PDA

View Full Version : Ascend Setup

k2208
09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Hello! I am new to this forum, but I am a longtime lurker. I have had a pair of CBM-170's for about 4 years now and I am looking to upgrade. I want to get an LCR setup and move my CBM-170's to the rears.

I am looking at the Sierra 1's and was wondering if I should go with all Sierra's, or a 340SE for the center. I currently have a Pioneer Elite VXS-80TXV receiver that puts out 110 watts/channel. Is this receiver good for the Sierras? Or do I need something more?

Thanks for your help.

debo
09-03-2009, 04:45 AM
Hello and welcome!
You want three Sierra-1's and your receiver has plenty of power to drive them.

DougMac
09-03-2009, 06:49 AM
Dave recently posted a reply to another thread that discusses the difference in MT vs MTM configurations (Sierra vs 340). The vertical dispersion pattern of the 340 center (according to Dave) helps control floor and ceiling reflections.

Unless you have an identified problem with response caused by floor and/or ceiling reflections, I think the other features of the Sierra would far outweigh the benefits of the off axis dispersion control found in the 340. This is all theoretical for me since I haven't heard the Sierra's. I do own a 340 center and it does a great job.

I read that in a 5.1 or 7.1 movie soundtrack as much as 70% of the audio content is coming from the center channel, therefore it's smart to carefully consider your options.

k2208
09-03-2009, 08:01 AM
I have a wimpy center channel now, so I dont think I would really notice any issues currently. This will be in a basement that has wood paneling and is 11'x22'. It is a perfect rectangle with no pillars and such. The center will be laying below my TV on my stand Approx 24" from the floor. My stand has a post up the back that the TV hangs on, so the center is completely open, nothing on either side, behind or above it.

I have my fronts spaced about 9 feet apart, about 1 foot in from the side wall, and 18" from the back wall. My seating position is roughly 10' away from the TV, and I toe in the speakers a little bit.

I am pretty excited, but I need to talk my wife into it. I might have to go with the center for now, and then pick up the mains in a few months. Will the Sierra center blow me away paired with my 170's, or should I try to go with the mains and use 1 of my 170's for a center until I can pick up the final piece?

Thanks again!

curtis
09-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Dave recently posted a reply to another thread that discusses the difference in MT vs MTM configurations (Sierra vs 340). The vertical dispersion pattern of the 340 center (according to Dave) helps control floor and ceiling reflections.
That was in regards to using the 340SE vertically, not horizontally.

DougMac
09-03-2009, 11:09 AM
That was in regards to using the 340SE vertically, not horizontally.
Yes, now I remember. That then raises the question about the 340SE center. What effect does horizontal placement have on off axis response, both in the vertical and horizontal plane?

I'm curious because of my experience. The layout of our dedicated HT has a love seat on the left that is pretty far off axis. When I originally set up the room, I placed the 340 center horizontally, as would be expected. The first time we had guests over, we gave them the "sweet spot" couch and sat on the love seat. We were watching a familiar DVD and both my wife and I noticed an attenuation of the dialog. I thought I had a setup problem even though I had balanced the speaker output. When I returned to the sweet spot directly in front of the center speaker, the volume was fine and balanced.

That led to some experimentation and in our room, I'm finding a vertical orientation of the center speaker better. We have the speaker under our screen and I wish the tweeter was a little closer to the center of the screen horizontally, but overall this is the better setup, especially for those sitting off axis.

curtis
09-03-2009, 01:58 PM
I think if you are 10-12ft from the speaker, the sweet spot is 8ft wide or so.

k2208
09-04-2009, 05:32 AM
So, if I was to just go with a center channel right now with thew idea of picking up fronts later, which one would pair best with my 170's? I am definitely going to get Sierra's down the road sometime.

Is the Sierra center $200 better than the 340 center? If it is I have no problem paying the extra. I just know alot of people really like the 340 center.

k2208
09-09-2009, 08:08 AM
*Update*

So I called and talked to Dave yesterday and he helped me with the decision. I was teetering on going with the 340 center, but he said the Sierra would image better with my 170 classics. So I ordered the Sierra and I am anxious to get it in and running.

I am about 75/25 home theater vs music, so I decided that I would benefit more from a top end center vs new L/R mains at this point. Not to mention I really like my 170's and they do great for movies, and I have an M&K V1250THX sub for the low end.

My setup is in an Ohio State mancave that is done in scarlet and gray, and consists of:

Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV receiver
Panasonic DMP-BD55 blu-ray
Harman Kardon FL8450 CD player
CBM-170 classic mains
Sierra 1 center(soon)
Boston Acoustic soundware rears(color is Just Red, perfect for my room)
M&K V1250THX sub
Apple iMAC 24" hooked to stereo

Once I get my Sierra in I will post some pictures!

Thanks for everyones help, especially Dave. Ascend is a first class operation!

davef
09-10-2009, 01:23 AM
It was my pleasure and I enjoyed our conversations!

Enjoy the Sierra-1 center :)

k2208
09-15-2009, 07:39 PM
I received my Sierra today. I love the way it is packaged with the gloves and wrapped in a soft bag. Very nice! I first hooked it up as a front speaker where one of my cbm-170 classics resides to hear some music. It sounded very nice, and is extremely detailed. It paired extremely well with my other 170, I was surprised.

This is not a knock on the Sierra(more of a glowing statement about the 170's), but the difference that I heard right out of the box was not out of this world. The Sierra definitely does a better job at everything, but it is not an astronomical difference. Granted I only have 1 Sierra and I do use a sub, so I am not maximizing the potential. I would love to hear a pair of Sierras if anyone in the Columbus Ohio region has them. The 170's are amazing for the price, and I would venture to say that they would be perfect for 95% of home theater users.

I then put it in the center location. I calibrated the levels with my SPL meter and away we went. We watched X-Men Origins and it was fantastic. It is such a room filling sound pumping out of the Sierra. It blends very well with my 170's and my M&K
sub. I cant wait to get it broken in more to really hear it sing!

I must admit I am intrigued about the prospect of another 170 as a center. I am going to work the Sierra for awhile, and then I will move one of my 170's to the center and see how it does. The reason I am thinking that is I could purchase 3 170's for the price of 1 Sierra. I could put the new 170SE's across the front and move my classics to the rears.

I guess I am blown away by the Sierra, but in absolute awe of what the 170's can do at a fraction of the cost. I have never really compared my 170's to anything so I was not really aware of how awesome they are.

I am not saying the 170's are better by any stretch, but they are incredible for the price.

k2208
09-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Ok, I have watched a couple more movies since my last post. Close Encounters of a third kind, and Nightmare before Christmas(both incredible on Blu-ray). The Sierra was awesome on both. It really fills the room up with sound. I found myself constantly adjusting volume up and down with my old Bo$e center because it had no punch. I would turn up the volume to hear good dialog, but then when any action happened I was blown out of my chair by the rest of the system.

I never really knew how much work a center channel put in during movies, it is amazing. I am really happy so far with the Sierra, and it blends extremely well with my 170's and the rest of my system.