PDA

View Full Version : Startup Advice

stevec
03-09-2009, 07:50 AM
I am probably about 2.5 weeks from startup. All of my speakers and accessories have arrived (they are in my recieving area [aka bedroom]). I have ran a new electrical circuit, opened up the wall and roughed in floating shelves. I probably have a couple more nights and next weekend getting all the mounts, and wiring in place. Next week will be drywall repair and painting.
So anyways around the 23rd - 28th I will be turning my audio system on for the first time. So I am looking to put together a stepwise strategy for startup, testing, and adjustment. I would like your all experiences on what have you learned to be the best first steps. Are their any pitfalls I need to watch out for? Things like should I adjust my subwoofer before I turn it on to default settings? What about setting the surrounds to "small"? Looking at my equipment do you see any problem areas?

Equipment:
Panasonic TH-50PZ800U
Onkyo TX 806 Receiver
Denon 1600 (Yes is an oldy, but a goody) DVD Player
Ascend Sierra Mains
Ascend Sierra Center
Ascend 340 SE Side Surrounds
Ascend 340 SE Back Surrounds
Rythmik 15SE Subwoofer
ATT UVERSE Receiver
(Perhaps a PS3, still in trade negotiations)

Yet To Acquire:
Blue Ray,
Turn Table
CD Player
Pre Amp

Thanks,
Steve C

davef
03-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi Steve,

I edited your post and changed the icon from the thumbs down to the question mark, as you mentioned :)

So anyways around the 23rd - 28th I will be turning my audio system on for the first time. So I am looking to put together a stepwise strategy for startup, testing, and adjustment. I would like your all experiences on what have you learned to be the best first steps. Are their any pitfalls I need to watch out for? Things like should I adjust my subwoofer before I turn it on to default settings? What about setting the surrounds to "small"? Looking at my equipment do you see any problem areas?

The appropriate steps to take after everything is properly connected is to run through the speaker configuration procedures of your Onkyo. I would recommend setting the volume (gain setting) on the back of the subwoofer to 50%. If you use Audyssey in your receiver, it will automatically set the speakers to large or small etc, however, be aware that this does not always work as planned and your speakers should absolutely be set to small and I would recommend a crossover setting of either 60 or 80Hz...

Enjoy!!!