PDA

View Full Version : Receiver upgrade...

Jacob C
01-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi all, I've been running a Panasonic xr-57 with my 170's and an HSU stf-2. Over all I am really happy with this system except for 2 major issues:

1.) I now have more than 1 HDMI device and need HDMI switching. 3 ins preferably.

2.) The xr-57 will not pass a 1080p signal. Because of this I am left choosing between sending 1080p to the TV and sending audio to my receiver. Obviously the sound won so I am running a 1080i signal to a 1080p tv because of the receiver. Sad.

I have no complaints with the sound of this system but have found other inexpensive receivers to have inferior sound quality. I would like to keep the purchase in the $500 range and under no circumstance would I be willing to go over $1000. Sound quality is my priority and I will gladly sacrifice gadgets for it. The ability to decode the new DTS and DD formats would be a major plus. Is there anything in my price range that will sound as good, or better than the xr-57 and have the feature I need. Thanks so much for the help, I am so out of the loop right now.

DougMac
01-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Consider the Harman Kardon AVR 2600.

I don't have this receiver, I use an NAD and I've read that HK and NAD have similar sound qualities.

The 2600 seems to have solved most if not all the problems with the older HK 354.

I think whatever you get you'll like better than the Panny xr-57. Are you aware there's an LFE bug with that unit? How did you compensate?

My xr-57 made my Ascends sound thin and boomy. It has great highs, but that's about all I can say nice about it. I still use it in a non-critical 2 channel setup. When I swapped it out of my HT and replaced it with my older NAD T-762, the difference was astounding! My Ascends sounded so much better.

Doug
PS Dave, do you still sell HK? Do you offer the newer models? You might want to update your Electronics page.

kinggimp82
01-19-2010, 01:08 PM
I currently own a Onkyo TX-SR707 and I love it. It is selling for $600 at b&h right now. But if you look around you could probably get a better price. The sound is amazing. It has four hdmi inputs. I run all my hdmi devices to the receiver and then to the TV. It also has audessey for auto calibration. And it decodes the new audio formats like dts master audio and dolby true hd.

tank171
01-19-2010, 02:20 PM
I was looking for a reciever in the same price range as you. I ended up getting the Pioneer 1019. I did considerable research and Pioneer came out on top.

Sam1000
01-19-2010, 03:59 PM
I was looking for a reciever in the same price range as you. I ended up getting the Pioneer 1019. I did considerable research and Pioneer came out on top.

Can you share what did you like more about Pio receiver?
Thanks.

Jacob C
01-19-2010, 05:05 PM
The Harman Kardon AVR 2600 looks like a viable option. I have liked their products in the past. As for the sound of the panny, everything else I listened to under $500 seemed to lack the clarity of the panny, and not just in the highs. Maybe it is a preference but I like the HK sound.

LFE bug, no, I wasn't aware but I have noticed that I need to change my LFE levels depending on my source. For example, when playing through my CD player I need one level and through my Blu-ray player I need to set it differently. Is this related to the bug?

Feel free to keep throwing options at me.

DougMac
01-20-2010, 09:30 AM
LFE bug, no, I wasn't aware but I have noticed that I need to change my LFE levels depending on my source. For example, when playing through my CD player I need one level and through my Blu-ray player I need to set it differently. Is this related to the bug?

Probably. It has to do with the input source. Analog is fine, but digital sources were set 10db too low.

Here's a line from a forum discussing odd receiver behavior:
"Panasonic SA-XR57: can't bass manage multichannel PCM input - avoid "

From another:
"Can accept L-PCM audio over HDMI, however experiences the "LFE" bug where the subwoofer channel is incorrectly left 10db too low. This does not happen on the 5.1 analog input."

tank171
01-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Can you share what did you like more about Pio receiver?
Thanks.

Heres my comparison with various other receivers in the price range. Also, the CNET review says that the pioneer has the best sound quality in its price range.

Denon 1910: The denon has a nice video processor and all the audyssey features, but I have read that the pioneer MCACC does about the same, plus the pioneer has an equalizer. Ive read it has lesser SQ. I was actually planning on getting the denon, but I read that the pioneer has better SQ.

Yamaha 665: I have read that the YPAO is worse than MCACC and audyssey, it clips BTB and WTW (which may or may not be important), and I have read it is less powerful than the pioneer, or even the older 663.

Onkyo 607: This has some heat/reliability problems, has a lesser video processor, and lesser audyssey (2eq).

IDK which HK is in this price range, but I have heard of problems with them, especially with the PS3.

davef
01-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Consider the Harman Kardon AVR 2600.

I don't have this receiver, I use an NAD and I've read that HK and NAD have similar sound qualities.

The 2600 seems to have solved most if not all the problems with the older HK 354.

PS Dave, do you still sell HK? Do you offer the newer models? You might want to update your Electronics page.

The new HK's are quite nice. Best receiver line they have released in quite some time. Yes, we are still authorized dealers and the new HK's are available from us. We need to update the site -- this will be done soon.

Sam1000
01-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Heres my comparison with various other receivers in the price range. Also, the CNET review says that the pioneer has the best sound quality in its price range.

Denon 1910: The denon has a nice video processor and all the audyssey features, but I have read that the pioneer MCACC does about the same, plus the pioneer has an equalizer.

Yamaha 665: I have read that the YPAO is worse than MCACC and audyssey, it clips BTB and WTW (which may or may not be important), and I have read it is less powerful than the pioneer, or even the older 663.

Onkyo 607: This has some heat/reliability problems, has a lesser video processor, and lesser audyssey (2eq).

IDK which HK is in this price range, but I have heard of problems with them, especially with the PS3.

Thanks for sharing. Yes HK did have some issues with PS3 and they did release a few firmware upgrades to fix them. The newest models might have fixed all the issues though.