PDA

View Full Version : CBM-170 SE as center channel

chicubs
01-26-2009, 07:14 PM
I am a noob looking for a center channel for my system

HK 254
Mirage Omni S8 sub
Fluance SX-HTB 5 speaker

The home theater cabinet I have will accommodate either the HTM-200 SE or CBM-170 SE. My question is this; Is it un-advisable to use the CBM-170 SE as a center? Will Ascend sell a single? I like the stats on the CBM-170 SE a bit better. The eventual plan will be to replace the fluance speakers with Ascend.
One more thing I do not have spousal wiggle room regarding the entertainment cabinet, and I am not situated near a wall to mount a bracket for a center.

Here's hoping that this is the year for the Cubs.

placebo473
01-27-2009, 09:20 AM
I know Ascend will sell you a single. You can use any speaker for a center channel. However, the CBM-170SEs and HTM-200SEs work well in that application. I'm sure others want to know, 'What are your long term plans for your system?' It's likely you will feel the need to upgrade your other speakers.

Mag_Neato
01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
The 170 was Ascend's original center speaker. It should work fine. The rear port should be allowed to breathe, but that's true of the 340's and Sierra-1. The Sierra-1 does offer the Q-plugs for closed-in or near-wall placement.

chicubs
01-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the response. Cool community here :cool:

I went with the CBM-170 SE for the center, which I'm pumped about.
I will most definitely have to upgrade the other Fluance speakers to Ascends Sierra 1's or CMT 340 SE's for the front. But have to hold off for a month or two. I am very happy with the Mirage sub.

I replaced a JBL sub sat system with the fluance. The JBL sub was damged in a move and the cnet recommendation for fluance made me take the bait.

You know what? The fluance speakers weren't worth it.

curtis
01-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the response. Cool community here :cool:

I went with the CBM-170 SE for the center, which I'm pumped about.
I will most definitely have to upgrade the other Fluance speakers to Ascends Sierra 1's or CMT 340 SE's for the front. But have to hold off for a month or two. I am very happy with the Mirage sub.

I replaced a JBL sub sat system with the fluance. The JBL sub was damged in a move and the cnet recommendation for fluance made me take the bait.

You know what? The fluance speakers weren't worth it.
You might want to hold off on getting the center. If you order the rest of the Ascends within 30 days, you will get the package deal.