PDA

View Full Version : How to find the right rear speaker

mrSlicko
12-27-2009, 04:55 AM
Hello and season greetings to all.

After recently moving I am looking for an addition to my home setup, as I realised I need more :)
I have a HT setup consisting of Sierra 1's LCR and CBM-170 SE's rear, plus a Rythmik F-12 SE sub in a room of roughly 12' * 14.5' (only about half of it is used for my HT setup). Next to my living/HT room I have a dining room where I must have a set of Ascend speakers above the dining room table.
There's an open doorway between the two rooms but the music is too low when I'm in the dining room.
I don't have a lot of room for rear speakers above my seating position (HT and dining room), and both have to be wall mounted. Therefore I'm considering getting a set of HTM-200's and then move the CBM-170's into the dining room. Or should I stick with the 170's and just get an extra pair of those?
Just for the record the dining room is approx 8' * 14.5'

Any comments appreciated. The price difference between the 170's & 200's doesn't worry me, so it is purely a question of which speakers will give me the best experience.

davef
12-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Hello and season greetings to all.

After recently moving I am looking for an addition to my home setup, as I realised I need more :)
I have a HT setup consisting of Sierra 1's LCR and CBM-170 SE's rear, plus a Rythmik F-12 SE sub in a room of roughly 12' * 14.5' (only about half of it is used for my HT setup). Next to my living/HT room I have a dining room where I must have a set of Ascend speakers above the dining room table.
There's an open doorway between the two rooms but the music is too low when I'm in the dining room.
I don't have a lot of room for rear speakers above my seating position (HT and dining room), and both have to be wall mounted. Therefore I'm considering getting a set of HTM-200's and then move the CBM-170's into the dining room. Or should I stick with the 170's and just get an extra pair of those?
Just for the record the dining room is approx 8' * 14.5'

Any comments appreciated. The price difference between the 170's & 200's doesn't worry me, so it is purely a question of which speakers will give me the best experience.

Since it does not appear that you will be using a subwoofer in the dining room -- I would recommend going with CBM-170 SE in this room compared with HTM-200 SE. For the main room, since you have a great subwoofer and the speakers are wall mounted, I would go with a set of HTM-200 SE -- these partner up perfectly with Sierra-1 as fronts :)

Happy New Year!

mrSlicko
01-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Hmm... I was actually starting to think about buying a set of Sierra-1's for the dining room, and then get a set of clamping wall mounts as seen in another thread. The 170's would then be my rear speakers.
Why this setup? Because the Sierra's are so nice :)