and am in process of cleaning...up next in no particular order:
Who - Tommy
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio
Samson - Shock Tactics

I watched a recorded Iron Maiden concert from a few years ago from a Brazil tour. They're still huge down there I guess. Anyhoo, Bruce Dickinson is still one of the most engaging and energetic front men out there! He's older sure, but he still sounds really good and he's all over that stage! I LOVED Maiden growing up and it really made me feel good to see them all still together, still locked in tight, and still kicking mucho ass over 30 years later!

racrawford65
06-25-2020, 12:36 PM
Yes, still huge in Brazil and elsewhere. I'd love to see them live again - saw them once in 82 (Killers tour, opening for the Scorpions) and again in 83 (Number of the Beast tour as headliner, with Saxon and Fastway).

Bruce is great...one of the reasons I picked up the Samson album (Bruce's band before joining Maiden).. makes me want to check out what Paul Di'Anno did musically post his Maiden days.

The Maiden albums with Bruce are really good (particularly the first few starting with Numbers) but my favorites are still the first release (Iron Maiden) followed by Killers.

racrawford65
07-29-2020, 01:21 PM
New vinyl just arrived. Hope to get them cleaned over the next day for weekend listening.
Lou Reed - Transformer
Cream - Wheels of Fire
and
three from Megadeth -- The System Has Failed, Peace Sells...But Who's Buying, and Rust in Peace.

audiohead
08-09-2020, 06:34 AM
Acoustic Storm is Jamming this am! thumbs up today

then she farted it all up playing Bon Jovi! WTF?

racrawford65
08-16-2020, 03:58 AM
Suicidal Tendencies - 1st release - on vinyl

audiohead
08-24-2020, 11:40 AM
METALLICA S & M CD! with sub in new position

the house is pounding now ;)

sorry i had to shout at first!

racrawford65
08-28-2020, 12:18 AM
Suicidal Tendencies - Still Cyco After All These Years. Music on Vinyl limited edition pressing.

audiohead
08-28-2020, 04:22 AM
Suicidal Tendencies - Still Cyco After All These Years. Music on Vinyl limited edition pressing.

OH MY, too much for my blood lol!

wife is a Korn fan, she loved it, on youtube

racrawford65
09-04-2020, 05:31 PM
Stone Sour - Come What(ever) May. 10th Anniversary 2 LP

MusicHead
09-05-2020, 08:50 AM
"World On The Ground", by Sarah Jarosz. Intriguing voice and arrangements. Pristine recording too, the combination makes my pair of CMT-340SE mains shine (and viceversa!) 😃

racrawford65
09-05-2020, 11:17 AM
"World On The Ground", by Sarah Jarosz. Intriguing voice and arrangements. Pristine recording too, the combination makes my pair of CMT-340SE mains shine (and viceversa!) ��

Live stream of this album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Z0skP0EeE

racrawford65
09-06-2020, 02:48 PM
Alanis Morissette- Jagged Little Pill
Toto - 40 Trips Around the Sun

Both on vinyl

white_darren
09-06-2020, 08:39 PM
Live stream of this album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Z0skP0EeE

Listening to this tonight. Fantastic!

racrawford65
09-07-2020, 02:49 AM
Listening to this tonight. Fantastic!

Agreed. Really great sounding video. Added this album to my "to buy" list. Thanks to MusicHead for the initial post on her!

MusicHead
09-07-2020, 03:34 PM
Agreed. Really great sounding video. Added this album to my "to buy" list. Thanks to MusicHead for the initial post on her!

Credit really goes to an Audioholics reviewer who pointed me to her music. The video is great, as it has that live "vibe" that a studio album doesn't. However the album "World On The Ground" is a gem in itself, on so many levels!

In the coming weeks I am for sure digging more in her music, this is I believe her fifth album.

racrawford65
09-08-2020, 04:23 AM
Thanks, MusicHead.
I ordered "World on The Ground", along with a few other vinyls (two on pre-order - Zakk Sabbath's Vertigo and Machine Head's Burn My Eyes), having shipped all at once..so, need to wait a month or two.

davef
09-08-2020, 11:24 PM
"World On The Ground", by Sarah Jarosz. Intriguing voice and arrangements. Pristine recording too, the combination makes my pair of CMT-340SE mains shine (and viceversa!) 😃

Wow -- fantastic recommendation. I am purchasing this one... thanks!

audiohead
09-09-2020, 04:29 AM
very nice!

a lot like Shawn Colvin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S5iANxYIYQ

Jewel my fav Foolish games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKvlDrf-_L8

Sarah McGlachian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QUq72fla3o

Christina Perri jar of hearts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_4O44sfjM

MusicHead
09-09-2020, 08:05 AM
Wow -- fantastic recommendation. I am purchasing this one... thanks!

Glad you like it Dave. Besides being great music, I think it would make for an excellent demo disc for your listening room 😄.

davef
09-09-2020, 06:20 PM
Glad you like it Dave. Besides being great music, I think it would make for an excellent demo disc for your listening room ��.

Agreed!

natetg57
09-22-2020, 07:09 AM
The Pineapple Thief-Versions of the Truth Blu Ray
Only listened to a few tracks but I like it so far. Nice use of the surround speakers as well

davef
09-23-2020, 05:27 PM
The Pineapple Thief-Versions of the Truth Blu Ray
Only listened to a few tracks but I like it so far. Nice use of the surround speakers as well

I have become a big Pineapple Thief fan, which makes sense since Porcupine Tree is one of my main daily listens.

racrawford65
10-19-2020, 02:53 AM
Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears on vinyl. 1 of 22 LP's I picked up recently in Rio. Gotta love the current exchange rate :-)

racrawford65
11-15-2020, 01:40 AM
Motorhead - Ace of Spades - 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition - on vinyl, pressed from 1/2 speed master tapes.
LP has great dynamics and is very quiet (I did clean it).
Set also has two live albums, an album of b-sides/out takes/rare tracks, and an EP of demo instrumentals - I'll listen to these over the next several days.

racrawford65
11-18-2020, 03:38 PM
Well, the two live albums (which I believe were originally bootleg recordings) aren't bad. The one from the show in Belfast is better than the one in France recording wise.

Switching over to another album I just got - Alice in Chains Facelift (remaster). Double LP. Very impressed with this mix/pressing - dynamic, quiet vinyl, and like they didn't cram all songs onto one LP. AIC is probably my favorite Seattle grunge band. Glad I got to see them live with Layne (RIP)...opened for Ozzy in 92.

Next is either back to finish up the Motorhead box set or start on the Black Sabbath Paranoid box set (50th Anniversary).

esnewtunemakers
12-13-2020, 09:58 PM
Just listened to Hi Res version of "More Songs of Buildings and Food"...I love it when my wife gets into thge music as much as me...because Ascend! Going to order towers in the next couple days, the S2's (not even EX) are so awesome, filling my large-ish great room with sound!

racrawford65
12-23-2020, 10:57 AM
"World On The Ground", by Sarah Jarosz on vinyl yesterday (thanks MusicHead for the reco).

Today, a bit heavier -- Machine Head Burn My Eyes on vinyl. Awesome album.

megan1
12-27-2020, 04:27 PM
'Black Swan' by BTS

racrawford65
12-29-2020, 07:31 AM
Zakk Sabbath - Vertigo (purple vinyl). AKA Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath remake. Excellent pressing and really good rendition of this album.

davef
12-29-2020, 07:15 PM
"World On The Ground", by Sarah Jarosz on vinyl yesterday (thanks MusicHead for the reco).

She is terrific!

petmotel
05-02-2021, 07:05 PM

Today, a bit heavier -- Machine Head Burn My Eyes on vinyl. Awesome album.

Thank you so much for the Sarah Jarosz recommendation, I have three CDs of hers now, not a bad song among them!

Jay

MusicHead
05-04-2021, 02:07 PM
Thank you so much for the Sarah Jarosz recommendation, I have three CDs of hers now, not a bad song among them!

Jay

Agreed, there isn't one of her songs that I haven't liked so far.

racrawford65
05-05-2021, 06:20 AM
Over the last few days, spun a couple of new LPs:
Cheap Trick at Budokan
Doors LA Woman
L7 Hungry for Stink
Chris Cornell (RIP) No One Sings Like You Any More

All were really good/quiet pressings.

Mag_Neato
05-05-2021, 06:21 AM
Today's recommended track:
Chris Stapleton - Death Row

racrawford65
05-22-2021, 04:39 PM
Hans Zimmer - Live in Prague - 4 LP set

MusicHead
05-22-2021, 09:16 PM

That is a great concert!

racrawford65
05-23-2021, 04:43 AM
yeah, it was excellent. May have to pick it up on blu-ray as well.

petmotel
05-25-2021, 09:47 AM
Might not be everyone's cup of tea, the SACD of Poncho Sanchez's Conga Blue has absolutely crushing dynamics! Very nice version of Watermelon Man on the set list.

