PDA

View Full Version : Sierra's wall mounted (updated)

vols98
01-16-2009, 08:52 PM
I've seen a few post with people recommending different wall brackets for wall mounting the Sierra's, but most of the post I have seen were really dated. So I will ask again. I know wall mounting the Sierra's are not really recommended. But it looks like for space reasons I may have to. So what wall brackets would be recommended for this. And how much sound quality will I lose by wall mounting them?

Gov
01-16-2009, 09:28 PM
B-Tech BT77. Is you run small and cross at 80hz, you will be fine

curtis
01-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Since they will be close to the wall....try the Q-plugs.

vols98
01-17-2009, 07:06 AM
So if I use the Q-plugs, then I should not lose any sound quality? I really would hate to spend this much money on good quality speakers and then degrade them by wall mounting. Has anyone run an official test to see the actual sound difference between wall mounting and putting them on speaker stands?

DougMac
01-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Has anyone run an official test to see the actual sound difference between wall mounting and putting them on speaker stands?
The closest thing to an official test is the graphs Dave posted when the plugs were introduced. Take a look at the graphs and you should be able to get an idea of the differences. To me, it looks like you sacrifice bass, but in return you get a more gentle slope (-3db @60hz compared to -3db @40hz, 12db/octave vs 24/db octave). If you're using a good sub, integration with the sub might even be better. This does not, however, address the potential effects on mid and upper frequencies of having the speakers close to the wall. See: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3784

Doug

davef
01-20-2009, 04:50 PM
So if I use the Q-plugs, then I should not lose any sound quality? I really would hate to spend this much money on good quality speakers and then degrade them by wall mounting. Has anyone run an official test to see the actual sound difference between wall mounting and putting them on speaker stands?

The closest thing to an official test is the graphs Dave posted when the plugs were introduced. Take a look at the graphs and you should be able to get an idea of the differences. To me, it looks like you sacrifice bass, but in return you get a more gentle slope (-3db @60hz compared to -3db @40hz, 12db/octave vs 24/db octave). If you're using a good sub, integration with the sub might even be better. This does not, however, address the potential effects on mid and upper frequencies of having the speakers close to the wall. See: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3784

Doug

Actually, below is the specific measurement that should be evaluated

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/ascenduploads/OWSVSQPA.gif

This is the in-room response measurement of a wall-mounted stock Sierra-1 compared with a wall-mounted Sierra-1 with Q-Plug "A" installed.

The key here is the dramatic reduction of the bump in the 40-90Hz range caused by bass reinforcement. Q-Plug "A" is the ideal solution for wall mounting Sierra-1.

azanon
01-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Just for kicks, has anyone graphed a Sierra with a wool sock curled around the inside of the port hole?

Nevermind....