View Full Version : Upgrading from TV speakers to 2-channel music in big room. Tips?

yakimiiis
07-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi all. I am entering the world of grown-up audio after having listened to everything through our 9-year-old television speakers.

We are 70% music, 20% TV, 10% movies. And, yes, TV speakers. (Young kids...what can I say...)

I have everything on a HTPC that outputs either SPDIF or 3.5mm. (I may add a different sound-card that ouputs.) I am going to try and get by sans receiver or pre/pro for now, and think I have settled on external amp + two speakers. No surround, no sub for now -- though sub later.

I like what I read about Ascends, and could go for either Sierras or 340s. Where I'm stumped though is:

room size
amp

Our room is big. It's a combo living + open kitchen, approx 30x24. That said, we've been used to filling it with our TV speakers. But will the Sierras be appropriate or do I really need to look at floors?

Amp. I know nothing. Any suggestions for my setup?

thanks for any tips!

yakimiiis
07-22-2009, 02:06 PM
I should add that amp-wise I have looked at:

VirtueOne or Two (http://store.virtueaudio.com/product-p/vrtu-ia-ap11-1.htm)
Emotiva UPA2 (http://www.emotiva.com/upa2.shtm)
Whole bunch of random things on Audiogon

ebh
07-22-2009, 05:32 PM
I vote go for the Sierras despite the room size. Great WAF, great sound, if you need to put them close to a wall you can use the port plugs, and they will be extremely satisfying even without a sub for music, tv etc. The 340s are great, and more efficient, but I still think you'd be fine with the Sierras, especially assuming the prime listening area is fairly close to the tv.

As for amp, I don't know enough to have an opinion. I'm sure the Emotiva would treat you just fine. Those Virtues are cute. Though with that size space I'd probably trade up for the slight additional headroom the Emotiva has, especially since you will be driving your speakers full range. If you found something used with even more power, even better.

scape
07-22-2009, 09:10 PM
I +1 the sierra's for your situation: if you have the budget, and looking for WAF haha. they're beautiful and wonderful speakers, period. if budget is more a concern, 340's sounds right up your alley for efficiency, but any decent amp/avr can bring out sierra's, I'm certain.
many members like Emotiva amps for just strict amp duty, but I am more of an AVR fan myself, too many variables involved for someone sans AVR (especially if TV/Movies is in your future and you don't want a stack of electronics in the corner). I personally use the denon 1909, but I used HK with great success (instant success with their AVR's). good luck either way, ascend definitely is the way to go, even their 'bottom of the barrel' stuff is well above anything you'll find at local retail in similar pricing!

yakimiiis
07-22-2009, 10:26 PM
thanks for the responses. i ordered the emotiva about 20 minutes after posting, just decided to go with it. i am screweeeeeeeed and already worried about upgradeitis. especially since i was initially just going to get 340s with a cheap receiver, and now:

am this close to going w/ sierras. folks at work have worried me comparing the 92dB of the 340s to the 87dB of the sierras though given my large room. but we have made do with our tv speakers in the same room for two years without knowing what we're missing!

Tushar
07-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Am this close to going w/ sierras. folks at work have worried me comparing the 92dB of the 340s to the 87dB of the sierras though given my large room. but we have made do with our tv speakers in the same room for two years without knowing what we're missing!

I have 38 x 19 space (Liv+Dine+Kitchen). Emailing Dave F was helpful when I was faced with the same decision. I ended up getting Sierra-1 but that's not to say that 340SE wouldn't have been a good or better choice for a large space. I'm very happy with my decision and quite impressed by the bass output from these speakers. I frequently listen to the speakers in stereo and have more than once thought I had my subwoofer on when in fact I was listening to movies through the Sierra-1's in 2.0. Regarding your friends, I don't quite understand the concern re: sensitivity. I have Denon AVR-988 (110W/channel) and the Sierra-1's have no problem to reach reference level or even higher volumes that hurt my ears too much to listen at.

Ascend has a nice return policy (see their website) so there's not much at stake. I used their return policy to make changes to my back speakers and found it was a pleasant, efficient experience.

debo
07-23-2009, 07:38 AM
70% music and a emotiva amp with two speakers..
SIERRA-1 you will love them!
They will fill your space no problem.

yakimiiis
07-23-2009, 08:56 AM
alright all, i think i will def go sierra-1. price difference isn't that significant to warrant not going whole-hog here.

however: in my late-night fretting i've started to focus on my HTPC. As I mentioned above I've got the onboard sound with either SP/DIF or 3.5mm out... how much of a negative impact is my poor source? Am I better off ditching the Emotiva and for now going with a pre/pro or receiver that can handle digital-in? Or a better soundcard? Or just sticking with the 3.5mm-to-RCA for now?

Tushar
07-23-2009, 11:42 AM
There was discussion in another thread this forum re: how to get sound from PC. I'd do a keyword search.

If you have a good D/A conversion on the PC with well designed analogue circuit and decent quality cable connecting it to the amp, I'd think the only benefit of receiver or pre/pro is Audyssey, unless you get more speakers or a sub. I really like my receiver alot, but am always thinking whether to get a good amp (maybe a tube amp) for dedicated music. If I do, I will still use the receiver for 5.1 and use it as a pre/pro since it's got very good D/A converters.

yakimiiis
07-23-2009, 04:02 PM
thanks all, so i am officially underway. my emotiva as I mentioned has shipped; i ordered an m-audio 2496 card today which will give me RCA straight to the amp; and minutes ago i plunked down way more than I thought i would be spending on a pair of sierra-1s with stands...

cheers!