Jay

racrawford65
06-13-2021, 08:21 AM
Record Store Day purchases:
* Kenny Loggins - At The Movies
* L7 - The Beauty Process - Triple Platinum
The Who - Face Dances (40th anniversary 1/2 speed mastered)

Mag_Neato
06-14-2021, 08:06 AM

Listened to this one evening streamed from Qubuz. When I turned off the system I put my hand on the heat sink fins on both my Rythmik F12's. Toasty!

racrawford65
09-23-2021, 06:45 PM
Last night, Metallica's Black Album remastered.
Tonight, the new Iron Maiden album, Senjutsu.

Both pressings are really good. Sounded awesome on my Towers (particularly since I cranked it up as my wife is away ;-) )

davef
09-26-2021, 06:10 PM
Last night, Metallica's Black Album remastered.
Tonight, the new Iron Maiden album, Senjutsu.

Both pressings are really good. Sounded awesome on my Towers (particularly since I cranked it up as my wife is away ;-) )

About to give the new Maiden album a listen. Did you enjoy it?

racrawford65
09-27-2021, 02:45 AM
About to give the new Maiden album a listen. Did you enjoy it?

Yes, I really liked it. Although my favorite Maiden albums are still the first two (Iron Maiden and Killers).

If it happens, they are headlining Rock in Rio next year (September 2), along with Megadeth, Sepultura, and Dream Theater. Haven't seen Maiden live since the 82 & 83 tours, so I'm planning to go to the Rio show with one of my friends there. Interested in joining?

davef
09-28-2021, 12:18 AM
Yes, I really liked it. Although my favorite Maiden albums are still the first two (Iron Maiden and Killers).

If it happens, they are headlining Rock in Rio next year (September 2), along with Megadeth, Sepultura, and Dream Theater. Haven't seen Maiden live since the 82 & 83 tours, so I'm planning to go to the Rio show with one of my friends there. Interested in joining?

I listened to it in full tonight at the gym. I liked it, very similar to the last album. I find I enjoy listening to Maiden during my workouts more than any other band.

I saw them live during the Book of Souls tour with my son (2019). Considering the last time I saw them live was back in 1984 (35 years prior), I was very impressed.

racrawford65
09-28-2021, 03:06 AM
Glad you liked it, Dave. I'm looking forward to seeing them live again.

PersonalTriumph
10-31-2021, 09:22 PM
Roger Waters - Amused to Death. I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan so I never checked out Roger Waters' solo stuff, but this record is incredible. It was mixed using a technology that makes sound come from all around you, even with a two channel system. Check out the title track. At the 6:38 point, an elderly man is speaking. Tell me where you hear his voice coming from.

racrawford65
11-01-2021, 05:53 AM
Amused by Death is a great album. I'll have to listen to it again to check out the elderly man's voice.

davef
11-01-2021, 03:38 PM
Roger Waters - Amused to Death. I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan so I never checked out Roger Waters' solo stuff, but this record is incredible. It was mixed using a technology that makes sound come from all around you, even with a two channel system. Check out the title track. At the 6:38 point, an elderly man is speaking. Tell me where you hear his voice coming from.

Amused by Death is a great album. I'll have to listen to it again to check out the elderly man's voice.

100% agree, this is a fantastic album with exceptional sound quality. It was mixed using QSound.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QSound

Pogre
11-10-2021, 05:22 AM
Porcupine Tree just announced a new album!

davef
11-10-2021, 06:15 PM
Porcupine Tree just announced a new album!

WHAT???!!! Just researched this, you are right - this info just turned 2021 from being a horrible year to a good one ;)

Listening to the new single that was just released from it, "Harridan"... Classic PT!

They are also planning on touring.

For anyone not familiar with Porcupine Tree, these are some of the finest musicians on this planet. Easily equivalent to Rush IMO...

Mag_Neato
11-11-2021, 07:11 AM
A few more recommendations:
Doug MacLeod on Black and Tan, Vol. 3 - $50 Wig
Otzeki - Falling Out (EP - 2016)

Pogre
11-13-2021, 03:27 PM
Porcupine Tree: Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

https://youtu.be/W3lsqUqGTzM

I have a 5.1 Blu Ray rip of this concert and it's done really well. The bass is mixed a little hot, but I'm not complaining!

Pogre
11-13-2021, 03:32 PM
WHAT???!!! Just researched this, you are right - this info just turned 2021 from being a horrible year to a good one ;)

Listening to the new single that was just released from it, "Harridan"... Classic PT!

They are also planning on touring.

For anyone not familiar with Porcupine Tree, these are some of the finest musicians on this planet. Easily equivalent to Rush IMO...

Yup. I was surprised too! I also agree with your assessment of their talent. They're all very good musicians, and their drummer in particular is a very special talent. Just a really good band all around.

racrawford65
11-21-2021, 04:07 AM
Well, I just picked up Porcupine Tree's Signify and The Incident on vinyl. Finished cleaning and ready to give them a spin over the next day or two.

What would you consider their best album(s)?

Pogre
11-21-2021, 04:37 AM
"In Absentia" and "Fear Of A Blank Planet" stick out for me, but they're all pretty good. On the digital side the live "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" DVD/Blu Ray 5.1 mix is probably my favorite. Steven Wilson is known for high production values and his 5.1 mixes are all really good. He has some cool solo stuff too (I've heard, haven't checked out any of his solo stuff yet, but I have a friend who's a huge Steven Wilson fan so it's only a matter of time, lol).

Pogre
11-21-2021, 04:45 AM
This is a drum cam view of Gavin Harrison playing "Anesthetize" off "Fear Of A Blank Planet". He's such a talented drummer. Up there with some of the greats like Peart and Carey imo. I'm a drummer myself and don't do comparisons like that lightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6suv3mraIhw

racrawford65
11-21-2021, 07:46 AM
"In Absentia" and "Fear Of A Blank Planet" stick out for me, but they're all pretty good. On the digital side the live "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" DVD/Blu Ray 5.1 mix is probably my favorite. Steven Wilson is known for high production values and his 5.1 mixes are all really good. He has some cool solo stuff too (I've heard, haven't checked out any of his solo stuff yet, but I have a friend who's a huge Steven Wilson fan so it's only a matter of time, lol).

Thanks, Pogre. I'll add those two to my wishlist. Hope Dave F will chime in on his favorite(s)....

Pogre
11-21-2021, 07:56 AM
Thanks, Pogre. I'll add those two to my wishlist. Hope Dave F will chime in on his favorite(s)....

Well that's easy. If he doesn't agree with me then he's just plain wrong... :p

I kid, I kid! Lol

donaldekelly
11-21-2021, 09:23 AM
Just from looking at reviews, I have this list:
Highest rated have a *
(admittedly an odd way to explore but it has led me to some cds I really like)

Porcupine Tree
Signify 1996
Stupid Dream 1999 *
Lightbulb Sun 2000 *
In Absentia 2002 *
Stars Die 2002 BEST OF
Deadwing 2005
Fear of a Blank Planet 2007
- I enjoyed Stars Die, Fear of a Blank Planet, really all these quite a bit.

Steven Wilson solo (2004-2021)
Grace for Drowning 2011
The Raven 2013 *
Hand Cannot Erase 2015 *
Transience 2015 (A best of mellow Steven solo, IIRC)
To the Bone 2017
-I really like Hand Cannot Erase- I don't remember the others as well. Raven was pretty good.

No Man (1991-2019) - singer Tim Bowness and multi-instrumentalist Steven Wilson.
Flowermouth 1994
Returning Jesus 2001 *
Together Stranger 2003 *
Schoolyard Ghosts 2008
-I have two or three of these but can't say I have listened well yet

Bass Communion (1999-2001) - "ambient, lengthy drone-heavy compositions. ..experiments in texture made from processing the sound of real instruments and field recordings" -wikipedia
- I think I can pass on buying all those experiments

Blackfield (2005-2020) - Steven Wilson, and Israeli rock singer Aviv Geffen
-I haven't sampled much of those 6 albums, Reviews aren't making me rush out to buy them - but some on this forum think they are great.

Storm Corrosion (2012) - Mikael Åkerfeldt of Swedish progressive metal band Opeth and Steven Wilson
Storm Corrosion 2012 - Never heard it.

donaldekelly
11-21-2021, 10:08 AM
What sounds better - the CDS or the speakers?
Sometimes I think I should stop buying CDs for a while and upgrade my speakers. Or at least get a center channel from Ascend that matches the S1s I bought years ago.

racrawford65
11-21-2021, 10:41 AM
thanks for that list, donaldekelly.

Pogre
11-21-2021, 01:08 PM
Mudvayne: Prod

https://youtu.be/01DMl_GJdmM

Listening to the album "L.D. 50" and this song always begs me to turn it up. I really like their bassist. He has some funk and groove in his playing.

davef
11-23-2021, 05:24 PM
Just from looking at reviews, I have this list:
Highest rated have a *
(admittedly an odd way to explore but it has led me to some cds I really like)

Porcupine Tree
Signify 1996
Stupid Dream 1999 *
Lightbulb Sun 2000 *
In Absentia 2002 *
Stars Die 2002 BEST OF
Deadwing 2005
Fear of a Blank Planet 2007
- I enjoyed Stars Die, Fear of a Blank Planet, really all these quite a bit.

