PDA

View Full Version : HTM-200SE in an entertainment center?

In2Photos
01-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Hello all.

I have a fairly new entertainment center in which my current center channel will not fit :mad: so it resides on top, tilted down. I would like to find something that will fit in the space. The HTM-200SE seems to fit the bill. Now, there is also the potential to replace my current towers with either an LCR type speaker or bookshelf and place them in the entertainment center as well. The entertainment center can be seen here (http://www.roomstogo.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=showItem&ipac_id=8380). The center will reside in the top center section. If the HTM-200SE will work well I may also use 2 more placed within the entertainment center as well, in either the two locations next to the center or vertically down the sides.

Has anyone used the HTM-200 like this before? Are you happy with the sound?

Thanks.

azanon
01-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Hello all.

I have a fairly new entertainment center in which my current center channel will not fit :mad: so it resides on top, tilted down. I would like to find something that will fit in the space. The HTM-200SE seems to fit the bill. Now, there is also the potential to replace my current towers with either an LCR type speaker or bookshelf and place them in the entertainment center as well. The entertainment center can be seen here (http://www.roomstogo.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=showItem&ipac_id=8380). The center will reside in the top center section. If the HTM-200SE will work well I may also use 2 more placed within the entertainment center as well, in either the two locations next to the center or vertically down the sides.

Has anyone used the HTM-200 like this before? Are you happy with the sound?

Thanks.

If that relatively inexpensive entertainment center were my only hurdle, I'd sell it/get rid of it. I've heard a 340 Classic center and an HTM-200SE center and, IMO, the 340 Classic blew it away. HTM-200s/SE's make incredible rear speakers IMO, but for fronts, I know I'd want something more.

I, myself, am currently in a situation where I have no place to put a 340. My problem will be at least 3x as expensive to fix as what yours would be because my entertainment center is "built-in", and much larger.

I'd save your funds to replace the entertainment center first, then save for a 340SE or Sierra center. I'd want a bigger TV than what that entertainment center holds too.

In2Photos
01-22-2009, 01:08 PM
If that relatively inexpensive entertainment center were my only hurdle, I'd sell it/get rid of it. I've heard a 340 Classic center and an HTM-200SE center and, IMO, the 340 Classic blew it away. HTM-200s/SE's make incredible rear speakers IMO, but for fronts, I know I'd want something more.

I, myself, am currently in a situation where I have no place to put a 340. My problem will be at least 3x as expensive to fix as what yours would be because my entertainment center is "built-in", and much larger.

I'd save your funds to replace the entertainment center first, then save for a 340SE or Sierra center. I'd want a bigger TV than what that entertainment center holds too.
WOW! Thanks for the dig on my "cheap" entertainment center. :rolleyes: Considering we just purchased it not too long ago I think we will keep it. I realize that in a perfect world we would all have larger TVs and gobs of room for large speakers as well as an unlimited budget. Unfortunately I live in, well, reality!

Since my room is open to two other rooms and an entry way, as well as having a wall of windows with a fireplace I am extremely limited to what I can do. The entertainment center allowed me to get the TV out of the dreaded fireplace niche and still allow me to keep my existing towers and other equipment. Unfortunately my center channel is about a half an inch too big.

Thanks for the info on the 340 vs the 200s. I realize that they would sound better, I expect them to. But I will not be going that route.

chas
01-22-2009, 03:15 PM
It looks like the 200SE may be a good candidate for the space limitations of your entertainment center (which looks pretty nice to me!). Have you measured the shelf areas to compare with the specs of the 200SE's? The side vertical shelves look a bit small even for the 200's.

buddhadas
01-22-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm with Chas on this. Are the shelves on the side adjustable? I don't know about width, but height would then not be an issue. Regardless of the previous posters opinion, I think it is a fine looking entertainment center. In my world 900 clams does not sound cheap!

Peace,

Jim

DavidD
01-22-2009, 04:45 PM
I have no idea whether the 200 would fit or not, but a sealed speaker (like the HTM-200) seems ideal for this application.

In2Photos
01-22-2009, 07:02 PM
It looks like the 200SE may be a good candidate for the space limitations of your entertainment center (which looks pretty nice to me!). Have you measured the shelf areas to compare with the specs of the 200SE's? The side vertical shelves look a bit small even for the 200's.
Thanks for your comments. I have measured several times. :D The center would have no issues. For the L and R speakers I would either have to use the two slots right next to the center (which are almost identical in size) or use the very bottom shelf on the sides. The shelves are not adjustable but the speaker will fit if I remove the back (1/4" plywood and slide the speaker in from there since the outer style (vertical support) overhangs.

I'm with Chas on this. Are the shelves on the side adjustable? I don't know about width, but height would then not be an issue. Regardless of the previous posters opinion, I think it is a fine looking entertainment center. In my world 900 clams does not sound cheap!

Peace,

Jim
Thanks Jim. I agree, 900 (plus shipping and tax :D) is not cheap to me either. Heck I don't really want to spend the money on the new center, but I hate having my current one on top. It is about 2 feet from the top of the TV, way too high.

