View Full Version : My Sierra's came! But...

RicardoJoa
12-01-2009, 08:41 PM
My sierra finally came and i must say that they are beautiful. I also like to say that im satified with their service.

After connecting the new speakers, i noticed that they play very clear and the midrange is very strong to a point where i think is too forward.
I also compared to my current tower Altec Lansing from the 90's, but i think it seems to me that the alteac play fuller, with more detail on instruments then the sierra. Does any one have any input? The sierra seems to play thin compare to the tower, maybe thats not a fair comparison or maybe the sierra needs some break in time? Could be positioning? Since i have them on the TV sheft and stands are yet to come.

thanks for any input.

debo
12-02-2009, 05:08 AM
Without seeing your setup and only going on your discription I would suggest waiting for your stands and moving them off a back wall because the bass on the Seirra's are fantastic. What crossover are you using? Playing these full range without a sub they still shouldn't sound thin.

curtis
12-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Wait for the stands and listen to the Sierras some more. It is probably because you are accustomed to the sound of the Altec Lansings. Without hearing them, I would not expect the Sierras to have the same characteristics.

Tushar
12-02-2009, 07:45 PM
I would second the notion of listening to them for a longer period of time after setting them up correctly. I bought my last speakers in the early 90's and found that when I first started listening to Sierra-1 they sounded odd in that alot of the things I had grown used to with my last speakers in terms of coloration of the sound that dimmed and hide some things, exaggerated others were now gone. At first I didn't know if losing those things was a bad thing The Sierra-1's also sounded alot quieter in a signal to noise kind of way that I can imagine someone might consider less rich or less full. I recently tried my old speakers since I bought a much better receiver and wanted to see if they benefitted as much as the Ascends. My old speakers were frankly so painful to listen to that I had to return them to the garage. It was painful in a way, since I had so many fond memories of the old speakers.

I think in time you and others who listen to your speakers will find that Sierra-1 are exremely accurate and detailed. I find alot of people at dinner parties going through the following: 1. They think the music is a great recording and ask about it and want to pick it up, 2. By the second albumthey realize something is different about the music and are trying to figure it out-- they tend to have a quizzical look and keep turning to look at the speakers at this point, and then 3. finally (around end of album #2 or start of #3 a light has gone off and they realize what a good speaker can do for the listening experience. Only negative effect is sometimes when a good conversation has died a natural death of old age, they still sit there, listening and enjoying the music.

RicardoJoa
12-02-2009, 11:19 PM
I think you guys are right, maybe all i need to do is some more listening time. I spend about half an hour last nite ( not a hole lot hahahah)just listening to them, and i am starting to apreciate the clarity these litlte boxes put out. My GF actually describes it as : why do the altec seems to have something cover it up?.I also noticed that walking around the listenening area, these speakers seemed to play with more detail, so i thought the listening area might contribute to a negative factor on my previous listening.
I also noticed that the bass actually plays deeper then those altec, but those altec offer more impact, i guess more abudant misbass, and the fact they also have some sort of atenuation on their midbass that i think it contribute to what i think "more detail".