Steven Wilson solo (2004-2021)
Grace for Drowning 2011
The Raven 2013 *
Hand Cannot Erase 2015 *
Transience 2015 (A best of mellow Steven solo, IIRC)
To the Bone 2017
-I really like Hand Cannot Erase- I don't remember the others as well. Raven was pretty good.

No Man (1991-2019) - singer Tim Bowness and multi-instrumentalist Steven Wilson.
Flowermouth 1994
Returning Jesus 2001 *
Together Stranger 2003 *
Schoolyard Ghosts 2008
-I have two or three of these but can't say I have listened well yet

Bass Communion (1999-2001) - "ambient, lengthy drone-heavy compositions. ..experiments in texture made from processing the sound of real instruments and field recordings" -wikipedia
- I think I can pass on buying all those experiments

Blackfield (2005-2020) - Steven Wilson, and Israeli rock singer Aviv Geffen
-I haven't sampled much of those 6 albums, Reviews aren't making me rush out to buy them - but some on this forum think they are great.

Storm Corrosion (2012) - Mikael Åkerfeldt of Swedish progressive metal band Opeth and Steven Wilson
Storm Corrosion 2012 - Never heard it.

My Favorite Porcupine Tree album is Fear of a Blank Planet. For Steven Wilson solo stuff, Hand Cannot Erase.

Definitely check out:

Anathema, Lunatic Soul, Katatonia, OSI, Riverside, My Sleeping Karma -- so much great music out there, just need to find it.

Also check out All Them Witches (good workout music)

davef
11-23-2021, 05:33 PM
This is a drum cam view of Gavin Harrison playing "Anesthetize" off "Fear Of A Blank Planet". He's such a talented drummer. Up there with some of the greats like Peart and Carey imo. I'm a drummer myself and don't do comparisons like that lightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6suv3mraIhw

Fantastic, and IMO, the best PT song.

Also check out Gavin's work with The Pineapple Thief

donaldekelly
11-23-2021, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the videos and tips re: Porcupine Tree.

How do The Pineapple Thief and Dream Theater relate or compare to PT? I seem to see those bands mentioned a lot when PT is mentioned. Maybe it is just coincidence. Would a fan of Porcupine Tree like those bands? Other suggestions?

Allmusic: "While (The Pineapple Thief's) music is often likened to Radiohead's and Porcupine Tree's, the generalization falls far short in describing a constantly evolving sound that deftly balances sophisticated indie pop, theatrical rock, 21st century prog, textured electro-acoustic ambiences, and neo-psychedelia. While earlier recordings such as Variations on a Dream may have justified some critics' capacity for comparison to Porcupine Tree and other genre-bleeding acts, later recordings, such as 2008's Tightly Unwound -- their KScope debut -- showcased increasingly expansive pop songwriting that featured canny arrangements and advanced instrumental acumen."

Allmusic: "Long Island, New York's Dream Theater are the globally celebrated standard bearers for progressive metal in the 21st century. Their ability to deliver tight, melodic, musically sophisticated songs and thematic concept recordings encompassing elements of hook-based hard rock, riff-fueled metal, syncopated prog, and refined lyrics have made them the act others are measured by."

Pogre
11-24-2021, 04:35 AM
Fantastic, and IMO, the best PT song.

Also check out Gavin's work with The Pineapple Thief

Admittedly my tastes lean toward the heavier side, but you and I seem to line up closely with a lot of music!

I haven't heard any Pineapple Thief but they're definitely on my radar to check out now. Gavin is an amazing drummer with incredible limb independence.

racrawford65
11-24-2021, 04:36 AM
Can't comment on Pinneapple Thief as not heard any of their stuff, but I can hear some similarities between Porcupine Tree (just listened to The Incident yesterday, will listen to Signify over the holiday, and have Fear of a Blank Planet on order as Dave mentioned it's his favorite) and Dream Theater. I think if you like PT you'll like Dream Theater, although I've not heard any of their newer stuff but listened to alot of their older stuff. Try the Images and Words or Awake albums. I also saw DT many years ago live...great show.

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Pogre
11-24-2021, 04:39 AM
Thanks for all the videos and tips re: Porcupine Tree.

How do The Pineapple Thief and Dream Theater relate or compare to PT? I seem to see those bands mentioned a lot when PT is mentioned. Maybe it is just coincidence. Would a fan of Porcupine Tree like those bands? Other suggestions?

Allmusic: "While (The Pineapple Thief's) music is often likened to Radiohead's and Porcupine Tree's, the generalization falls far short in describing a constantly evolving sound that deftly balances sophisticated indie pop, theatrical rock, 21st century prog, textured electro-acoustic ambiences, and neo-psychedelia. While earlier recordings such as Variations on a Dream may have justified some critics' capacity for comparison to Porcupine Tree and other genre-bleeding acts, later recordings, such as 2008's Tightly Unwound -- their KScope debut -- showcased increasingly expansive pop songwriting that featured canny arrangements and advanced instrumental acumen."

Allmusic: "Long Island, New York's Dream Theater are the globally celebrated standard bearers for progressive metal in the 21st century. Their ability to deliver tight, melodic, musically sophisticated songs and thematic concept recordings encompassing elements of hook-based hard rock, riff-fueled metal, syncopated prog, and refined lyrics have made them the act others are measured by."

I'd say PT is a little more psychadelic prog rock and DT has a more metal sound. Both are great and unique within their respective genres, and talented musicians across the board. DT I would consider the heavier sounding of the 2.

donaldekelly
11-24-2021, 07:41 AM
Oops - I started the abbreviation of PT - by which I meant Porcupine Tree. I assume racrawford65 meant PTree also, and Pogre meant PThief

natetg57
11-24-2021, 08:02 AM
I think TPT is the preferred abreviation for The Pineapple Thief. I enjoy them very much, especially the album 'Your Wilderness'. Their live bluray is excellent as well with two different surround mixes and includes the complete 'Your Wilderness' album in surround.

Pogre
11-24-2021, 08:34 AM
I think TPT is the preferred abreviation for The Pineapple Thief. I enjoy them very much, especially the album 'Your Wilderness'. Their live bluray is excellent as well with two different surround mixes and includes the complete 'Your Wilderness' album in surround.

Just for the record, when I type "PT" I'm referring to Porcupine Tree... TPT just hit my radar so they're on my to do list.

racrawford65
11-24-2021, 08:58 AM
Ditto ... PT = Porcupine Tree...

Pogre
11-25-2021, 06:52 AM
Checking out TPT right now starting with their album "Your Wilderness", song 1 "In Exile" and wow. If you told me it was Porcupine Tree I'd believe it. I know it's because I recognize Gavin's playing. I'm sure after spending more time listening they'll take on their own sound. I used to think Chevelle sounded a lot like Tool but that melted away after listening to them some more.

So far so good tho. I like what I'm hearing.

https://youtu.be/8LTh10MHMOo

donaldekelly
11-25-2021, 03:08 PM
As an aside - is there a discussion on the forum of mp3 services like Spotify vs purchasing the albums - or CDS? I will prbobably find it if I just search.

I am just in the habit of buying CDS and like having something to hold in my hand - but there is no logic there. Buying CDS is much better for the artists usually. I just remembered I signed up for spotify so will probably use Spotify and Pogre's linked videos to checkout TPT and DT to see what cds I purchase next.

natetg57
11-25-2021, 05:52 PM
As an aside - is there a discussion on the forum of mp3 services like Spotify vs purchasing the albums - or CDS? I will prbobably find it if I just search.

I am just in the habit of buying CDS and like having something to hold in my hand - but there is no logic there. Buying CDS is much better for the artists usually. I just remembered I signed up for spotify so will probably use Spotify and Pogre's linked videos to checkout TPT and DT to see what cds I purchase next.

Some artists have an option to download their albums directly in FLAC or MP3 from their own website.

davef
11-28-2021, 08:56 PM

This is pretty much exactly what I do. If I like something on Spotify or any streaming service, in most situations I will just buy the CD, rip it to FLAC, and then put the CD into storage. If I can't buy the CD (new or used), I will check Band Camp to see if it is downloadable in an uncompressed format.

donaldekelly
11-30-2021, 08:46 AM
Yes - Bandcamp seems to be the place to sell your own MP3s - or on your own website at times. Sometimes on ebay it is clear that the cds are coming from the artist directly.

Thanks - I no longer need a discussion of this topic.

