PDA

View Full Version : So what is the Sierra's competition 1k & under

King
09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
What is the competition for the Sierra-1 for 1k and under?
I have not seen any posts where the public opinion claims that a speaker company is better or even neck and neck.
Maybe I missed it.
So are there any new brands that are competition, without the use of a sub??

PS
(I am an owner of the Sierra's, so I know how good they are at their price point! I am planning on adding another pair but do not even know what to compare them to, being I bought the last pair years ago.)

GirgleMirt
09-01-2009, 04:10 PM
I remember some people liking some pro monitors, but I can't recall the exact model... Think they were Mackie (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-HR824mk2?sku=601066), though I don't recall exactly, think might have been the previous 824...

Besides that, I think you'd have to go used or DIY. Haven't heard anything yet myself which would fit these criterias...

jvillas
09-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Hi King, here is a comparison done in 2007 not long after the Sierras were introduced. Of course 2yrs in the speaker industry can be like a lifetime ago.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/bookshelf-speaker-faceoff-2007/round-5-rbh-sound-mc-6c-vs-ascend-acoustics-sierra-1.html

GirgleMirt
09-02-2009, 06:16 AM
But what's weird, have you ever heard of the RBH Sound MC-6C? Have you seen it discussed anywhere else? I certainly haven't... And I somewhat keep up with the scene... I have hardly have ever seen it discussed. Yet, the Sierras have made quite a significant buzz. If the RBHs were of similar performance and high bang for the buck, wouldn't they have also made some noise?

jvillas
09-02-2009, 02:38 PM
The comparison is only interesting in so far as the comments made 4 rewiewers about the Sierras strengths and weaknesses. The RBH loudspeaker I paid little attention to.

markie
09-03-2009, 08:04 AM
I have my eyes on the incredible Sierras and so of course I've also been looking for competitors. One that I'm aware of so far is the sealed three way NHT (Now Hear This) Classic Threes.

From NHT's website at
http://store.nhthifi.com/Three?sc=12&category=1210

Specifications
System type: Bookshelf Speaker
Configuration - 3-way acoustic suspension design
Woofer – 6.5" aluminum cone
Mid-range - 2” aluminum dome
Tweeter - ¾” aluminum dome
Frequency Response - 45Hz- 20kHz
Crossover Frequency – 800 Hz, 3.2kHz
Crossover Slopes – 18 dB LP, 12dB HP
Sensitivity - 86dB (2.83v@1m)
Impedance – 8 ohms nominal
Inputs – 2 each professional grade nickel plated 5-way binding posts
Dimensions - 13.75"H x7.5"W x 10.375"D
Weight - 20 lbs./9.1 kg each.
Finish - High Gloss Black
Sold Individually

They sell for US $700 a pair now. It's got some favourable professional reviews. Lots of people love them, but interestingly I've seen a couple of non professional reviewers (one on Amazon.com if I recall) say they didn't enjoy them because they thought they were not 'musical' or something like that.

If anyone has experienced both the Sierras and the NHT Classic Threes I would like to hear your comparative impressions, thanks!

Mark

curtis
09-03-2009, 09:04 AM
The Classic Three is a very nice speaker. I have had them here in my house and compared them to the CMT-340SE. For the costs, IMO, the 340SE trumps it in terms of sound.

mziegler
09-03-2009, 09:07 AM
The Classic Three is a very nice speaker. I have had them here in my house and compared them to the CMT-340SE. For the costs, IMO, the 340SE trumps it in terms of sound.

I agree with Curtis, which means that for us they don't come close to the Sierras.

Era D5 is really nice.

King
09-03-2009, 11:40 AM
But what's weird, have you ever heard of the RBH Sound MC-6C? Have you seen it discussed anywhere else? I certainly haven't... And I somewhat keep up with the scene... I have hardly have ever seen it discussed. Yet, the Sierras have made quite a significant buzz. If the RBHs were of similar performance and high bang for the buck, wouldn't they have also made some noise?

Great observation!
I purchased another pair of Sierra's today!
You should get a commission. :)

jvillas
09-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I would not mind giving these a listening. The original Epiphany would also interest me. The original used would be pretty inexpensive.
EpiphanyII http://www.odysseyaudiomx.com/odyssey/reviews/Odyssey-EpiphonyII-AffAudio.pdf

original Epiphany http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/epiphony_e.html

markie
09-04-2009, 04:22 AM
So many interesting speakers, love it!

Googled the Era D5, and see that Curtis (on AVS) says that

The Sierra is a more capable speaker. Deeper extension, a bit more extended highs, more transparent.

But, if someone asked me for a B&M speaker at $1K, I would suggest the D5...no question.

A Six Moons review says the following,

The D5 sounds fuller and more robust and much more satisfying than any speaker I know of at low volumes, making it a fantastic choice for apartment dwellers or anybody who must restrict volume levels.

The above is not really fair, because who of us here with a wife is not included in the "or anybody who must restrict volume levels"!

