PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo SR-806 says 40Hz XO for SRM-1?

rabbit
10-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Hi,

I've just got an onkyo 806 that I've been setting up - I ran the audyssey routines and got this:

SRM1 - L & R front - 40Hz crossover
HTM-200 - center - 120Hz crossover
CBM-170SE - surrounds - 60Hz crossover

40Hz seems rather low since my subwoofer (STF-1) only goes down to 35Hz... is there something that I'm missing? Do the other numbers look reasonable?

davef
10-14-2009, 01:37 AM
Hi,

I've just got an onkyo 806 that I've been setting up - I ran the audyssey routines and got this:

SRM1 - L & R front - 40Hz crossover
HTM-200 - center - 120Hz crossover
CBM-170SE - surrounds - 60Hz crossover

40Hz seems rather low since my subwoofer (STF-1) only goes down to 35Hz... is there something that I'm missing? Do the other numbers look reasonable?

I recommend the following crossover settings:

SRM1 - L & R front - 60Hz crossover
HTM-200 - center - 100 or 80Hz crossover (100Hz if classic, 80Hz if SE)
CBM-170SE - surrounds - 80Hz crossover

Hope this helps!!

Bill Mac
10-14-2009, 06:15 PM
I recommend the following crossover settings:

SRM1 - L & R front - 60Hz crossover
HTM-200 - center - 100 or 80Hz crossover (100Hz if classic, 80Hz if SE)
CBM-170SE - surrounds - 80Hz crossover

Hope this helps!!

After reading the Audyssey thread over at AVS when I was setting up my 886 it is not recommended to lower a crossover setting once Audyssey has been run. It is fine to raise the setting but something to do with the Audyssey filters if I recall that might offset the Audyssey results if the settings are lowered. I do not recall what Audyssey set my Sierra LCRs at but I believe it was above 60Hz.

There is an Audyssey thread over at AVS with the setup guide by giomania in the first post. I found the setup guide to be very helpful as I was not postioning the mic properly (take as many measurements as possible, I took 8) and had the LPF for the sub set incorrectly. So I highly recommend reading the setup guide for anyone with an Audyssey equipped receiver. Some people mention they do not like the results of Audyssey when they calibrated their system. But many myself included are or were not doing it correctly.

Bill

davef
10-16-2009, 04:34 PM
After reading the Audyssey thread over at AVS when I was setting up my 886 it is not recommended to lower a crossover setting once Audyssey has been run. It is fine to raise the setting but something to do with the Audyssey filters if I recall that might offset the Audyssey results if the settings are lowered. I do not recall what Audyssey set my Sierra LCRs at but I believe it was above 60Hz.

There is an Audyssey thread over at AVS with the setup guide by giomania in the first post. I found the setup guide to be very helpful as I was not postioning the mic properly (take as many measurements as possible, I took 8) and had the LPF for the sub set incorrectly. So I highly recommend reading the setup guide for anyone with an Audyssey equipped receiver. Some people mention they do not like the results of Audyssey when they calibrated their system. But many myself included are or were not doing it correctly.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks -- this is very useful info!

chas
10-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Here's a link to the setup guide:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14456895#post14456895

Mike^S
10-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Personally I am not a big fan of Audyssey, especially on an onkyo. I have the onkyo 805 and it does not have an option for audyssey flat. After running Audyssey, I found the highs muted and the bass too prominent. Also, any system that has Audyssey engaged will have it's maximum headroom severely reduced.

InstantEulogy
10-16-2009, 09:24 PM
CO-Sign, I find that Audyssey on Integra 7.8 and an older receiver did not provide good results, especially with the Ascend's. I would steer clear of it, use an SPL meter, and use Dave's settings on the receiver. You will find much better results doing it that way. Good luck!

rabbit
10-17-2009, 09:30 PM

Bill

Thanks, that was a good read. Could be that the audyssey calculations have to do with the fact that many of the speakers are backed into corners or right up against a wall because of space constraints.

In any case, I moved the crossover up to the values that Dave recommended after re-running the calibration (with similar results) and the system as a whole is sounding very good.