Outlaw Cajon
12-02-2021, 09:26 AM
Steven Wilson "Insurgentes" DVD 5.1 Audio

PersonalTriumph
12-02-2021, 10:22 AM
First, thank you all - as a result of your geeking out over the new Porcupine Tree song a few days ago, I went down a Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson rabbit hole that I see no way out of. :cool:

Last night I made a Tidal playlist of all the acts tangentially connected to PT and Steven. So far it includes:

Porcupine Tree (obvi)
Steven Wilson solo stuff (also obvi)
Colin Edwin solo stuff
The Pineapple Thief (BTW I keep getting these two mixed up - is it Pineapple Tree or Porcupine Thief...wait...)
Blackfield
Storm Corrosion

Are there any I'm missing?

davef
12-02-2021, 03:21 PM
First, thank you all - as a result of your geeking out over the new Porcupine Tree song a few days ago, I went down a Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson rabbit hole that I see no way out of. :cool:

Last night I made a Tidal playlist of all the acts tangentially connected to PT and Steven. So far it includes:

Porcupine Tree (obvi)
Colin Edwin solo stuff
The Pineapple Thief (BTW I keep getting these two mixed up - is it Pineapple Tree or Porcupine Thief...wait...)
Blackfield
Storm Corrosion

Welcome to the club :)

Also Check out:

No Man
Opeth

Opeth is heavier and every album is very different. The album Damnation (produced by Wilson) is very mellow - it's one of my goto's and a personal favorite.

Also check out these 2 bands.

Riverside and OSI, both daily listens for me. Riverside just released a new compilation.

Outlaw Cajon
12-03-2021, 06:33 AM

Porcupine Tree (obvi)
Colin Edwin solo stuff
Blackfield
Storm Corrosion

:D
Very Nice!! I discovered Porcupine Tree around 2006, when I previewed their album, "Signify" from eMusic's online download site. Wow! Today; I own just about everything that I could get my hands on on CD, DVD DTS 5.1 (including the concert video, "Arriving Somewhere" - Live from Chicago (a definite Must Have!!!), & most of the releases on Vinyl. Those include Steven Wilson's solo catalog. I've also preordered the upcoming PT album which doesn't release until next June.
The Pineapple Thief, I've been listening to since around 2008. I do have a couple of their newer releases on vinyl. But; going back to the beginning, I think the only album (on CD) that I don't have is the release, "4 Stories Down".
I highly, highly, recommend starting from the beginning! " Abducting The Unicorn" is fantastic! As are all of those early albums. I certainly enjoy their newer music, as well.
I have the first 2 Blackfield albums on CD, and most of the No-Man releases on CD, as well.

I do not have any Storm Corrosion, Bass Communion, or any of the other PT members solo work (yet).
Interestingly; Colin Edwin is not listed as being part of the lineup on the upcoming Porcupine Tree album. It has been mentioned that Steven is playing bass on the record. There has been 1 song released from the new album. It's on YT, and is titled, 'Harridan'.

Around 2007, somewhere along the way, I discovered Dream Theater. Like, PT or TPT, I can mention these bands to folks on the street, many of my friends, etc,,,, and nobody knows who I'm talking about. Ha! I was even at a brewpub in Northampton, MA in 2007 which is very close to NYC, and mentioned DT to some folks. They had no idea who I was talking about! Of course; I mention NYC because DT began on Long Island.
So; I went crazy and purchased early DT on CD, including, their grandiose DVD concert Live from Radio City Music Hall celebrating 20 years as a band! Great concert, too, featuring a full orchestra during the second half oif the show! I believe, "Octavarian" had been released just prior to the show.
Great musicians! No question! But; I'm just not a big fan James Labrie's singing. Some of it is okay. That's just me. I've never been a serious metal consumer.
As a band, they are amazing. Of course; Mike Portnoy, drummer & one of the orignal founders left in 2010 to pursue new avenues.
With that said; if you haven't listened to 'Liquid Tension Experiment' featuring John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, and Tony Levin - check it out!! I think Jordan Rudess is also one or two of these albums. It's an instrumental side project going back about 20 years. They just released "LTE 3". I have their first album on CD, and have a download of the 2nd release.

- Greg

Outlaw Cajon
12-03-2021, 07:14 AM

Also Check out:

No Man
Opeth

Opeth is heavier and every album is very different. The album Damnation (produced by Wilson) is very mellow - it's one of my goto's and a personal favorite.

Riverside and OSI, both daily listens for me. Riverside just released a new compilation.

:cool: Thanks for posting, David!

Opeth! I know that Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt are friends, and Steven has worked on some of Opeth's records.
I need to check, especially, into the 'more mellow' offering from them.
Riverside is another band that I think I've heard Steven Wilson mention during interviews. I need to give them a listen. OSI, I've heard of. Just not familiar with them. IEM (Incredible Expanding Mindf***) is another project of Wilson's that I haven't listened to.
I remember discovering the Burning Shed store in England! Want to get thrown for a loop??!! Lol!
They have bands and some individual artists' albums for sale - all formats, that I have never heard of!
I ordered my PT album, "Stupid Dream" on vinyl from them many years ago! A great site with great customer service!!
I recently ordered PT's DVD 5.1 Audio set, "Octane Twisted" from them. This is their Live show of the tour following PT's last album, "The Incident".

- Greg

Pogre
12-03-2021, 12:08 PM
This is pretty much exactly what I do. If I like something on Spotify or any streaming service, in most situations I will just buy the CD, rip it to FLAC, and then put the CD into storage. If I can't buy the CD (new or used), I will check Band Camp to see if it is downloadable in an uncompressed format.

I do the same thing. If I hear something I like I buy the cd and rip it to FLAC then store the cd for backup.

Man I love the digital age. All of my music in high quality at my fingertips is awesome. I read an article recently "Were the 70s the Golden Age for Audio?". I think yes and no. Lots of cool new things were happening then but I think we're living in the best of times for audio now. The gear has never been so good on the speaker front.

Outlaw Cajon
12-03-2021, 03:01 PM
King Crimson - "In The Court Of The Crimson King" * DVD DTS 5.1 Surround

Released in 1969, it remains a Classic for the ages. If you have not listened to this album in its entirety, you are missing out. In 5.1, it's really fun! :o

http://https://www.dgmlive.com/news/51%20years%20old%20today%20In%20The%20Court%20Of%2 0King%20Crimson (https://www.dgmlive.com/news/51%20years%20old%20today%20In%20The%20Court%20Of%2 0King%20Crimson)

It's also quite nice on vinyl in good old Stereo!

- Greg

davef
12-03-2021, 03:15 PM
King Crimson - "In The Court Of The Crimson King" * DVD DTS 5.1 Surround

Released in 1969, it remains a Classic for the ages. If you have not listened to this album in its entirety, you are missing out. In 5.1, it's really fun! :o

http://https://www.dgmlive.com/news/51%20years%20old%20today%20In%20The%20Court%20Of%2 0King%20Crimson (https://www.dgmlive.com/news/51%20years%20old%20today%20In%20The%20Court%20Of%2 0King%20Crimson)

It's also quite nice on vinyl in good old Stereo!

- Greg

100% agree, this is old but a true classic. Up there in the ranks of old school Pink Floyd.

davef
12-03-2021, 04:27 PM
With that said; if you haven't listened to 'Liquid Tension Experiment' featuring John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, and Tony Levin - check it out!! I think Jordan Rudess is also one or two of these albums. It's an instrumental side project going back about 20 years. They just released "LTE 3". I have their first album on CD, and have a download of the 2nd release.- Greg

Funny that you mention LTE. A few weeks ago I downloaded a spotify mix called Instrumental Madness. Great Mix, however one particular song really left an impression with me, it was truly madness - incredibly complex, reminded me a of an old favorite of mine, Hocus Pocus by Focus. That song is Acid Rain by LTE, and they have been in my rotation ever since.

PersonalTriumph
12-04-2021, 10:52 AM
Very Nice!! I discovered Porcupine Tree around 2006, when I previewed their album, "Signify" from eMusic's online download site. Wow! Today; I own just about everything that I could get my hands on on CD, DVD DTS 5.1 (including the concert video, "Arriving Somewhere" - Live from Chicago (a definite Must Have!!!), & most of the releases on Vinyl. Those include Steven Wilson's solo catalog. I've also preordered the upcoming PT album which doesn't release until next June.
The Pineapple Thief, I've been listening to since around 2008. I do have a couple of their newer releases on vinyl. But; going back to the beginning, I think the only album (on CD) that I don't have is the release, "4 Stories Down".
I highly, highly, recommend starting from the beginning! " Abducting The Unicorn" is fantastic! As are all of those early albums. I certainly enjoy their newer music, as well.
I have the first 2 Blackfield albums on CD, and most of the No-Man releases on CD, as well.

I do not have any Storm Corrosion, Bass Communion, or any of the other PT members solo work (yet).
Interestingly; Colin Edwin is not listed as being part of the lineup on the upcoming Porcupine Tree album. It has been mentioned that Steven is playing bass on the record. There has been 1 song released from the new album. It's on YT, and is titled, 'Harridan'.