I have no idea whether the 200 would fit or not, but a sealed speaker (like the HTM-200) seems ideal for this application.
Thanks David!

azanon
01-26-2009, 10:07 AM
WOW! Thanks for the dig on my "cheap" entertainment center. :rolleyes: Considering we just purchased it not too long ago I think we will keep it. I realize that in a perfect world we would all have larger TVs and gobs of room for large speakers as well as an unlimited budget. Unfortunately I live in, well, reality!

I'm sorry you did not like my opinion.

The word i used was "inexpensive". If you want to quote me, please get the polite word correct, and don't insert an impolite one.

None of the speakers sold by Ascend - with perhaps the exception of the sub - have any significant space requirements. And even for the sub, you certainly don't need "gobs of room".

Nobody's budget is unlimited. Feel free to put words in my mouth - it still won't make them mine.

Since my room is open to two other rooms and an entry way, as well as having a wall of windows with a fireplace I am extremely limited to what I can do. The entertainment center allowed me to get the TV out of the dreaded fireplace niche and still allow me to keep my existing towers and other equipment. Unfortunately my center channel is about a half an inch too big.

Still, I've seen entertainment centers no larger than yours and probably no more expensive than yours, that allowed for room to grow with TVs, and allow for options to mount a larger center channel than an HTM-200.

Thanks for the info on the 340 vs the 200s. I realize that they would sound better, I expect them to. But I will not be going that route.

Then why did you ask if we were happy with the sound of the 200C if you weren't going to consider another option anyway?

In2Photos
01-26-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm sorry you did not like my opinion.

The word i used was "inexpensive". If you want to quote me, please get the polite word correct, and don't insert an impolite one.

I didn't ask for your opinion on my entertainment center. I asked if the 200 would well in my entertainment center. You certainly have the right to tell me whatever you want and I completely understand that.

None of the speakers sold by Ascend - with perhaps the exception of the sub - have any significant space requirements. And even for the sub, you certainly don't need "gobs of room".

That is good to know. I was simply curious if the 200s would work well in a cabinet environment. Some speakers do not.

Still, I've seen entertainment centers no larger than yours and probably no more expensive than yours, that allowed for room to grow with TVs, and allow for options to mount a larger center channel than an HTM-200.

That may be the case. I too saw others as well. But in the end my wife and I decided on THIS one, not another one. It had the look we desired, fit the space requirements we had, and was within our budget.

Then why did you ask if we were happy with the sound of the 200C if you weren't going to consider another option anyway?
There are other options. I didn't feel it was prudent to discuss other brands of speakers on this forum. The 340 is not an option because it won't fit the space! I have no doubts that it sounds great based on everything I have read about it. It just won't work for this configuration, that is all.

Tushar
01-26-2009, 01:13 PM
I think you've got your feedback, already but just to chime in.

The HTM-200SE is a sealed speaker so it should sound okay in an enclosure. I had mine in an enclosure briefly routing cables (8" tall, 20" wide, 20" deep) and it sounded fine. With my Sierra-1 I had issue in an enclosure because it is a ported design (so I needed to use the foam plugs to cure it's cold which worked beautifully)

In terms of sound quality, I would say the 200's sound to me way better than my previous speakers (old Advents) or my dad's speakers (older JBLs), and most of the speakers I've heard at dinner parties. I also think it sounds much, much better than my last center channel (CSW Newton MC500 ($400)) though that's not saying much. I think it's a very good speaker for it's price and size, especially if you are using a sub...

milkfat
01-26-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm currently using the HTM-200SE as my center channel and I have no complaints. Did you say whether or not you will be using the 200SEs with a subwoofer? I have my speakers crossed over at 80hz and the 200SE doesn't seem to have any trouble keeping up with the Sierra-1 mains during movies and television. Dialogue is very clear and the sound stage up front has impressed me thus far.

However, you'll likely want a subwoofer to fill in the low end if you decide to move away from your tower speakers (that is if you don't already have a sub).

My left surround is a 200SE sitting inside a bookshelf. I have the speaker flush with the front of the shelf and I am frequently startled by the "realness" of some of the surround effects (knocking on doors and such).

I'm pretty sure this speaker was designed with a situation like yours in mind.

DougMac
01-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Put the L/R 200's in the vertical spaces on either side. Team the 200s with a killer sub, like one of the Rhythmiks listed here and you'll be fine.

I bought a pair of used 200 classics to test the Ascend sound before springing for a whole outfit. My living room has built in cabinets on either side of the fireplace. I've got Boston Acoustics CR9's on the shelves. I put the 200s next to them to do some A/B testing. With my subwoofer I actually preferred the 200s, even turned up loud!

You'll definately need a sub (notice a theme here?). They aren't designed to go deep. They are great underappreciated little speakers. I say go for it!

