PDA

View Full Version : Onyko TX-SR706 won't output HD Audio

kinggimp82
01-14-2010, 07:25 PM
I got my new blu-ray today (Sony BDP-N460) and I can't get my receiver (Onyko TX-SR706) to output Dolby Digital, DTS, or any of the new formats. Normally the receiver shows what listening modes are available on the front display. With the player hooked to the receiver with hdmi it should be letting me use the HD listening modes. According to the manual my receiver can decode all the new formats. I don't know if there's just a setting that needs to be changed or if there is something wrong with the receiver. Is there anyone with the same receiver that has had similar issues?

Sam1000
01-14-2010, 08:07 PM
I got my new blu-ray today (Sony BDP-N460) and I can't get my receiver (Onyko TX-SR706) to output Dolby Digital, DTS, or any of the new formats. Normally the receiver shows what listening modes are available on the front display. With the player hooked to the receiver with hdmi it should be letting me use the HD listening modes. According to the manual my receiver can decode all the new formats. I don't know if there's just a setting that needs to be changed or if there is something wrong with the receiver. Is there anyone with the same receiver that has had similar issues?

check if your Blue-ray player is set to output LPCM vs bitstream audio.

stevecake
01-15-2010, 11:34 AM
To elaborate on what Sam's said, and to build off of what I wrote in the last thread you posted, your blu-ray player might be outputting audio in PCM format. This is really fine, in fact I prefer it! It means your player is decoding the HD format and outputting uncompressed digital audio over HDMI (literally no cause for concern - the HDMI cable can easily handle 7.1 channels of LPCM, and even cheap new receivers can accept 7.1 channel LPCM from HDMI).

However, a PCM signal will NOT cause the little HD audio lights to illuminate on your receiver - that will only happen if you send bitstream audio to the receiver: the "raw" DTS-MA or TrueHD signal. But as I mentioned in the earlier thread, there's no audible reason to do this.

Might this be merged with your previous thread?

indulger
01-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Maybe he should be asking; "how do I change my receiver from "LPCM" to "bitstream" so I can see it on my receiver display. Just a thought:rolleyes:

kinggimp82
01-18-2010, 02:47 PM
I figured it out and it is working now. Bitstream on the blu-ray player is actually called direct. Once I set it to that it fixed the problem.