View Full Version : subwoofer hookup question

jazzman
08-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Hello,

I've got a two-channel stereo setup with a Hafler preamp, Adcom power amp and two CBM-170 SE's. I'd like to add a subwoofer but am not sure how. I tried using piggyback cables running from the preamp's "line out" to both the sub and the power anp, but it changed the stereo signal to mono. I was even thinking about buying a crossover box or maybe a parametric equalizer. Would it be better to just buy a new receiver with a subwoofer connection? Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have. :o

jvillas
08-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Hi jazzman, and welcome. By piggyback I assume you mean you are using a Y adapter. Unless there is something peculiar to the Hafler, your hook-up should work properly. What Hafler model are you using? I at one time owned the DH110, a great preamp especially its phono section. Check to make sure you did not by accident hit your mono switch if you have one.

jvillas
08-20-2009, 09:00 PM
One more question. If you turn off your subwoofer does your sound return to stereo?

davef
08-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Jazzman,

If your source signal is mono after connecting the RCA "Y" connectors, you have improperly connected the cables.

You will need two RCA Y connectors. See my rudimentary diagram below:

left preamp out:

|----> left amp input
Out ---> <---|

|----> subwoofer left input

right preamp out:

|----> right amp input
Out ---> <---|

|----> subwoofer right input

The above connection will keep your stereo signal intact and is the correct way to integrate the subwoofer into your setup. You will need (2) RCA Y connectors.

Hope this helps!

jazzman
08-21-2009, 02:19 PM
That worked! Thanks very much Dave and jvillas. For some reason the Y connectors did the trick whereas the piggyback cable had changed the signal to mono. Thanks again.

davef
08-21-2009, 10:32 PM
That worked! Thanks very much Dave and jvillas. For some reason the Y connectors did the trick whereas the piggyback cable had changed the signal to mono. Thanks again.

Excellent... You are most welcome!

amomiten73
10-13-2009, 12:04 PM
The manual for my sub says:

Speaker Level Output
When connected in this fashion, your satellite speakers will be fed the same input signal as the
subwoofer. This removes the lower bass from your satellites, enabling them to do a better job
reproducing high frequencies and giving your receiver’s amp more headroom up to 50 more
power. You may also connect your satellites directly to your receiver or amplifier along with the subwoofer if you wish to bypass this crossover.

What do you think the highlighted section means?