Doug

scape
01-27-2009, 05:15 AM
Unfortunately I live in, well, reality!

lol, that was pretty funny. I think getting an entertainment center is a big deal and not to be considered lightly as they are always so expensive, and what you bought probably fits well into your place. with that said, I would consider slightly larger speakers myself. Can you place speakers on stands next to the furniture? that would allow more options I think. if you're set on using the shelves on the unit to squirrel away the speakers and get that nice flush look, the htm's would definitely fit the bill.

excuse me if I skipped over this, but is this more towards listening to tv, movies, or music?

In2Photos
01-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the replies. Here is my current setup in a little more detail.

Currently I am running Eosone RSF600 (dual 8" drivers, front 4" and tweeter, rear 4" and tweeter) towers for L/R set small even though they have dual 8" drivers. This seems to work best for movies and TV, but for music I sometimes switch back to large during extended listening.

My center is a Def Tech C-1. Unfortunately I was unable to obtain a matching Eosone center before they were discontinued. I got a good deal on the Def Tech and it matches OK. This is also set to small.

My sub is an Eosone RSP-910 which is from a sub/satellite pair. It is a 100W 10" sub. Not a tremendous amount of output, much better during music than movies. I am planning on upgrading the sub sometime this year, likely with one if the ID brands (SVS, eD, HSU, or the Rhythmik), but budget is not set yet.

And the rears are also Eosone. Small satellites in the rear corners of the room, placed high (approx 10') due to open floorplan.

My receiver is a Denon AVR-3802. The crossover is set at 80Hz fixed. I have a Denon DVD-2200 DVD-A/SACD player, a Panasonic BD55 Blu-ray player (both are run through a Philips switcher for analog audio), SA 8300 HD DVR, and a Denon DCM-280 CD player.

Our primary listening habits are TV and casual music (60%), movies (30%, although growing slightly since my daughter is approaching 4 years old and likes to watch the Disney stuff with me), and 10% "critical" music listening when I am alone.

The towers flank the entertainment center, the center channel sits on top and the sub is in the corner. I might be moving the sub to under our end table between our couch and love seat, but that would be later down the road when I get the chance to run wires.

Let me respond to everyone's posts now.

I think you've got your feedback, already but just to chime in.

The HTM-200SE is a sealed speaker so it should sound okay in an enclosure. I had mine in an enclosure briefly routing cables (8" tall, 20" wide, 20" deep) and it sounded fine. With my Sierra-1 I had issue in an enclosure because it is a ported design (so I needed to use the foam plugs to cure it's cold which worked beautifully)

In terms of sound quality, I would say the 200's sound to me way better than my previous speakers (old Advents) or my dad's speakers (older JBLs), and most of the speakers I've heard at dinner parties. I also think it sounds much, much better than my last center channel (CSW Newton MC500 ($400)) though that's not saying much. I think it's a very good speaker for it's price and size, especially if you are using a sub...
Thanks for your feedback!

I'm currently using the HTM-200SE as my center channel and I have no complaints. Did you say whether or not you will be using the 200SEs with a subwoofer? I have my speakers crossed over at 80hz and the 200SE doesn't seem to have any trouble keeping up with the Sierra-1 mains during movies and television. Dialogue is very clear and the sound stage up front has impressed me thus far.

However, you'll likely want a subwoofer to fill in the low end if you decide to move away from your tower speakers (that is if you don't already have a sub).

My left surround is a 200SE sitting inside a bookshelf. I have the speaker flush with the front of the shelf and I am frequently startled by the "realness" of some of the surround effects (knocking on doors and such).

I'm pretty sure this speaker was designed with a situation like yours in mind.
Thanks for your feedback. Yep, using a sub now, but need to upgrade as well.

Put the L/R 200's in the vertical spaces on either side. Team the 200s with a killer sub, like one of the Rhythmiks listed here and you'll be fine.

I bought a pair of used 200 classics to test the Ascend sound before springing for a whole outfit. My living room has built in cabinets on either side of the fireplace. I've got Boston Acoustics CR9's on the shelves. I put the 200s next to them to do some A/B testing. With my subwoofer I actually preferred the 200s, even turned up loud!

You'll definately need a sub (notice a theme here?). They aren't designed to go deep. They are great underappreciated little speakers. I say go for it!

Doug
Thanks again Doug. The Rhythmik may be slightly out of my price range for the sub replacement, but is definitely one I will consider. It looks impressive on paper! If not I will likely go with one of the other ID brands that are well respected.

lol, that was pretty funny. I think getting an entertainment center is a big deal and not to be considered lightly as they are always so expensive, and what you bought probably fits well into your place. with that said, I would consider slightly larger speakers myself. Can you place speakers on stands next to the furniture? that would allow more options I think. if you're set on using the shelves on the unit to squirrel away the speakers and get that nice flush look, the htm's would definitely fit the bill.

excuse me if I skipped over this, but is this more towards listening to tv, movies, or music?
Thanks for your feedback.

If I replace my towers I would only do it with something that would fit in the entertainment center. Otherwise I will just keep the towers (unless of course I get a smokin' deal on some nice bookshelves that I like even more than the Eosones!). The plan was to move my towers upstairs into our bonus room that I hope to one day turn into a dedicated theater (we can dream can't we? ;))