PDA

View Full Version : Descisions descisions

bnrbeseth
01-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Well im stuck and dont know what to do. I am currently trying to replace a onkyo htib i bought peice by peice with ascend speakers. So far I have 2 htm 200's serving as my mains, still have the onkyo center, surrounds and sub in use. The lovely wife has allowed me to spend about a grand right now to upgrade some of the other speakers, and it might be a good while before i can get the remaing speakers i will need.( 5.1 system) I have replaced the onkyo reciever with a denon 3802. so with my money should i get a sierra-1 center and svs pb10 sub leaving me just needing the sierra-1 l/r to finish, or get 2 sierra l/r and continue using my onkyo center and sub moving the htm200's as my surrounds. my listening is about 70 movies 30 music. any advice or help is appreciated.... Thank you in advance

Mag_Neato
01-14-2010, 08:44 AM
If you want to complete your setup all at once, you could opt for HTM-200's all around with a sub. True, the Sierra-1 is superior to the 200, but if you are mostly HT than the 200's are probably going to give you great performance.

If you want to piece it together, I'd go with the center + sub.

chas
01-14-2010, 09:01 AM
With current specials you could get a 340SE center and 170SE mains for $558 shipped, leaving you a little over $400 for the sub (using your $1000 budget).

bnrbeseth
01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
I think i want to go the sierras all across the front even if it means waiting a year or so. I had read that they match the speakers within 1 db i belive so they are more or less a matched set/pair and keep record by serial numbers. does anyone know if i bought a center and then lets say a year later got the front l/r if they would match as close as possible to the center previously purchased or would they just match the l/r when they sent those?

Mag_Neato
01-14-2010, 12:54 PM
The Sierra-1, whether it is a L/R pair or a center, will match better than having different models in those positions(i.e. Sierra center w/200 mains). The test graph included with each speaker is to make certain that, in the case of a stereo pair, they are matched to within a specific tolerance. The center should also close enough within that tolerance where you would not detect any mismatch. When time comes to add the other Sierra-1(s), you could have Dave look up your graph via the S/N of the speaker and have him select the best match for them. I am just tossing that out as an idea. Of course, you would have to ask Dave if he could actually do that, and if it is even necessary. My guess is that it is not.

My feeling, based on past history, is telling me that the Sierra-1 is due for the "SE" treatment. So, if you are going to buy the center now and mains a year later, that would be my concern. the Sierras have been out since May or June of 2007. Dave is always striving to improve his products. All other models have been "SE"d. Food for thought.

davef
01-18-2010, 06:08 PM
does anyone know if i bought a center and then lets say a year later got the front l/r if they would match as close as possible to the center previously purchased or would they just match the l/r when they sent those?

Since all the Sierra-1 are matched to +/- 1dB of reference, the center *should* match closely with your mains. However, we could definitely match to your original pair if requested :) We would need serial numbers etc.