PDA

View Full Version : Extra shelf to go on existing TV stand?

brett
03-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations for an extra shelf to go on top of an existing TV stand? I am planning to raise my TV up about 8" so that my center channel can go under it. I was thinking of fabricating something myself but if I can easily buy an already made one, I might do that. Here is a link to one of the "extra shelves" I found online...

http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/377524.htm

I don't care if the shelf is made out of metal or wood, but I do prefer it to be black in color and hopefully cheaper than the one above.

debo
03-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Without seeing your setup it might be easier to fabricate something yourself.
Good to see a fellow Clevelander with Ascend's.

brett
03-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Without seeing your setup it might be easier to fabricate something yourself.
Good to see a fellow Clevelander with Ascend's.

Here is what I have..

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/8289/img2394tg9.jpg

I am looking for some sort of shelf to place on top of my existing TV stand that will raise the TV up at least 8" so that I can put my center channel under it. I will fabricate something if I have to but I would prefer to buy something if such a shelf exists.

rogerm
03-30-2009, 05:45 PM
I just had one made by Greg at www.bestvaluetvswivels.com. I needed one a bit lower and without a swivel, so I had him make a custom one. Great guy to deal with and very nice work.

debo
03-31-2009, 04:06 AM
Those look like a great fit.

DaveHo
03-31-2009, 06:00 AM
I made something similar in the past. Sound quality definately took a hit. Given that you can't place it on a stand in front, I still think your best solution is to wall mount the center.

-Dave

Mag_Neato
03-31-2009, 06:28 AM
How about a stand similar to what that site makes, but with a slide-out shelf underneath so you can pull the center speaker out while watching movies? That way, the speaker will be out past the front of the cabinet and tv eliminating the effects of those surfaces.

Mag_Neato
03-31-2009, 08:53 AM
Just for S's & G's I emailed Gregg about my idea. Unfortunately, he cannot customize a stand as I mentioned. It would not be all that difficult to fabricate though. I slapped together a stand out of 3/4" vinyl laminated particle board shelving from Home Depot. Had them cut the pieces to size, then used a cheap cordless drill to fasten everything together using black, course thread drywall screws. If I add a bottom shelf like Gregg does on his stands, I could fasten some drawer glides to a seperate shelf and attach that to it. For a larger tv like yours, you will want to use oak boards. Home Depot carries one-by boards they can cut to size for you. They are 3/4" thick, and come in widths from 1 1/2" to 11 1/4" I believe. The 1 1/2" wide is the 1x2, the 11 1/4" wide is the 1x12, etc. Predrill pilot holes for the screws. You can also, and probably should, use a good wood glue on the joints along with the screws.

drewface
04-04-2009, 07:33 AM
I just had one made by Greg at www.bestvaluetvswivels.com. I needed one a bit lower and without a swivel, so I had him make a custom one. Great guy to deal with and very nice work.do you have a picture of what you got? i'm looking for essentially the same thing brett is.

rogerm
04-05-2009, 05:20 AM
Sorry, camera is on the blink, but mine is just a variation of the second one down on the first page of the site. The 25 X 15 two shelf black LCD stand for $57.00.