PDA

View Full Version : CBM-170 se center w Sierra 1 fronts

chicubs
07-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Has anyone heard Sierra 1's with a CBM-170 se center?
Is the timbre similar enough to not be discordant?
I am trying to decide weather to purhcase Sierra fronts or CBM-170 se fronts. I have a CBM-170 se already as a center and budget wise I do not have enough cash to purchase a Sierra center. Any thoughts?

p.s. This is the year, go Cubs.

curtis
07-20-2009, 12:04 PM
The timbre is very similar, as is with all Ascend speakers. You satisfaction will be determined by your own level of wanted perfection.

My guess is that you are 170SE center with other(non-Ascend) speakers now...right? If that is correct, I bet you would be happy with it matched to Sierras.

chicubs
07-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Your exactly right, I have Wharfedales as mains right now. I picked them up for next to nothing, but prefer the Ascend sound. I bought on impluse finding a deal, should of stuck with Ascend. Oh well you live and you learn. Cool to know that the CBM-170 SE and Sierra can play well together. Anyone else have notes of CBM-Sierra interaction?

BradJudy
07-20-2009, 12:59 PM
One option is to buy CBM-170SE fronts now, then move them to rears when you can afford Sierra-1 fronts. I think there are a lot of us who have Sierra fronts with CBM-170 rears. I bought all three Sierra fronts at once, so I can't comment on combining Sierra and CBM across the front.

curtis
07-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Brad's right....that is a good way to go.

I actually have Sierra's up front, 170SE's for side surrounds, and "classic" 170's for rear surrounds.....works great!

scape
07-21-2009, 06:11 PM
don't muck up great mains with the 170 center... I own 170 se's, and they are fantastic don't get me wrong, but pairing them with the sierra's for HT duty might end up less-than simply going phantom. I also own a sub and it helps fill in the punch, albeit with tons of drawback itself (I've actually been thinking about going with a second sub, one for each 170 at first, then another 340 down the pipeline so a sub for front and back; ultimately some sierra's with the rest in back--maybe a few years from now? haha); ridiculous right?

anyway, I say push the 170 back to the rear and get going some simple surround sound with beautiful sierra's up front as mains :D

eRob
07-21-2009, 07:42 PM
What about buying a sierra 1 for center and buying another 170se for right/left. You could then use your 170se center as a left/right. Has anyone tried that setup yet? Wonder if it would be any better than having all 170se's.