Around 2007, somewhere along the way, I discovered Dream Theater. Like, PT or TPT, I can mention these bands to folks on the street, many of my friends, etc,,,, and nobody knows who I'm talking about. Ha! I was even at a brewpub in Northampton, MA in 2007 which is very close to NYC, and mentioned DT to some folks. They had no idea who I was talking about! Of course; I mention NYC because DT began on Long Island.
So; I went crazy and purchased early DT on CD, including, their grandiose DVD concert Live from Radio City Music Hall celebrating 20 years as a band! Great concert, too, featuring a full orchestra during the second half oif the show! I believe, "Octavarian" had been released just prior to the show.
Great musicians! No question! But; I'm just not a big fan James Labrie's singing. Some of it is okay. That's just me. I've never been a serious metal consumer.
As a band, they are amazing. Of course; Mike Portnoy, drummer & one of the orignal founders left in 2010 to pursue new avenues.
With that said; if you haven't listened to 'Liquid Tension Experiment' featuring John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, and Tony Levin - check it out!! I think Jordan Rudess is also one or two of these albums. It's an instrumental side project going back about 20 years. They just released "LTE 3". I have their first album on CD, and have a download of the 2nd release.

- Greg

I got the dvd after Pogre mentioned it a few weeks back. The music is great...the video production not so much. I wish they had just focused on the musicians instead of trying to get all artsy with the black and white grainy B.S.

I'm sad Colin isn't part of the new record. I really enjoyed his playing and the ever-present joyful grin on his face while he's playing on stage.

Here's my playlist if anyone wants to borrow it: https://tidal.com/playlist/906f9ead-bd8e-4385-a0ec-d5b39f85353a

Outlaw Cajon
12-04-2021, 12:12 PM
Billy Cobham - "Spectrum" (CD * release date: 1973)
Can you say, BADASS!!?? On the forefront of Fusion along with The Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Birds Of Fire". :cool:

Stratus!!!!!!

- Greg

Outlaw Cajon
12-04-2021, 12:21 PM
I got the dvd after Pogre mentioned it a few weeks back. The music is great...the video production not so much. I wish they had just focused on the musicians instead of trying to get all artsy with the black and white grainy B.S.

I'm sad Colin isn't part of the new record. I really enjoyed his playing and the ever-present joyful grin on his face while he's playing on stage.

Here's my playlist if anyone wants to borrow it: https://tidal.com/playlist/906f9ead-bd8e-4385-a0ec-d5b39f85353a

:cool: Steven Wilson's "Home Invasion" Concert Video from his 3 night residency @ The Royal Albert Hall is, on the other hand, a gorgeous Bluray presentation! A damn fine 5 LP Boxset, too!

- Greg

Outlaw Cajon
12-05-2021, 06:27 AM
Funny that you mention LTE. A few weeks ago I downloaded a spotify mix called Instrumental Madness. Great Mix, however one particular song really left an impression with me, it was truly madness - incredibly complex, reminded me a of an old favorite of mine, Hocus Pocus by Focus. That song is Acid Rain by LTE, and they have been in my rotation ever since.

That's great to hear, David! :D I was looking for my CD of the first LTE release yesterday, and cannot find it! Very strange, and I was wondering if I had possibly loaned it out to a friend?! If so; it's been awhile now. I need to get out to Discogs and search for a nice copy of it along with 'LTE 2'. Their latest should still readily be available.
You mention, 'complex' when speaking about them. I think that really holds true with these guys! Vocals withstanding, listening to any of Dream Theater's music, to me, has a serious 'Wow' factor! These guys are all virtuoso musicians! Not to even mention, Tony Levin on bass and Chapman Stick! Just look at the guy's resume! Peter Gabriel, King Crimson!!! Those 2 alone, and the list goes on! When Jordan Rudess came on board playing keyboards many years back now with DT; Incredible! Lol! And, look at John Petrucci on guitars!! My Goodness!!! Ha! And, John Myung on bass! Yeah!! Dream Theater plays with a stacked deck! Of course; Mike Mangini has been their drummer since 2010 when Mike Portnoy (original DT founder along with Petrucci, & Myung) decided to move on. I guess once Mangini auditioned, the decision was made! Lol! He's a pretty amazing percussionist!
To get a bit sidetracked, It reminds me of when Alex & Geddy first heard Neil Peart! The decision was made! They had found their new drummer. That was July 29th, 1974, by the way. :cool: The rest is musical history! Oh! And, talk about complex music! Rush had lots and lots of that! What a trio with the chops!!
To me personally, there are several bands with a single virtuoso player. Even rarer perhaps, the bands with a couple!
Porcupine Tree & Steven Wilson's solo bands are much like DT, King Crimson, & Rush; only the very best available play on Steven Wilson's projects! Although there were a few changes in early PT personnel, the lineup in their most popular iteration; Gavin Harrison, Richard Barbieri, Colin Edwin, & Steven Wilson, & also John Wesley (guitarist / background vocals) on ocassion, were hand picked! That holds true when he began his solo projects and PT came to an end * with the release
of, "The Incident" and subsequent tour, 'Octane Twisted".
Yeah! Each of his solo releases features different musicians to fit the requirement of what he is writing at the time. He likes talking about how he does not want to repeat something he has already done. For many of his listeners, me included, that philosophy really hit home with, "To The Bone"!! Yikes! Lol! What is he doing??!! And; his latest album is even further removed from that Porcupine Tree sound; " The Future Bites"! :)
That's okay, though! I did finally order both of those albums on vinyl & Bluray. They settled in after some listening.
I feel Steven Wilson always surrounds himself with the finest musicians for the job. In the studio, and translating that to his live shows.

It's funny though; looking back to the 70s, (easy for me; I'm 67 :rolleyes:) there were quite a few bands with quite a few virtuoso players!! Focus, famous for that album, "Hocus Pocus", as David mentions, comes to mind! What a great sound, too!!
ELP & Yes, are two of my personal favorites in the progressive arena.
Some of my favorite Jazz musicians/groups; Al Di Meola, Return To Forever, Weather Report, Billy Cobham, & The Mahavishnu Orchestra certainly come to my mind, as well! No posers allowed here, folks! Virtuoso's all of them!

* It has been nearly 13 years since Porcupine Tree released their last album, "The Incident". Recently, it was announced the release of a new album, "Closure / Continuation". It officially releases on June 24th, 2022. The single, 'Harridan' is available on YT.

- Greg

Outlaw Cajon
12-05-2021, 10:52 AM
Steven Wilson "4 1/2" 180 gram LP

https://i.postimg.cc/BZY67WcC/20211205-124806.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/7ZL5YHHd/20211205-124900.jpg

- Greg

donaldekelly
12-05-2021, 11:38 AM

Also Check out:

No Man
Opeth

Riverside and OSI

Darn - how am I ever going to save up for an upgrade! JK

donaldekelly
12-05-2021, 11:47 AM
I guess I am the Luddite here

I have never thought it worth using FLAC - maybe if you play it through good speakers it makes a diffference - so maybe I should try it. I usually use mp3s at a high quality setting.

Also, now that I have a decent center speaker I just happened to find a DT dvd in a thrift store - time to check it out! (Metropolis 2000)

Outlaw Cajon
12-05-2021, 01:16 PM
I guess I am the Luddite here

I have never thought it worth using FLAC - maybe if you play it through good speakers it makes a diffference - so maybe I should try it. I usually use mp3s at a high quality setting.

Also, now that I have a decent center speaker I just happened to find a DT dvd in a thrift store - time to check it out! (Metropolis 2000)

Lol! You're a step ahead of me! I have no streaming service or music server, nor do I have any real playlists. I listen to Spotify on my phone when I'm working out, and rarely while driving. Several years back, I did download a few flac files, and created CDs.
I'm an album guy. When I drop the stylus, I play the entire LP. When I load the Oppo, I play the entire CD. The Sony 5.1 receiver, the center channel, rear channels, and subwoofer are off. 2 channel only. :cool:

- Greg

Outlaw Cajon
12-05-2021, 01:55 PM
Junior Brown is a lot of fun to listen to, but to fully appreciate him, I think you have to watch him play. Try looking up some videos on youtube.

Absolutely! Love his 'Surf' Medley!!!

racrawford65
12-05-2021, 02:11 PM
Lol! You're a step ahead of me! I have no streaming service or music server, nor do I have any real playlists. I listen to Spotify on my phone when I'm working out, and rarely while driving. Several years back, I did download a few flac files, and created CDs.
I'm an album guy. When I drop the stylus, I play the entire LP. When I load the Oppo, I play the entire CD. The Sony 5.1 receiver, the center channel, rear channels, and subwoofer are off. 2 channel only. :cool:

- Greg
I occasionally listen to Pandora, did rip all my cd’s to flac on my pc, and did pickup a Cambridge Audio streamer earlier this year. But seldom use the ripped files (did copy some to a usb stick for rental cars in Rio when there as radio sucks) or streamer. Rather play an lp in it’s entirety in 2 channel w/ subs as well.

