as soon as they are sold, I am ordering Espresso Sierra

ccotenj
04-29-2009, 05:52 PM
as soon as they are sold, I am ordering Espresso Sierra

man up! order them now! :D

TKYR67
04-29-2009, 05:56 PM
man up! order them now! :D

LOL. We are in a recession. I want new speakers, I don't NEED new speakers.

You man up and buy my Swans.:p

ccotenj
04-29-2009, 06:23 PM
too late... i've already ordered and paid for the cherry's... :)

and managed to move 2 out of 5 of my naturals... figured i might as well beat the rush...

Galwin
04-30-2009, 05:47 AM
I am curious about your assessment of the Swan's. Also, did you compare them directly to the Sierra's?

mziegler
04-30-2009, 06:46 AM
I have directly compared both. The Swans are a very good speaker. I preferred the Sierra. I think the imaging on the Sierras was better, and the bass was tighter.

TKYR67
04-30-2009, 07:22 AM
I am curious about your assessment of the Swan's. Also, did you compare them directly to the Sierra's?

I compared them and I will say it was close. The Swan's had bigger bass but the bass was tighter on the Sierra. I also think I preferred the tweeter on the Sierra. I went with the Swans because they dropped in price and came in at about $300 less than the Sierra. Not to mention that the finish is AMAZING on the Swans.

I loved the natural Sierra but it didn't match anything in my room and I had heard about the edges wearing down, and I just didn't want another black speaker. This Espresso finish changes things a bit.

curtis
04-30-2009, 08:22 AM
...and I had heard about the edges wearing down...
Huh? Can you explain?

TKYR67
04-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Huh? Can you explain?

One of the reviews I read about the Sierra mentioned the edges of the naturals were worn or dulled. can't remember which review.

curtis
04-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Interesting....they certainly are not sharp edges, but worn/dull? They seem nicely finished to me.

I would imagine the other finishes have the same edges.

Tushar
04-30-2009, 01:04 PM
I think I remember a review of the pre-production Sierra-1 (>1 year ago) where they noted some defects in the corners of the speaker. I recall that the article mentioned Dave insisting it was going to be addressed before production. Because of that article and a personal fascination with wood, I spent alot of time inspecting the finish (especially the corners) of my natural Sierra-1's. You do see a bit of what looks like some of the end grain (like 2-3mm long and <1 mm wide) at the very corners from where the different pieces are joined and rounded, but the finish job is flawless- no defects. I'm quite impressed -- though my own woodworking skills aren't that great, my standards for furniture are pretty high.

Tushar
04-30-2009, 01:58 PM
That said, I can respect the difficulty of matching finishes and am happy that TKYR67 has found an option he likes. My house I had to stain my oak floors very light with a non-yellowing water finish to maintain a good contrast with natural cherry cabinets. I have neutral tones on the wall like khaki or red ochre and a mix of off-white leather and scandinavian teak furniture. I have a neutral and colorful enough environment that I can throw pretty much any kind of painting, metal piece, or speaker finish into the room and it works. I can envision many houses of friends where my speaker finish would not have worked as well.

jk121764
05-01-2009, 05:02 PM
One of the reviews I read about the Sierra mentioned the edges of the naturals were worn or dulled. can't remember which review.

I think on one of the earlier reviews they had some cabinent issues, at least with the test Sierrias. I bought mine a few years into the run and I don't notice any defects at all.

davef
05-04-2009, 08:40 PM

I believe you were referring to the Audioholics review. The pair I sent to them was actually a prototype pair as they wanted to be the first to review the speaker. The cabinets themselves were not "production quality". Nevertheless, I do understand your concerns but we receive nothing but very positive comments regarding the finish and build quality of the Sierra-1 :D

TKYR67
05-22-2009, 01:13 PM
I have a sale pending on my Swans. :D I will be ordering Espresso Sierra's as soon as I complete this sale.

davef
05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
I have a sale pending on my Swans. :D I will be ordering Espresso Sierra's as soon as I complete this sale.

Congrats!!!

Cabinets will be shipped to us next week (finally!) -- the option of pre-pay discounting will end once our shipment is in transit so I would recommend getting your order in this week, if you wish to take advantage of the pre-pay discount.

Thanks!

ccotenj
05-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Cabinets will be shipped to us next week (finally!) --

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

c_smith
05-26-2009, 09:54 PM
the option of pre-pay discounting will end once our shipment is in transit so I would recommend getting your order in this week, if you wish to take advantage of the pre-pay discount.

Crap! Putting me on the spot! Now I have to make a choice...there's no way I could pick them up without the discount, so now knowing that it's ending...it's nail-biting time! Now I have to see if I can man up! :eek:

davef
05-28-2009, 02:56 PM
:D
Crap! Putting me on the spot! Now I have to make a choice...there's no way I could pick them up without the discount, so now knowing that it's ending...it's nail-biting time! Now I have to see if I can man up! :eek:

Ha -- You have been thinking about picking up a pair of these for a very long time now. Never been a better time than now -- time to go for it :D

c_smith
05-28-2009, 04:53 PM
I know! Don't know how long ago I emailed you questions for the first time! :o I'm just gun-shy! But, in all seriousness, at those prices, I think I need to. I did take the first step; took photos of my speakers, so they're ready to go up for sale. :D

davef
05-29-2009, 03:06 PM
I know! Don't know how long ago I emailed you questions for the first time! :o I'm just gun-shy! But, in all seriousness, at those prices, I think I need to. I did take the first step; took photos of my speakers, so they're ready to go up for sale. :D

I was just giving you a hard time ;)

Seriously though, you should give the speakers a try -- you have been curious for such a long time now.