PDA

View Full Version : How to get the sound I want?

KostaVan
04-25-2009, 11:52 PM
I've had my system hooked up for 5 months now and just feel like I'm not getting the full sound I desire. Maybe I prefer 3-way floorstanders but not so sure.

I have 3 CMT340SE with the left and right on Ascend stands and 4 CBM170SE across back

I feel like its lacking when I play music (SACDs on the PS3) --- The previous speakers I have used are Yamaha NS-777 and Energy bookshelves.

The receiver I am using is a Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH

I have the speakers slightly toed in and plenty of space behind them for the ports. I have run auto-calibrate on the receiver and then used an SPL meter to dial them in. Crossover is at 80hz and I am using an SVS cylinder sub for the real low end.

It just sounds like the speakers are "veiled" somehow....like they need to open up. Sounds to me like they are covered with a sheet.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

InstantEulogy
04-26-2009, 06:38 AM
That's how I would describe the way mine sounds after I run Audyssey MultEQ as well. Scratch the audyssey man. Use your spl meter and some test tones that you can get off the internet if equalization is what you are after. Level match all 7 speakers and sub with your spl meter as well. The room you are in may have issues that your speakers are accenting, you can then proceed with treating it acoustically if that is something you are after.

curtis
04-26-2009, 10:02 AM
I would check the connections, make sure the polarity is correct, and on the 340SE's, make sure the jumpers between the terminals are there.

Also make sure that any DSP effects are turned off at the receiver.

Eddie Horton
04-27-2009, 12:09 PM
I'll second the recommendation to turn off any and all processing and see what it sounds like to you, then. Personally, I never have liked the YPAO setup in Yamaha's or Audyssey in Onkyo's that I have tried. Check your connections, set distance then level match and see what you think. Every auto-EQ setup that I've heard seem to roll off the highs too much for my liking.

davef
04-28-2009, 03:40 PM
I have the speakers slightly toed in and plenty of space behind them for the ports. I have run auto-calibrate on the receiver and then used an SPL meter to dial them in. Crossover is at 80hz and I am using an SVS cylinder sub for the real low end.

It just sounds like the speakers are "veiled" somehow....like they need to open up. Sounds to me like they are covered with a sheet.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

"Veiled" is typically a description associated when high frequencies are being rolled off. Like others have mentioned, I would strongly recommend turning off the auto-calibrate function as auto-EQ functions are known to roll-off the highs.

We run the tweeters wide open on the 340SE -- they are not rolled off, so if the speakers still sound veiled to you after turning off your receiver's auto-calibrate function, something is not quite right and please let us know.

Also be sure that the bi-wire jumpers are properly installed on the back of each speaker.

Please keep us updated!