(Really, *what is it* that happens to most females somewhere between their youth and wifehood that makes them irritated by what I would call moderate volume levels?)

How does the Sierra sound at low volume levels? And, does anyone know what properties of a speaker make it sound good at low volume? Also, if I recall correctly, I've heard somewhere that the Sierra has the property that it does not become irritating (to, ahem, some) as the volume is increased. Now *that* also seems like a very good thing. :)

Mark

scape
09-04-2009, 06:43 AM
I wonder if sensitivity plays a part in low-volume listening, I imagine ohms might too, but Ascends are all 8ohm, rather easy to drive. I think the big part is the speaker driver construction and diameter size

jvillas
09-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I wonder if sensitivity plays a part in low-volume listening, I imagine ohms might too, but Ascends are all 8ohm, rather easy to drive. I think the big part is the speaker driver construction and diameter size

Heres a link check low level information, its interesting.
http://www.high-endaudio.com/rec.html#Low

Bill Mac
09-04-2009, 03:24 PM
When I was speaker shopping several years ago I demoed the Era D5s and found them to be a very good sounding speaker. I compared them to Dynaudio Focus 140s which I eventually bought. After several speaker changes I ordered the Sierras as I had read so many positive reviews.

Of memory I found the Sierras to have a similar sound to that of the 140s at half the cost. So I would prefer the Sierra over the D5 which is going of memory and not a direct comparison. The Sierras sound excellent at all volume levels IMO. The more I listen to the Sierras the more I enjoy them for both HT and Music listening. I have no plans in the near future to go with any other speaker. I am thankful for that as it gets tiring constantly upgrading speakers not to mention the cost;).

Bill

mziegler
09-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I did a direct comparison. I no longer remember any details, but I preferred the Sierras.

scape
09-04-2009, 06:45 PM
I did a direct comparison. I no longer remember any details, but I preferred the Sierras.

lol, i love this statement for some reason :D

Bill Mac
09-04-2009, 06:52 PM

Man can I relate to the above statement:D!

Bill

jk121764
09-05-2009, 06:53 AM
I imagine that Aperion Audio would be a competitor.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Intimus-6B-Bookshelf-Speaker,111,20,257.aspx

I have no idea what they sound like.

mziegler
09-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Hell, I might even have posted somewhere about the differences at the time. Curtis has the memory for this.

I also have heard the Sierras and the Dynaudio 140 at a shop. We also heard the B&W 805s. I agree with Bill that the Sierras and Dyns were of a similar flavor. The problem we had was that the speakers have different sensitivities, and we had to match by ear. I remember thinking how happy I was with my Sierras.

The 805s were of a very different flavor. They were quite forward, which I didn't enjoy.

I have never heard Aperion, but I have read comparisons of those with many others, including Sierras, and they usually do not come off that well. Still, Aperion will pay for shipping both ways.

Bill Mac
09-05-2009, 01:43 PM
I was very close to ordering the Aperion 6B and 6C or 5C to demo. At the time I thought a multi driver MTM center was needed for good HT SQ. But after reading reviews and contacting several people who demoed the Aperions the one constant I heard was they tended to be bright.

After having the Dynaudios which to me had a very non fatiguing SQ to them I decided the Aperions might not be the best choice for me. I also found out real fast with the Sierra center that a multi driver MTM center was not needed. The Sierra center handles dialog and every other aspect of a center speaker very well. With three Sierras across the front of my HT it gives seamless imaging that is quite enjoyable.

With 2 CH music the Sierras are just incredible. My only issue with the Sierras is the lack of time that I have to listen to them;).

Bill

curtis
09-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Hell, I might even have posted somewhere about the differences at the time. Curtis has the memory for this.

I also have heard the Sierras and the Dynaudio 140 at a shop. We also heard the B&W 805s. I agree with Bill that the Sierras and Dyns were of a similar flavor. The problem we had was that the speakers have different sensitivities, and we had to match by ear. I remember thinking how happy I was with my Sierras.

The 805s were of a very different flavor. They were quite forward, which I didn't enjoy.

I have never heard Aperion, but I have read comparisons of those with many others, including Sierras, and they usually do not come off that well. Still, Aperion will pay for shipping both ways.
Sorry for getting to this a bit late....been preoccupied this weekend.

The D5 is very nice...I love the cabinet we saw/heard. In terms of sound, the Sierra played deeper, seemed a bit more detailed in the mids, and a bit more extended in the highs. Other than the bass, the differences were subtle.

I thoughts the bass/lower mids, on the 140 were different than the Sierra.....thought the Sierras was punchier and cleaner in that area, but the room we were in was not great, and there was a lot of street noise.

Agreed on the 805.

GirgleMirt
09-17-2009, 07:10 PM
How about the SVS MTS01 at $948? Or the Outlaw Audio bookshelf at 999$? They made some buzz when announced, but I really haven't seen much about them...

curtis
09-17-2009, 08:15 PM
I've heard the Outlaw....nice speaker, but not the caliber of the Sierra IMO.