PDA

View Full Version : q-plugs vs. eq?

ccotenj
09-23-2009, 01:51 PM
setup...

7 sierra-1's...

surrounds and backs are mounted on bt-77's...

using eq (mcacc), with all speakers set to small and xover'd at 80...

right now, i'm not using q-plugs... it's obvious that un-eq'd, there's a big hump in the low frequencies above the x-over, as eq is cutting at 125hz in a BIG way (also have a pretty big cut in the center as well)... i don't see this as "bad", just the way it is (i.e. the eq is doing it's job)...

opinions on whether or not i would get "better" (for lack of a better) term results using q-plugs?

thanks!

curtis
09-23-2009, 05:19 PM
I am a believer in altering the signal as little as possible.

GirgleMirt
09-23-2009, 05:45 PM

right now, i'm not using q-plugs... it's obvious that un-eq'd, there's a big hump in the low frequencies above the x-over, as eq is cutting at 125hz in a BIG way

I don't think I understand correctly... Is your crossover set at 125hz on your speakers, or 80hz?

If your receiver is set at 80hz for your mains, the Sierras lower freqs, starting form 80hz, are getting attenuated. But you say that you have a big hump at 125hz... Ah ok I get it the EQ is cutting at 125hz (doesn't EQ below that...)

Well, looking at the graphs of the plugs: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3781 There seems to be no effect above 100hz anyhow. So they should make absolutely no difference... (above 100hz)

To go back to EQ, what are its settings? Does it mostly EQ up or down?

curtis: I also agree that signal should be altered as less as possible, but, I'm guessing that the auto EQ basically does this. It EQs so that the output of the speakers is flat at the listening position, basically, trying to remove, or at least reduce, the effect of the room... And I'd have to wager that the lesser evil in many case is trying to fix the room effects/modes... (You want to 'hear' as close as possible to the signal, quite possibly closer EQ'd than not EQ'd...)

ccotenj
09-23-2009, 06:06 PM
while philosophically i agree on the "alter the signal as little as possible", the reality is eq is a pretty good tool to get the signal to where it was intended to be in the first place, taking into account room effects, etc.

girglemint, all speakers xover'd at 80... BIG cuts (-7/-8) at 125hz on the surrounds/backs (the wall mounted ones), which leads me to believe that i'm getting some pretty large low frequency reinforcement from the wall mounting... the rest of the frequency spectrum is little cuts and boosts... l/r front are actually pretty flat (they are about 4 feet off the front wall, and that no doubt helps a lot)...

edit: i suppose this is easy enough to try out. i guess i'll drop an order on dina tomorrow and have her send me a few pairs to experiment with.

davef
09-24-2009, 01:42 PM
right now, i'm not using q-plugs... it's obvious that un-eq'd, there's a big hump in the low frequencies above the x-over, as eq is cutting at 125hz in a BIG way (also have a pretty big cut in the center as well)... i don't see this as "bad", just the way it is (i.e. the eq is doing it's job)...

opinions on whether or not i would get "better" (for lack of a better) term results using q-plugs?

125Hz seems high for bass reinforcement due to wall mounting... Are the speakers near the corners of the room?

ccotenj
09-24-2009, 01:48 PM
reasonably close... surrounds are a couple feet from the back wall... backs have bookcases about a foot or so "outside" of them...

davef
09-28-2009, 12:45 AM
reasonably close... surrounds are a couple feet from the back wall... backs have bookcases about a foot or so "outside" of them...

Can you post a picture of the surrounds?

millerwill
09-28-2009, 11:06 AM
setup...

7 sierra-1's...

surrounds and backs are mounted on bt-77's...

thanks!

I have a very similar question, namely with Sierra's L/C/R set to 'small' and x-overed at 80 Hz (with a SubMersive sub), eq'ed with Audyssey (via an Onk 805 AVR), will the q-plugs likely have any effect? I don't think so (nor can I see any effect in the freq sweeps on a SMS-1), but it would be interesting to hear what others of you think. [Room is ~14' W, 17'L, 8.5' H, and the L and R speakers are ~ 1 ft from the side wall and 3' from the front wall.]

curtis
09-28-2009, 05:16 PM
I have a very similar question, namely with Sierra's L/C/R set to 'small' and x-overed at 80 Hz (with a SubMersive sub), eq'ed with Audyssey (via an Onk 805 AVR), will the q-plugs likely have any effect? I don't think so (nor can I see any effect in the freq sweeps on a SMS-1), but it would be interesting to hear what others of you think. [Room is ~14' W, 17'L, 8.5' H, and the L and R speakers are ~ 1 ft from the side wall and 3' from the front wall.]
It depends on the room.

The q-plugs change the bass characteristics of the speaker, but crossed at 80hz, probably won't make an audible difference.

Mike^S
09-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I use q-plugs AND eq. :p

ccotenj
10-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Can you post a picture of the surrounds?

yup. not yet though. i decided to try and do some re-positioning over the weekend, so i don't have any current ones yet.

I use q-plugs AND eq. :p

this is actually the direction that i'm considering... :) i'm glad you posted that...