Outlaw Cajon
12-05-2021, 03:00 PM
I occasionally listen to Pandora, did rip all my cd’s to flac on my pc, and did pickup a Cambridge Audio streamer earlier this year. But seldom use the ripped files (did copy some to a usb stick for rental cars in Rio when there as radio sucks) or streamer. Rather play an lp in it’s entirety in 2 channel w/ subs as well.

Nice! After about 13 months of ownership, I'm still running my Sierra Towers with no subwoofer unless I'm playing something in 5.1. My Mirage is connected directly to my Sony ES. It's quite good with everything running in 5.1! I do plan on buying a better subwoofer from David in the future, and connecting to run in my stereo front end.

racrawford65
12-05-2021, 03:39 PM
Cool. Can’t go wrong with Rythmiks for music. I run dual E15s. With movies, I also add an old Outlaw LFM1

Outlaw Cajon
12-06-2021, 05:56 AM
Cool. Can’t go wrong with Rythmiks for music. I run dual E15s. With movies, I also add an old Outlaw LFM1

So, I've heard! :cool: I might be able to swing a new subwoofer later in 2022. One will most likely be all I buy, as is my present configuration.
Much of my current 5.1 system goes back to 2007 when I bought the Sony ES AVR, Mirage OmniSats (I bought 5 to cover all channels), along with the Mirage S10 Sub. At that time, you might say, I was between turntables. To be more precise; I really had no plans to buy another one. (The year 2012, it began again) I had sold most of my records, and was listening to CDs pretty much exclusively. It was a nice setup, too. Those OmniSats on pedestals on the front made some good sounds, especially since they were tied directly to that Mirage 250watt sub.
But; the above needs to be continued over in the 'Introductions' thread, I believe.

While I've always been blown away by the Sierra Towers standing alone in stereo, when I switch on the Sony, flip on the HT Bypass on my Jolida tube amp, with all channels running, listening to a 5.1 DVD (audio or video) or watching a movie/listening to a Bluray, the magic happens. So; I am getting a little anxious to tie my Mirage subwoofer into the Sierra Towers for some added bass excitement. I am just not sure how to do that since the subwoofer is currently connected directly to my Sony via a subwoofer cable.

So! Currently, I'm listening to Spyro Gyra's "Morning Dance" on LP vinyl! :cool:

- Greg

donaldekelly
12-06-2021, 09:27 PM
Back to the King Crimson comment - I like the first album, and some "Discipline" era stuff, but I haven't found myself able to get into anything else by them - except Fripps work with David Sylvian. Any suggestions? I have the four cd set Frame by Frame and a few one disc collections.

Outlaw Cajon
12-10-2021, 07:00 AM
On this misty Friday morning, listening to Jean Luc Ponty's, "Imaginary Voyage". 👍On CD from 1976. 🤠

- Greg

Outlaw Cajon
12-10-2021, 08:36 AM
"Black Diamond" - The Rippingtons! (CD)

Listening to that opening track, I dare anyone to say the towers don't kick ass in the bass department! Of course; like bacon, can you ever have too much??!!!
One day, I'll incorporate my subwoofer to my 2 channel stereo front end.

The thing is; the Sierra Towers showcase their nice bass when it's called upon. Never overdone, for sure! But; when there is bass in the source material, the towers don't disappoint.
YMMV 🎶

- Greg

Outlaw Cajon
12-10-2021, 01:02 PM
Currently listening to....
The Pineapple Thief, "Abducting The Unicorn" from 1999. 🍻👍🎶

racrawford65
12-10-2021, 03:51 PM
Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets -- vinyl that I picked up in Rio de Janeiro about 2 weeks ago.

davef
12-14-2021, 05:07 PM
Something new, but very much enjoying it.

Album = "Lighthouse" by I am the Morning. A progressive rock duo out of Russia. Very mellow and relaxing. Just what the Dr. ordered today!

Bruce Watson
12-15-2021, 01:04 PM
It's the season, so...

Tis the Season by the Washington Saxophone Quartet. This isn't rock, it's not classical, it's just four guys with saxophones. The color pallet is... limited. The harmonic range is... limited. Dynamic range... limited.

Yet, they manage to exceed their limits and make it work. It is exceedingly tasteful, and respects the Xmas spirit without being commercial; it is beautiful. As Dave might say "very mellow and relaxing". And I guarantee some arrangements you haven't heard before, which is saying something for Xmas music! :rolleyes:

racrawford65
12-23-2021, 01:14 PM
Just in from the UK - Tesla Mechanical Resonance Record Store Day release. Blue vinyl. Sounds really good.

donaldekelly
12-23-2021, 07:06 PM
I happened to have my phone on random play and Randy Stonehill's Love Beyond Reason opening track came up. I don't particualrly like that album though I do like Randy - especially in concert - he is very funny.

Anyway - before I could get up to skip the song I noticed how good it sounded through Ascend S1s. Makes sense - he had talented pros working on that album, but I have never much liked the song - till now.

Not a recommendation of that album. Welcome to Paradise, Return to Paradise or Equator are usually considered his best albums. Good song writer, limited but moving singer, and great comedian - in my opinion. He likes to sing about Jesus - but not in an obnoxious way.

Love Beyond Reason C
Randy Stonehill A-
Ascend S1 speakers A+

- I know you have all heard better but I still find it hard to imagine a speaker sounding better.

upgrayedd
01-05-2022, 10:24 PM
Marvin Gaye - Trouble Man Soundtrack (24 bit/192 FLAC)

donaldekelly
01-06-2022, 06:23 AM
Any other Marvin Gaye recommendations? He lived in my city till he was 20, but I haven't listened to much of his music.

Mag_Neato
01-06-2022, 06:28 AM
Tierney Sutton: Dancing In The Dark

upgrayedd
01-06-2022, 06:21 PM
Any other Marvin Gaye recommendations? He lived in my city till he was 20, but I haven't listened to much of his music.

What's Going On is a good album. There's a 2002 remaster and that sounds nice in FLAC

upgrayedd
01-06-2022, 06:34 PM
Tonight I've listened to:

-Alice In Chains - Dirt
-Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

donaldekelly
01-06-2022, 10:33 PM
I have this two CD collection.

I will have to figure out what to get next without too much duplication.

Or just give in to the obvious, if reviews are correct. That What's Going On is a necessity. And everything he put out from 1966 to 1982. Or at least every album from 1971 to 1978 (except the 74 live album).

AllMusic rates these very highly:

Take Two (1966)
United (1967)
What's Going On (1971)
Trouble Man (1972)
Let's Get it On (1973)
I Want You (1976)
Live at the Paladium (1977)
Here My Dear (1978)

racrawford65
01-08-2022, 03:19 AM

-Alice In Chains - Dirt

Awesome. Love both those bands and have seen them live back in the early 90's. AIC opening for Ozzy and Soundgarden as a headliner and at Lallapaloza. RIP Layne & Chris.

upgrayedd
01-08-2022, 10:11 AM
Awesome. Love both those bands and have seen them live back in the early 90's. AIC opening for Ozzy and Soundgarden as a headliner and at Lallapaloza. RIP Layne & Chris.

That would be awesome to see. I've seen Ozzy a couple times at Ozzfest. Soundgarden had a great producer, Terry Date, that has quite a résumé.

Outlaw Cajon
01-08-2022, 10:52 PM
"Someone Here Is Missing" - The Pineapple Thief
We will be seeing them in Nashville on May 18th. Cannot wait!!!

racrawford65
01-09-2022, 07:19 AM
That would be awesome to see. I've seen Ozzy a couple times at Ozzfest. Soundgarden had a great producer, Terry Date, that has quite a résumé.

I've seen Ozzy several times, as well, including both the Blizzard (with Motorhead opening on the Ace of Spades tour) and Dairy tours (UFO opening) with Randy Rhodes (RIP). UFO puts on a great live show - if you don't have it, pick up their live album "Strangers in the Night" - one of the best live albums I've heard (along with Thin Lizzie's Live & Dangerous).

upgrayedd
01-09-2022, 09:25 PM
Today it was

Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire
Rollins Band - The End of Silence
Dr. Dre - The Chronic (Remastered)

davef
01-11-2022, 12:27 AM
"Someone Here Is Missing" - The Pineapple Thief
We will be seeing them in Nashville on May 18th. Cannot wait!!!

They are playing in Los Angeles on May 27th at a small theater. It is quite a drive for me but definitely considering it!

davef
01-11-2022, 12:57 AM

-Alice In Chains - Dirt

Both of these should be considered classics and in everyone's library!!!

upgrayedd
01-15-2022, 04:25 PM
Got my Sierra-2EX's today so what am I listening to? Everything!

But right at this moment I'm listening to Mastodon - Cold Dark Place

racrawford65
01-15-2022, 05:57 PM
Mastodon rocks!

davef
01-17-2022, 04:37 PM
Got my Sierra-2EX's today so what am I listening to? Everything!

But right at this moment I'm listening to Mastodon - Cold Dark Place

Mastodon rocks!

