PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1s and Vintage Components

RossK
07-02-2009, 03:12 PM
I've listened to my Sierra-1s through a few vintage components and thought that I would give my very short impressions on their sound.

I play mostly through Winamp using an HT Omega Claro Halo sound card via lossless FLAC. I also use an old Technics 1600 mkii turntable at times, Stereo, CD, and XM-Radio through DirecTV.

These are in order from best sounding to worst

Receivers

Pioneer SX-950 Receiver

This receiver will put a smile on your face with about any genre of music on the Sierras. Many people like to brag about the two models above this, but this, in my opinion, has a more refined sound; As well as the models down to the 750.

Realistic STA-2290 Receiver

This receiver, believe it or not, is about equal with the SX-950 and has great synergy with the Sierras. The Realistic is best with the loudness on though, to a little less than 1-watt, and only has two 10k caps versus the Pioneers dual 22k caps. Still though, a really nice amp and very inexpensive.

Pioneer SX-727 Receiver

Nice punchy bass. I actually like the sound of this receiver over that of it's big brother, the SX-828.

Yamaha CR-2020 Receiver

Hollow sounding, or not as full sounding as those above, even though it is the most powerful amp section in the group. It was just missing something with the Sierras. I really didn't like its sound with any of the other speakers that I have either.

Integrated Amps

Pioneer SA-900 Integrated Amp

Really nice, like the two top receivers. I do believe that the bass and treble controls aren't set properly on this amp though (all SA-900s). They should be notched up one or two steps.

Accuphase E-202 Integrated Amp

Some people swear by these amps, but I
found it only okay. Maybe my hearing is flawed.

Yamaha CA-810 Integrated Amp

Sounded hollow like the CR-2020. The variable loudness feature helps. With the loudness on, it sounded much better. I personally thought it sounded better than the CR-2020.

Pioneer SA-9100 Integrated Amp

Really bright. This amp sounds fantastic with Marantz HD770 speakers and Polk RTA11s, but sounds incredibly harsh with the Sierras. This would be the only amp that I wouldn't recommend with the Sierras. All of the others would be worth keeping.

I've only mentioned lower-end vintage components. Those that most can afford.

I'd like to hear other peoples impressions of their vintage gear with the Sierras.

davef
07-07-2009, 02:29 AM
Nice summary Ross and thanks for taking the time to post this.

RossK
07-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks David!

I kind of wish others would respond with their experiences with vintage gear.

Anybody have old Marantz hooked up? Sherwood? Onkyo? Luxman? Rotel? Carver? Tube Gear? Fisher? Dynaco? etc. I've already heard McIntosh opinions, but rarely hear about anything else.

curtis
07-07-2009, 05:21 PM
I would, but I do not have any experience with older gear like that.

BradJudy
07-07-2009, 05:28 PM
I used to have an old Marantz, but got rid of it before I had Sierras. I picked up another one at a thrift store recently, but one of the output devices is dead.

I dig the style of the Pioneer SX-950 because we had a similar looking Realistic one when I was younger.

RossK
07-07-2009, 09:17 PM
If you ever find one at a yard sale, thrift, etc., for cheap, definitely pick it up. The x2x and x50 series sounds great. I haven't hear the x3x series yet, but would assume they sound good too.

I heard the Marantz were a little darker, richer, sounding than Pioneer, so I would like to try one some day.

bdfin
07-08-2009, 08:25 PM
I've got a marantz 2252 from the 70's, I guess I'll have to dig it out and try it with my sierras. Won't happen tomorrow, but I'll get around to it when I have more time on my hands.

BWG707
07-14-2009, 12:19 PM
I listened to my 340SEs using a Technics SA590 and it sounded fantastic. I really could not tell a difference in using the Technics amp or my Onkyo 606. Both sounded very rich and full bodied, nice mids. The Technics amp has a small built in EQ that can do alot to customize your sound, I was and still am impressed with that old Technics SA590. It is still in mint condition I had it stored away for years.

buddhadas
07-14-2009, 04:07 PM
As I have said before: McIntosh and Sierra's are a match made in heaven! :D I am using a c26 pre-amp and a Mc2105 amp, both from the 70's, and a newish onkyo cd player.

mthoodmark
01-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Hooked up a minty Sherwood 7910 I picked up on CL to my Sierras and they sound excellent! Almost seemed to be more transparent/image better than my Rotel RA-970BX but they were setup in different locations so it's not fair to judge...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k234/masmediaspace/sherwood.jpg