PDA

View Full Version : HTM-200SE and impedance

joe741
05-13-2009, 07:55 AM
The 200's have an average impedance of 8 ohms but I notice on their impedance graph they dip as low as 4.8 ohms and are in 5-6 ohm range a bit. What affect will that have on an AVR that is rated 6-8 ohms and has a history of going into PROTECTION mode for unknown reasons? It's a Marantz SR-6001 BTW.

DougMac
05-13-2009, 11:15 AM
When you say the Marantz goes into protection mode for unknown reasons, are you talking about a specific unit or the particular model being known for this? If it's the former, then it needs to be serviced. If it's the latter, I'd be shopping for a different brand.

The figures you quoted for the 200's indicate what I consider a quite well mannered speaker. Ascends are aimed at smart shoppers, I would venture to say their speakers, especially the 200's are driven by far more mid level receivers than high priced esoteric models able to handle funky loads. If Ascends couldn't be driven easily, they wouldn't have the success they've achieved, especially the way news spreads nowadays.

BTW, my rears in my 7.1 system are 200's. I've had no problems driving them, even with a cheap Panny.
Doug

joe741
05-13-2009, 11:58 AM
It's a Marantz SR-6001 as it says in the OP and I don't have one yet, I was just curious. BTW, My 5 200's have never caused me any troubles, even using an old RCA AVR.

curtis
05-13-2009, 01:11 PM
If the Marantz has that known history for unknown reasons, I think I would look for a different AVR.

davef
05-15-2009, 05:16 PM
The 200's have an average impedance of 8 ohms but I notice on their impedance graph they dip as low as 4.8 ohms and are in 5-6 ohm range a bit. What affect will that have on an AVR that is rated 6-8 ohms and has a history of going into PROTECTION mode for unknown reasons? It's a Marantz SR-6001 BTW.

The 200 SE's impedance profile is rather benign. The maximum phase angle is about -30 degrees at a point where impedance is between 8-10 ohms. This is an extremely easy to drive loudspeaker and should not present a problem to any receiver.