Leviathan is a favorite of mine. Latest release Hushed and Grim, is excellent.

racrawford65
01-17-2022, 04:51 PM

Agree, both are really great albums.

davef
01-17-2022, 05:46 PM
Agree, both are really great albums.

Almost forgot "Crack The Skye".... Also excellent.

upgrayedd
01-17-2022, 07:48 PM

Oooh I need to get that one. Before Mastodon, their drummer did some really good work in another band, Today is the Day. Also the guitarist Bill-something played bass on the album too

https://youtu.be/nWfBgv9lD6U

racrawford65
01-18-2022, 03:26 AM
Almost forgot "Crack The Skye".... Also excellent.

Thanks for the recommendation, Dave. I'll have to get that one, as well.

davef
01-18-2022, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, Dave. I'll have to get that one, as well.

Crack The Skye is a bit more on the progressive side, which is likely why I enjoy it so much.

davef
01-18-2022, 05:53 PM
Oooh I need to get that one. Before Mastodon, their drummer did some really good work in another band, Today is the Day. Also the guitarist Bill-something played bass on the album too

https://youtu.be/nWfBgv9lD6U

Thanks for the recommendation! This is REALLY heavy, my son will love it!!

kelvinb
01-20-2022, 11:29 AM
Hello.
Currently listening to: "Do You Realize" by the Flaming Lips.
What about you guys?

Thanks for the recommendation alstonfered!

It's a nice combo of melancholic, nostalgic, sad but with a seize-the-day after taste song.... loved the video too.

Now if you allow me, this is me recommendation:

tonite by Alvvays (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXu6q-6JKjA)

Let me know what you think

Thanks,
Kelvinb

jerryg
01-20-2022, 05:16 PM
Vital TechTones

Track 5 - "Two for One" Well recorded instrumental track for checking out the bottom end; Victor Wooten on bass & Steve Smith on drums. Awesome!

davef
01-21-2022, 05:43 PM
Vital TechTones

Track 5 - "Two for One" Well recorded instrumental track for checking out the bottom end; Victor Wooten on bass & Steve Smith on drums. Awesome!

This is fantastic!!!

Having trouble finding a hires download of this album :(

davef
01-21-2022, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the recommendation alstonfered!

It's a nice combo of melancholic, nostalgic, sad but with a seize-the-day after taste song.... loved the video too.

Now if you allow me, this is me recommendation:

tonite by Alvvays (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXu6q-6JKjA)

Let me know what you think

Thanks,
Kelvinb

Thanks for this, not at all familiar with this band but enjoying them. They remind me of a rather obscure band called Japanese Breakfast (who are now gaining in popularity) check them out...

jerryg
01-21-2022, 08:49 PM
This is fantastic!!!

Having trouble finding a hires download of this album :(

Yes, Qobuz doesn't have it and they usually do if it's available.

But, it sounds darn good even in 16/44.1. :)

jerryg
01-21-2022, 08:57 PM
Samantha Fish - Bulletproof (Romesh remix)

upgrayedd
01-22-2022, 03:51 PM
Worked 60 hours this week so didn't do much music listening. But today I'm just recovering so music is playing.

Ben Folds Five - Self-titled
Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf

I'm not very good at putting my thoughts about speakers into words but I really like how drums sound through the Sierra 2EX. Snare drums have really been grabbing my attention. Not just part of the mix anymore but rather like I have a live drummer right in front of me. Or I'm in the studio with the band and hearing the drums through the monitors. That's the impression I get.

jerryg
01-22-2022, 07:48 PM

upgrayedd
01-23-2022, 04:50 PM
Turnstile - Glow On

jerryg
01-23-2022, 10:58 PM
Toto/Tambu: Track-2 "I Will Remember".

Drum intro makes a good bass demo. This album received a Grammy for sound engineering. I can't speak for the musical (or art) content.

davef
01-24-2022, 10:19 PM
Yes, Qobuz doesn't have it and they usually do if it's available.

But, it sounds darn good even in 16/44.1. :)

Found an FLAC download here:

https://filecat.net/f/dz1WJc

davef
01-24-2022, 11:03 PM
Samantha Fish - Bulletproof (Romesh remix)

Good recommendation! I prefer the Tangle Eye Mix compared to this one, but both are excellent.

davef
01-24-2022, 11:15 PM
Worked 60 hours this week so didn't do much music listening. But today I'm just recovering so music is playing.

Ben Folds Five - Self-titled
Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf

Thanks! I am a fan of QOTSA...

jerryg
01-26-2022, 07:41 PM
Standout tracks are: 1,6,7

upgrayedd
01-29-2022, 03:42 PM
Morphine - Cure For Pain
Russian Circles - Blood Year

upgrayedd
01-30-2022, 02:25 AM
Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend
Tears For Fears - Big Chair

upgrayedd
02-01-2022, 03:03 PM
The Weeknd - Dawn FM
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Hive - Devious Methods

upgrayedd
02-03-2022, 03:31 PM
Unexpected day off today so I'm spending it between my Sierra's. I removed my current subwoofer because it really wasn't going any lower than the EX2. They really do have great bass for their size. Might add a Rythmik L12 soon though.

Deftones - Around The Fur
Godflesh - Merciless
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

racrawford65
02-04-2022, 12:14 PM
Got a few new LPs the other day. Today, I listened to the first:
Jazz Sabbath

Really good pressing and music was really good...jazz versions of several Sabbath songs - Fairies Wear Boots, Evil Woman, Rat Salad, Iron Man, Hand of Doom, Changes & Children of the The Grave. Have already pre-ordered Vol. 2, due out in April.

On the list:

Halford - Resurrection,
Queensryche - Promised Land,
STP - STP (2018), and
Porcupine Tree - In Abstenia (thanks, Dave, for the recommendation on the PT)

upgrayedd
02-05-2022, 05:15 AM
Got a few new LPs the other day. Today, I listened to the first:
Jazz Sabbath

Really good pressing and music was really good...jazz versions of several Sabbath songs - Fairies Wear Boots, Evil Woman, Rat Salad, Iron Man, Hand of Doom, Changes & Children of the The Grave. Have already pre-ordered Vol. 2, due out in April.

That sounds really interesting. I have heard Brown Sabbath but jazz versions sound cool.

racrawford65
02-05-2022, 05:39 AM
Yes, it was very good. Brown Sabbath - never heard of them. A quick search looks like it's a band from Austin called Brownout, with a Latin Funk twist.

See it on Amazon has mp3 download (and CD, but asking $45). Vinyl not available. Track list looked cool, so I downloaded the mp3 version of the album (only 6.99). Will give it a listen later.

upgrayedd
02-05-2022, 12:28 PM
Yes, it was very good. Brown Sabbath - never heard of them. A quick search looks like it's a band from Austin called Brownout, with a Latin Funk twist.

See it on Amazon has mp3 download (and CD, but asking $45). Vinyl not available. Track list looked cool, so I downloaded the mp3 version of the album (only 6.99). Will give it a listen later.

Yeah sorry I got the name wrong. By the way on bandcamp you can get your choice of FLAC, MP3 or even the original WAV files if you're into that.

https://brownout.bandcamp.com/album/brownout-presents-brown-sabbath

Jack1949
02-06-2022, 11:20 AM
Yeah sorry I got the name wrong. By the way on bandcamp you can get your choice of FLAC, MP3 or even the original WAV files if you're into that.

https://brownout.bandcamp.com/album/brownout-presents-brown-sabbath

Thanks for the Brownout suggestion! I never heard of them either (or bandcamp for that matter) and gave it a listen at bandcamp, then purchased the FLAC download.

upgrayedd
02-06-2022, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the Brownout suggestion! I never heard of them either (or bandcamp for that matter) and gave it a listen at bandcamp, then purchased the FLAC download.

Bandcamp is a great option because like you did, you can choose your format, even the original WAV files if you want. And most of that money goes directly to the artist unlike streaming services like Spotify which pay basically nothing. My band uses Bandcamp and we have been able to pay our rent and bills from digital download sales, so it's significant.

davef
02-10-2022, 12:40 AM

As a fan of Black Sabbath (who isn't?) - this is great! Thanks for the recommendation! Enjoying both Brown Sabbath and Jazz Sabbath, leaning a bit more towards Jazz Sabbath.

My recommendation for the day, check out El Ten Eleven.

racrawford65
02-10-2022, 06:15 AM
No worries, Dave. I'm leaning towards Jazz Sabbath as well.

