PDA

View Full Version : Considering Ascend

bluemando
10-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi all. First post here. In my search for bookshelf speakers for my bedroom (a small one, 11x12x8) I have come across posts and reviews praising Ascend speakers. My 11 year old KEF Q15's (powered w/ my NAD c 315BEE integrated amp) sound a bit compressed for the music I'm listening to (all types actually... as a music major, classical was my main interest, but as a 1960's "boomer" I eagerly absorbed Hendricks, Beatles, Dylan and on and on... also have a somewhat minimal interest in jazz). I was thinking that the Sierra's might be the ticket, but I noticed that the minimum recommended power is 45 watts... my NAD is 40 wpc. Don't know if that matters all that much. I usually play at moderate volumes, but sometimes I like to crank it up a bit... not for long though; my small room doesn't encourage that one bit. Also, the Sierra isn't front ported... the max I can place them is 1' 8" from the back wall and about 2' from the sides.

I was thinking maybe the 170's would do, but then I don't want to have to deal with a sub woofer... some of my classical stuff has some pretty demanding organ sounds. Besides I'm not crazy about the finish-offering of the 170. So I've been going back and forth with the issues. Input, may be helpful, so please do.

gcc

DougMac
10-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure Dave, the owner of Sierra, will respond. That was one of the selling points for me.

From what you've described, I think that Sierra's would fit the bill. I don't have Sierras, but from owner's opinions and the specs, they seem to have plenty of bass. If you can get them that far from the wall, the rear port shouldn't be a problem.

Keep in mind that NAD rates their amps very conservatively. Their 40 wpc would be 60 or even 80 wpc to other manufacturers. There are reports of some very happy owners driving their Sierra's with 20 wpc tube amps.

I'm using a NAD T762 in my theater room to drive my 340/170/200 setup and love the combo.

I'm not familiar with KEF's, so I can't comment on the relative sound difference. Ascends are known to be very neutral. I'm wondering if the "compression" you speak of is speaker related or from using a modest powered amp or even a function of the room acoustics.

The nice thing about Ascend is you can audition and return them within 30 days if you're not happy. I don't think that happens very often, though.

Ascend is a stand up company offering terrific products for reasonable prices.

bluemando
10-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure Dave, the owner of Sierra, will respond. That was one of the selling points for me.

From what you've described, I think that Sierra's would fit the bill. I don't have Sierras, but from owner's opinions and the specs, they seem to have plenty of bass. If you can get them that far from the wall, the rear port shouldn't be a problem.

Keep in mind that NAD rates their amps very conservatively. Their 40 wpc would be 60 or even 80 wpc to other manufacturers. There are reports of some very happy owners driving their Sierra's with 20 wpc tube amps.

I'm using a NAD T762 in my theater room to drive my 340/170/200 setup and love the combo.

I'm not familiar with KEF's, so I can't comment on the relative sound difference. Ascends are known to be very neutral. I'm wondering if the "compression" you speak of is speaker related or from using a modest powered amp or even a function of the room acoustics.

The nice thing about Ascend is you can audition and return them within 30 days if you're not happy. I don't think that happens very often, though.

Ascend is a stand up company offering terrific products for reasonable prices.

Thanks for the welcome (Doug is it?) Regarding my KEF Q15's... While I am well aware that room acoustics often contribute to the coloring of sound, but I don't think this is a main factor in my case. The percussion seems tubby sounding (For ex. in the first cut of The Doors "Break on Through" the drummer sounds like he's beating on a bath tub with a soft mallet. And in Debussy's "La Mer" the triangles and bells sound recessed. I can barely hear them and if I didn't know that they are suppose to be in the music, I would miss them completely (they *are* present, but very dimly.)

I have a pair of inexpensive Premier Acoustic Tower Speakers in my bedroom -- the KEF's are usually on top of them... sometimes I use stands, as well-- and these Premier's bring out the aforementioned details very well. They are amazing for the price I paid, although, to my ears, they are a tad bright (in comparison, the KEF's are mellow.... a good-thing, for me). Another positive for the Premier's is that they go down to 35 Hz and do it pretty well, imo. Anyway, I plan to replace KEF's with something that can give me the clarity and detail I need for a better listening experience. I'll admit that I bulk at the price of the Sierra's and that I've been looking for alternative in the $500-600 range; that's not to say that I'm excluding the Sierras, simply that amount of $$'s is holding me back. Anyway, thanks for your input.

gcc

davef
10-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Hi Bluemando,

Welcome to the forum!

I have to agree with Doug -- from your descriptions, a pair of Sierra-1 would be ideal and probably offer you everything you are looking for and then some ;)

Don't be at all concerned with the power rating of your NAD... NAD has always used high current power supplies combined with a high quality amplification stage. If NAD states 40 watts, it is a true 40 watts RMS and this is PLENTY of power to drive our Sierra-1 to extremely loud listening levels. I have been using a 30 watt T-Amp with a pair of Sierra-1 and the results have been excellent...

I should also mention that we have a pair of B-stock naturals (in terrific condition) available at a price of $746.24 with free domestic ground shipping (due to our current special) First come first serve on this pair so this gets them much closer to your budget and you are getting a multi-award winning loudspeaker that is truly high-end :)

Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Timbre
10-23-2009, 05:51 AM
Hello Bluemando,

I would say that DaveF's offer is an offer you can't refuse!

Regarding your lack of breathing space around the Speakers,
I have my Sierra's in a cabinet and when I put in the plugs
that Dave now has, it enabled the speakers to sound as good
as when I had them out in the room on stands.

These speakers never fail to amaze me. Although I have a 7.1
surround system with a big sub, I always find it more than
satisfying to hear Direct Stereo 2.0 with these Sierra's.

When playing a quality recording, the bass is really great even without
the sub. And the Sierra's always get the bass right, unlike my
my sub. I get so tired of always adjusting the volume on the back
of the sub.

If I were you, I would definately "sacrifice my latttes" to get these
Sierra's. If you don't you might always regret settling for something
a lot less.

Besides with the paid return guarantee, what have you got to lose?

Best of luck to you.

bluemando
10-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the welcome and input Dave. I'll keep the "naturals" in mind. I'm a known procrastinator so chances are I'll miss out on them. Fact is I won't be ready to buy until the first week of November when I'll be receiving some extra cash. By then those puppies will probably have been long gone.

bluemando
10-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Hello Bluemando,

I would say that DaveF's offer is an offer you can't refuse!
<snip> .... with the paid return guarantee, what have you got to lose?
Best of luck to you.

Good point. Thanks.