PDA

View Full Version : D15SE Setup question

punksterz626
11-01-2009, 02:14 PM
hi everyone,

Anyone with setup experience can hopefully tell me how to setup based on the needs i want.

How come the bass is very low when i listen to music compare to when i watch a movie? Is there something wrong with my setup? The bass sounds really clean when i watch a movie but only on certain scenes. When i turn up the power on the sub, it will give a little more bass when listening to music however, when i watch a movie the bass is so loud it literally shakes the whole entire apt. I just want to have a balance between the two.

Just the other day, i was at my friends house watching TV and they had one of the those home theater in a box and their bass is really noticeable even during dialogue. Is there any way i can adjust my setup to get more bass? i.e when i listening to music or watching sports?

thanks everyone!

Here is my current subwoofer setup

PEQ- off

Subwoofer-
EXT/12
FREQ-14
Damping- LOW

Fre

curtis
11-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Are you using the crossover on your receiver? If so, on the sub amp, make sure the crossover setting is at the highest point.

DougMac
11-02-2009, 08:04 AM
In order to offer any useful help, we'll need more information, including what receiver you're using and how you set up your system. Did you set it up by ear or did you use Audyssey?

You have a much better subwoofer than your friend's HTIB sub. They usually have terrible frequency response, with a huge hump around 60 or 80hz. This can make them sound like they have more bass than a sub with smooth response, but it's bad sounding bass.

What music are you listening to? Have you sampled a wide variety of music and found all bass shy?

Finally, you may need to reposition your sub. If possible, do the "placement by crawling around" test where you place the sub at your listening position and crawl around the room until you get the best bass, then place the sub there. Be aware the best position might not be the place with the most bass, that may be a position that is over-emphasizing a narrow range.

milkfat
11-03-2009, 04:05 PM
I see you list your equipment in your first post (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=30573#post30573) from almost one year ago!:eek:

It looks like your receiver has YPAO auto room calibration. Have you performed the auto calibration? Glancing at your speaker manuals, it looks like the crossover in your receiver should be set to 80hz and all speakers set to "small".

Also follow Curtis' advice about placement.

The "bass" you are hearing at your friends house sounds like what many people descibe as boomy bass. Which is not generally a desired trait... you definitely have the wrong subwoofer if you want boomy bass:o. An average male voice extends down to around 80hz, which means there's probably a lot of activity around the 80hz-120hz range on your friend's sub. The D15SE naturally rolls off above 80hz (where your mains start to take over).

You might be able to achieve the boomy effect by adjusting your receiver's graphic equalizer in that range... but most people would cringe at that advice. The only real way to do it would be to buy an extremely cheap ported subwoofer:D.

Movies use bass as an effect. Audio engineers purposely add low frequency effects to make a movie more immersing. The technical term for this effect is "awesomeness". However, all of that bass is produced in a studio and is very unrealistic. (real gunshots will not make your house shake)

Music on the other hand does not usually contain overstated bass. You haven't mentioned your preferred listening material, but music should be realistic. If you want lots of bass for music listening then you will likely need to turn up the subwoofer gain and turn it down again for movies.

A well-tuned home theater will not sound like a +20db turbo-bass-boosted car audio system. Nor will it sound like a bassy-vocals HTIB system. If you want those then you will need to boost bass via equalization and/or purchase a HTIB. Truly... truly... you shouldn't be getting "noticeable" bass watching sports.

Of course it's all opinion. And my post is a bunch of BS, but I'm cool with that :cool:

davef
11-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Punkster,

Has the issue with music been resolved?