PDA

View Full Version : Sierra 1 for computer speakers??

shawn784
01-26-2009, 07:45 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has a pair of Sierra-1 for computer speakers. My logitech 5.1 is about shot (8 years old). I would like to get one pair and was wondering how to integrate it into my computer system. What else would i need and about what would the cost to be.

I currently have a 7.2 system with sierra fronts so i already know about the speakers etc. and that is why i am back asking for another pair.

Any news on Sierra-2? If so i might just move the HT fronts to my computer if the wait will not be too long.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DougMac
01-27-2009, 05:15 AM
It sounds like you're thinking of stereo only. In that case you'll need a good sound card (if you don't already have one) and a good amplifier.

I don't have Sierras, but I use an M-Audio 24/96 sound card, which has good DACS and sounds great. I feed that into a NAD integrated amp to allow me to switch to listen to my reel to reel, cassette and my turntable. It also feeds a line out to the sound card to allow me to capture audio from the above. I then feed the pre-outs of the integrated amp to a NAD power amp. It sounds fine.

Doug

BradJudy
01-27-2009, 06:36 AM
I'm using CBM-170SE's on my computer.

As Doug noted, you need a soundcard and an integrated amp. You can start with just the built-in soundcard in your computer and move to either a better soundcard or DAC later.

For an integrated amp, I would either keep an eye on the used market for good deals, or try one of the "desktop" class amps like these: http://www.audio-magus.com/category_s/36.htm

mziegler
01-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Of course you could be like me and just use a receiver connected to your computer via a USB connection.

I'm using the HTM-200s--non-ported, so close to the wall is no problem. I also have a riser on my desk. Lots of speakers at a small size. Now, if I should somewhow win a pair of Sierras in a certain raffle, hello Q-plugs.

I have been told the 170 is good nearfield. Would that be the case with the Sierra?

rabbit
01-28-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm using the sierra's for computer speakers. For my tastes I like them on my desk about 2' away from me. For me, putting them further away in the room has some pretty big bass issues as well as ending up partially behind my monitors which seems to blur the sound.

I use them pretty much 100% for music these days - haven't played any FPS for a long time so I'm not sure how they do for gaming purposes but I suspect they're overkill for a 3D gaming setup.

The sound card is definitely going to make a difference as well as choosing the right parameters in the driver. I used to use the onboard AC97 sound, tried an external USB card as well as an older audigy 2 ZS - the audigy 2 sounds significantly clearer than the others, although some conversion rates (e.g. 192kHz in both 16 & 24 bit) sound awful for some reason.

I've also been considering getting an inexpensive amp with digital in such as the HK 3390 or onkyo 8555, might be something to look at.

muzz
01-30-2009, 04:08 PM
I use Sierra L/C/R and 170SE for surrounds through my HTPC system...

If ya have an old Stereo Receiver you can use that, I have a set of tall floor standers(2x12") hooked up to a different computer through an old 100Wx2 Technics receiver, and that thing will smack down any set of computer speakers I've ever heard.

IOW as stated, you will need an amplifier of some sort to power them.

dmitchell
02-16-2009, 03:26 PM
I use a SuperPro USB DAC from Audiomagus (http://www.audio-magus.com/Super_Pro_DAC707SE_USB_p/dac707usb.htm) to my Rotel RA-02 integrated. Mind you, I'm currently using Paradigm Studio 20's for my PC system (overkill, I know) but I'm sure the Sierra's would sound awesome.

quee
02-17-2009, 05:59 PM
My Logitech 5.1 died as well so I ended up on a huge upgrade path to where I am now. I use a creative x-fi sound card and digital out to an HK AVR-254 receiver for my Sierra-1 5.1 system. I don't consider it overkill since I use the PC for home theater as well. Purists might quibble, but it sounds great to me!