PDA

View Full Version : Crossover frequency for Sierras for HT?

cynan
12-18-2009, 01:02 PM
First, let me state that I love to listen to the Sierras full-range without a subwoofer for 2-channel music. There is sufficient bass for practically all music types, with the exception of those genres that are overly bass driven and there is just no way I can match the seemless transition from bass to midrange by manually dialing in my own subs. For HT, however, the subs are a must.

I use a recent Denon AVR for HT. It has Audyssey MultiEQ. Strangely, after running the setup, it tends to set the Sierras (LCR) at around 100 Hz, though, even more bizarely, this can range from about 90Hz up to 120Hz, why I don't know. With the amount of bass the Sierras put out, I'm surprised it does not set this lower. Currently, I have manually adjusted the crossover frequency to 80Hz for all Sierras.

How do others set the crossover frequency for their Sierras for HT?

curtis
12-18-2009, 02:23 PM
For HT, 80hz should be fine....especially if the bass quality from the sub matches that of the Sierras.

debo
12-19-2009, 08:25 AM
You may want to drop it down to 60hz and see how you like it!

chas
12-19-2009, 12:48 PM
My Denon AVR sets my 340SEs at 40hz every time I run setup. I have tried them at both 60 and 80 and prefer the 60hz setting. With Sierra's I would say 60 or 80 would be safe bets.

arkiedan
12-23-2009, 05:44 AM
I cross the Sierras to an Epik Vanquish subwoofer at 50hz, per Dave F. It took quite a while dialing in the sub but the crossover is completely seamless. I too listen to music in two channel but prefer to leave the sub on since it blends so well. I should say that I don't care for the ridiculous bass levels that most of my friends enjoy with their subwoofers. I don't care to add bass where there shouldn't be any.

I did turn off the sub while setting up Audyssey MultiEQ on my Onkyo AVR and then set it up manually afterward, experimenting quite a bit. Now, you just don't know it's there with music or effects in movies it's so seamless.

arkiedan

qwknuf6
12-28-2009, 09:40 AM
I had a pro calibrator set up my audio and video . He set crossover at 90hz , does anybody think that is to high ? it sounds very good for both music and HT use .

Mark

curtis
12-28-2009, 04:55 PM
I had a pro calibrator set up my audio and video . He set crossover at 90hz , does anybody think that is to high ? it sounds very good for both music and HT use .

Probably nothing wrong with it, but trying different crossover points wouldn't hurt anything.

debo
12-29-2009, 08:34 AM

Mark

And how do you like the video?

qwknuf6
12-29-2009, 08:49 AM
And how do you like the video?

Fantastic

cynan
01-07-2010, 09:42 AM

Mark

On my Denon AVR, there is an option to have the receiver automatically employ the crossover setting for multi-channel use and then run the fronts full range in stereo mode. I now have the Sierras set for 80Hz fur multi-channel modes (with sub) and full range for stereo (without sub).