PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Options for the Sierra-1

steveklein
09-18-2009, 07:25 AM
For the last 2 years, I've had my Sierra 1 fronts on speaker stands like an audiophile textbook would tell me.

However, I'm planning on moving to a house and the room that I'd use the speakers in really lends itself more to wall mounted options. It's got a fireplace with a TV niche above it that the TV would go, and then I'd want to mount the L/R speakers on either side, on the wall.

What are my options here? I know the Sierra-1 is rear ported and is supposed to be some distance back from the wall, but to be quite frank, I think the speaker will sound just fine even if it is up against a wall. And I'm sure there are speaker mounts that I can get that would put the back of the speaker 3,4,6, even 8 inches from the wall which... while may not be the 12 or 18 inches Ascend recommends, would probably be adequate for me.

Does anyone have some suggestions? I also plan on going the wall mount route for my HTM-200s which I use as rears. This is really all in the name of WAF and limited floor space in my living room.

I've considered selling the Ascends and taking a slight step down to get speakers that would be more suitable to mounting, but I really, really like the Sierras!

Suggestions?

curtis
09-18-2009, 07:53 AM
For the Sierras, if I ever had to wallmount, I would try these:
http://www.btech-usa.com/bt77.html

And use Q-plug "A".

merrymaid520
09-22-2009, 02:52 PM
I concurr with Curtis. My rear surrounds are Sierras using these same mounts and they work great. If you search around this forum, I have some pics posted somewhere:)

ccotenj
09-23-2009, 01:43 PM
me too. i use the bt-77's for my surrounds and backs.

make sure you hit a stud though...

gr1m
10-18-2009, 08:47 AM
question: if im wall mounting my LED about 6ft high or mayhaps a bit higher and i have the 340c and the rest of the components (AVR, BD player, cable box) below it on/inside a component stand, would the front mains be ok at a lower height than the led? (they are right now/will be on 30" sanus stands)

how is that going to sound audio-wise? watching distance would be 11-13ft away
thanks

curtis
10-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Are you sure you want to mount the TV that high? Looking up at the TV for a period of time will not be good for your neck. The bottom third of the TV should be at eye height when seated.

As far as sound....it seems like the distance between the height of the speakers and TV will be at least 3 feet? If so, the sound will not be tied to the TV as well....sound will seem like it is coming from below the TV.

ccotenj
10-18-2009, 04:33 PM
+1 on not mounting the tv that high... that's WAY too high for comfortable viewing... especially from 11-13 feet...

in your described setup, everything will sound like it's coming from below the tv (as curtis noted)... it won't be anchored to the display like you want it to be...

gr1m
10-18-2009, 10:13 PM
curtis & ccotenj,

thanks for the input. yeah what gave me the idea of mounting it that high was 1) a buddy's lcd that was mounted apporx that high (close to eye level when standing up) and i thought it didn't look too bad - and i'd be doing a lot of standing up and jumping up n down during nba playoffs/finals time(!) and also 2) i've got little tykes a 2yr and 4yr old runnin around and dont want their paws or them pokin @ the screen :-O
but yeah you guys have good points about craning my/our necks that high for some time - didnt really think abt that. so it's gonna come down to either wall mounting it lower or putting it on a tv stand which i prefer not to do, but we'll see when it's time.

thanks agn, guys!

debo
10-19-2009, 06:46 AM
You should also be concerned with off angle viewing with LCD's. The picture will degrade being mounted that high, you could tilt mount but when you stand you would have the same problem.