PDA

View Full Version : newbie reciever question

herkPRIME
04-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Hey guys, i've been loving reading the forums here and have been interested in buying the 170's for a stereo setup (at first) and then looking to expand with a 340 in the center and 200's in the rear. Right now i'm looking at getting a Yamaha 665 (or 663) to run the setup. I'm not really a high end audiophile looking to spend high end dollars, just want a nicer-than-a-HTIB setup for my tv area in my apartment.

so what do you guys think? Does the yamaha have the juice? I know HK is recommended by a lot of people here, but it just seems the yamaha give you more bang for your buck (much like ascend :) ). That's my theme - bang for you buck.

Lastly, any sub recommendation? i like the ones sold here, but they seem a little too expensive for my taste (and maybe more powerful than my apartment needs). Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting my ascends and everything set up!

vandy23
04-30-2009, 05:33 PM
I have had both Yamaha and Onkyo and I would go with the Onkyo. Easier set up and operation and you get more features for less money.

As far as subs go, check out Elemental Designs. They are very much like Ascend in that they are a mom and pop operation that offers a great product direct for a great price.

ccotenj
04-30-2009, 07:41 PM
I have had both Yamaha and Onkyo and I would go with the Onkyo. Easier set up and operation and you get more features for less money.

As far as subs go, check out Elemental Designs. They are very much like Ascend in that they are a mom and pop operation that offers a great product direct for a great price.

i like my pio sc-05... and you can still find a few at a more than reasonable price... but to be completely honest, most avr's in the same price range from most ce's are relatively comparable... imo, none of them are particularly "difficult" to set up, but that being said, i've set up heaven knows how many systems, so ymmv...

as far as eD goes... i wouldn't do dave the disservice of comparing his company to eD...

Tushar
04-30-2009, 08:08 PM
There's a lot of good choices at each price point. I'm sure you'll find the good threads on the internet. I have Hsu VTF3.3 and like it. Do actually measure how large these things are, though (don't just read the specs, visualize it in your room). Some of the ported subs are freakishly large.

herkPRIME
05-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the responses. I did find the STF-1 and 2 on the HSU website that looked interesting. anyone have either of those subs, and could give a recommendation or not?

ccotenj
05-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Do actually measure how large these things are, though (don't just read the specs, visualize it in your room). Some of the ported subs are freakishly large.

yea, if someone has never had a "big" sub before, i'd suggest making a box out of cardboard that has the same dimensions as the sub and taking that box and putting it in their room, so they can actually "see" what it's going to look like...

similar to when someone is looking at a big flat panel for the first time, it's helpful to have a real visual aid...

as far as the hsu's the op is looking at... op, if you go here (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=113) and search for the subs you are considering, you'll find more information than you can shake a stick at...

good luck! remember that it's supposed to be fun to shop for audio equipment and don't get frustrated... :)

vandy23
05-01-2009, 07:08 AM
hey ccotenj don't get your hair up about the ed comparison!! I was not comparing ed to Ascend for sub quailty. herkprime was asking for alternatives to the Rythmiks because of price. My comparison to ed was made to illustrate that they share a similar business model with Ascend; quality product, soild reviews, good custiomer service and a knowledgeable staff.

curtis
05-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the responses. I did find the STF-1 and 2 on the HSU website that looked interesting. anyone have either of those subs, and could give a recommendation or not?
I think those models are some of the best sounding in their price ranges.

ccotenj
05-01-2009, 07:59 AM
hey ccotenj don't get your hair up about the ed comparison!! I was not comparing ed to Ascend for sub quailty. herkprime was asking for alternatives to the Rythmiks because of price. My comparison to ed was made to illustrate that they share a similar business model with Ascend; quality product, soild reviews, good custiomer service and a knowledgeable staff.

my comment had NOTHING to do with the subs themselves... i own neither, and thus am in no position to comment on the specifics of the actual subs...

my comment was exactly what i said... i would not do dave the disservice of comparing his business to eD's business... this isn't the right place to digress on that topic, but if you do a little searching (especially in car audio related forums), you'll be able to figure out what i mean...

ok, i'll make one small further comment... dave does not steal others designs, nor does he lie about his product...

vandy23
05-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the advice as I have done plenty of research and found mostly great stuff about the company. Every company has friend and foe, especially on the various forums. But your right, this is not a place to digress further. A final thought however...

Sombody asked for alternatives and and I gave my opinion on what I believe is to be a solid product. You can certainely disagree. I own one so therfore I can vouch for the quality of the product. I also have dealt with their customer service and staff, both of whom were professional and educated with regards to subs. I don't believe everything I read but I do vouch for my own personal experience, so therefore I stand by my recommendation.

herkPRIME
05-03-2009, 06:09 PM
So here's what i've ordered. I got the Yamaha rx-v665 and a pair of b-stock 170's and a b-stock 340 for the center. I'm going to test those out, and see how they fare, and then build off of that system, most likely going with the 200's in the back and an HSU stf-1 for a sub. I don't have a huge viewing area, but want it to sound as good as i can, at a price my wife can live with :) Looking forward to hooking it all up!

Tushar
05-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Herkprime,

Sounds like a good plan, but since you are taking your time to order the sub, I would suggest you do more research and think about your longer term requirements. The Ascends you are ordering I suspect would scale well to a larger room size. With the STF-1, though, I would question whether you are better off to put a little more cash toward something better if there is possibility your room size will increase or you may move into something with less neighbors down the road. I think the guidance on sub size vs. room size on Hsu website is accurate.

herkPRIME
05-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks Tushar,
That's why i initially thought of getting the STF-1, because the room size guide, but you're right, i might want to go slightly larger to avoid upgrading. Thanks for the advice!

herkPRIME
05-11-2009, 05:45 PM
So i've had them set up for a few days and i'll give a quick impression.
I got the 3 front speakers, 170's right and left and 340 center. I LOVE them. So far they sound outstanding. Most pleasing thus far is the bass that i get out of them. I still plan on adding a sub at some point soon, but i love the rich natural bass that i get out of music and special effects even without it. Music is fantastic, but i'm still hunting for that one perfect album to try out on it. TV and movie enjoyment has thus far VASTLY improved from both the regular tv speakers (duh) and the old sony HTIB that i used to own.
Before buying these i was almost sold on some paradigm atoms or micros. I though those had a nice rich sound and a good sound field. But...not even close to the beautiful natural tones of the ascends. I'm very happy with this purchase.
I have them connected to the yamaha rx-v665 which has been great thus far for my needs. I love putting the reciever into "pure direct" mode, it makes a WORLD of difference in almost all applications. I love it.
As a side note, i ordered b-stock speakers and i have to say that i can't even see one flaw on any of the speakers. I'm sure they're there if i really started studying them, but, a great deal on amazing speakers is too good a chance to pass up. Next stop 200's for the rear and a nice simple subby.

davef
05-15-2009, 01:00 AM
Hi herck,

I am very pleased that you are enjoying the speakers!!! I do agree with Tushar, go for something a bit larger than the STF-1 if possible.

Enjoy!