Interesting how Jazz Sabbath came about -- formed by Adam Wakeman (touring keyboardist - and guitar - for Black Sabbath and Ozzy).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_Sabbath

jerryg
02-10-2022, 10:50 PM
The Crystal Method / Vegas

Track: High Roller (good for exercise or bass demo)

upgrayedd
02-12-2022, 08:59 PM
Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire

As a bass player I love his bass tone on this album. So much more than their first album. Mainly the difference is he switched from a Stingray to a Fender Jazz Bass.

davef
02-14-2022, 11:32 PM
The Crystal Method / Vegas

Track: High Roller (good for exercise or bass demo)

High Roller is on our music server as part of our 50+ song demo playlist :)

davef
02-14-2022, 11:45 PM
Today I am enjoying The War on Drugs latest release:

"I Don't Live Here Anymore"

It is excellent.... Not quite at the same level as their best "Lost in the Dream" - but that was a near perfect album IMO.

racrawford65
02-15-2022, 03:30 AM
Jerry Cantrell - Brighten
Latest release on vinyl. Very good pressing. Music is good, as well, although not as dark/heavy/moody as his work with Alice In Chains or some of his earlier solo releases.

natetg57
02-15-2022, 08:28 AM
Today I am enjoying The War on Drugs latest release:

"I Don't Live Here Anymore"

It is excellent.... Not quite at the same level as their best "Lost in the Dream" - but that was a near perfect album IMO.
Thanks for the tip, I've always enjoyed their sound

Mag_Neato
02-15-2022, 11:04 AM
Was listening to some Lyn Stanley and Tierney Sutton last night. Smoooooth and creamy!

upgrayedd
02-20-2022, 04:27 PM
Prong - Cleansing

davef
02-21-2022, 07:23 PM
Morphine - Cure For Pain
Russian Circles - Blood Year

Been getting into Russian Circles lately, quite diverse. I will check out Morphine.

davef
02-22-2022, 12:41 AM
The Weeknd - Dawn FM
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Hive - Devious Methods

I had my first listen to Massive Attack this evening, thanks to you. Really enjoying them, terrific dynamics!

kelvinb
02-23-2022, 02:24 PM
Sugar - Men I trust

kelvinb
02-23-2022, 02:26 PM
OMG "Cure for pain" is actually curing my pain :D.............. damn! I didn't know this guys... this was a gem find!!

Thanks for sharing!

racrawford65
02-23-2022, 06:26 PM
Fight - War of Words. Recently re-released on vinyl.

Fight was Rob Halford's first solo band after he left Judas Priest. The pressing is super clean and dynamic. The music is awesome - very heavy and great lyrics. IMO, heavier than his Judas Priest work. Actually also saw them live on the tour for this album back in 93 at a small venue here in Houston.

upgrayedd
02-25-2022, 04:05 PM
OMG "Cure for pain" is actually curing my pain :D.............. damn! I didn't know this guys... this was a gem find!!

Thanks for sharing!

It's great isn't it?

upgrayedd
02-25-2022, 04:06 PM
Fight - War of Words. Recently re-released on vinyl.

Fight was Rob Halford's first solo band after he left Judas Priest. The pressing is super clean and dynamic. The music is awesome - very heavy and great lyrics. IMO, heavier than his Judas Priest work. Actually also saw them live on the tour for this album back in 93 at a small venue here in Houston.

I remember this album. I may need to give it another listen because I don't think I've heard it since the 90's

upgrayedd
02-25-2022, 04:11 PM
Been listening to some drum & bass stuff lately:

Hive - Devious Methods
Lunatic Calm - Metropol
Propellerheads - Decksandrumsandrockandroll

jerryg
02-28-2022, 09:49 AM
Jason Damico

Running on Water
Reveal Me (Billy Idol meets Pearl Jam)

davef
02-28-2022, 04:49 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Also enjoying this!!! Great recommendation!

Pogre
03-02-2022, 06:00 AM
"Opiate²"!

https://youtu.be/KY7cofvtbco

This is a reimagined version of an old song from TOOL's first album. Man, they need to get going on a new album before Danny's too geriatric to play anymore!

upgrayedd
03-02-2022, 03:41 PM
"Opiate²"!

This is a reimagined version of an old song from TOOL's first album. Man, they need to get going on a new album before Danny's too geriatric to play anymore!

Back when I worked at a record store in the 90's I started ordering vinyl copies of new releases because they were so cheap. Store cost for LP was like $3-4 vs. $8-9 for CD. Plus I could see the quantities were much, much lower and after a few orders I even saw that LP's had different, more expanded artwork. Thus, I just started ordering everything for myself. One of those albums was Tool - Ænima. I wasn't particularly a fan of Tool but I had the album anyways, and it sat in my record collection unplayed for years and years. Recently I listed and sold a batch of records on eBay, and that's when I realized how valuable that Tool record is for some reason. Depending on the pressing and condition, Ænima prices ranged from $900 up to $2,500. I did list my copy for sale and had tons of inquiries, detailed photo requests, etc. I obliged with the interest for weeks until I just had enough and decided to keep it. I still haven't played it!

davef
03-02-2022, 04:06 PM
"Opiate²"!

https://youtu.be/KY7cofvtbco

Listened to this last night as it popped up on my Spotify account. I very much preferred the original.

upgrayedd
03-02-2022, 04:38 PM
Life of Agony - River Runs Red

I believe this came out in 1994 in the midst of moshable heavy music, and I remember how I had never heard this singing style paired with this genre before. They borrowed the drummer from Type O Negative for this album. The singer left the band, being replaced by Whitfield Crane of Ugly Kid Joe. Then they disbanded and reunited years later with the original singer now coming out as transgendered.

Pist-On - Number One

Sludgy and heavy but catchy songwriting and accessible to get into. Mostly clean vocals and backing vocal harmonies. I especially like their cover of The Smith's "Shoplifters Of The World". I get Type O Negative vibes from this album.

I guess I'm in a Type O Negative mood today so I should probably listen to that too.

Pogre
03-03-2022, 06:01 AM
Listened to this last night as it popped up on my Spotify account. I very much preferred the original.

I like them both a lot. Us long time TOOL fans are used to being so starved for new material any bone they toss us is a treat, lol.

The original is recorded differently tho. Their first 2 albums weren't overly compressed victims of the loudness wars.

racrawford65
03-03-2022, 01:58 PM
Limited selection for me at the moment as out of country trying to help my wife get back as she has a herniated disk. But i did bring a usb with about 1000 songs. Luckily I have both Tool and Type O Negative tracks on it.

upgrayedd
03-03-2022, 10:19 PM
Limited selection for me at the moment as out of country trying to help my wife get back as she has a herniated disk. But i did bring a usb with about 1000 songs. Luckily I have both Tool and Type O Negative tracks on it.

Nice. Do you like Carnivore too? You can hear some of Type O's signature sounds in it.

Pogre
03-04-2022, 12:52 PM
I recently discovered this Indian metal group, "Bloodywood" and was immediately really impressed with them. They manage to mix a few instruments and rhythms from their culture into a metal song that legit kicks some ass! Right down to the title even. "Machi Bhasad (Expect A Riot)".

https://youtu.be/Gsy5sJy5_34

That song straight up kicks ass!

upgrayedd
03-04-2022, 08:10 PM
Jimmy's Chicken Shack - Pushing the Salmanilla Envelope

racrawford65
03-05-2022, 02:54 PM
Haven’t heard Carnivore. Will try to check them out when I get back to US

upgrayedd
03-05-2022, 04:36 PM
Haven’t heard Carnivore. Will try to check them out when I get back to US

It's essentially the first incarnation of Type O Negative

upgrayedd
03-05-2022, 04:37 PM
Dead Confederate - Wrecking Ball

Pogre
03-07-2022, 01:59 PM
https://youtu.be/YV1l18JDYV8

kelvinb
03-08-2022, 12:39 PM
It's great isn't it?

Yup, these days I've been waking up listening to the sax solo in my mind :D hehe

davef
03-08-2022, 04:46 PM
I recently discovered this Indian metal group, "Bloodywood" and was immediately really impressed with them. They manage to mix a few instruments and rhythms from their culture into a metal song that legit kicks some ass! Right down to the title even. "Machi Bhasad (Expect A Riot)".

https://youtu.be/Gsy5sJy5_34

That song straight up kicks ass!

This is really insane! Wow!!!

davef
03-08-2022, 04:53 PM
https://youtu.be/YV1l18JDYV8

I like Soen, their Lykaia Revisited album is regular listen for me.

Pogre
03-09-2022, 12:25 PM
This is really insane! Wow!!!

I know, right? I stumbled across them watching a "metal bands from other countries" video and those guys blew me away. You can hear the cultural influence in the music, but it undoubtedly kicks ass at the same time!

It doesn't hurt that they sing in English too, lol.

davef
03-09-2022, 05:05 PM
You can hear the cultural influence in the music, but it undoubtedly kicks ass at the same time!

I think that is what makes it so appealing, so different than the norm.

davef
03-09-2022, 05:14 PM
Just recently came across this band from Greece and have been enjoying the heck out of them. They are classified as psychedelic rock but I hear so many different influences. Similar to another unknown band I enjoy called Tuber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPrCCmHowV4

davef
03-10-2022, 03:37 PM
Today is a good day! When I opened my Spotify app, i got an instant notification for a special pre-sale event for the upcoming Porcupine Tree concert. I jumped on this instantly and scored what I believe to be very good seats. September is a long ways away but seeing this band live is a bucket list item for me.