PDA

View Full Version : New Ascend customer

NicolasKL
01-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Just wanted to drop a line and say that I'm very impressed with my HTM-200 SEs. I've heard both the 340s and Sierras previously and since then I've always been a fan of Ascend's abilities and audio philosophy, so I took a bit of a chance (not really, IMO) on the 200s.

This is for my 5.1 PC system, I'm coming from X-LS/X-CS/X-Sub and despite being significantly cheaper and 1/4th (or so) the volume, the 200s don't miss a beat. Obviously they give up a little on the low end to a ported 6.5", but you can't really run either without a sub so who cares? I definitely don't feel like I've lost anything (which I should, really), and I actually think I've picked up a little detail in the upper registers.

I'm listening to them subless right now (sold the entire X system to a friend for his living room, previously I was listening to them with the X-Sub) until my Hsu VTF-1 shows up, and they still sound great (although, obviously, there's no bass :) ).

Need to listen to the Sierras again, I've been thinking about replacing the fronts in my main system, and I'm starting to think that floorstanding full range speakers really don't offer the benefit you think they might and may go with bookshelves and a better subwoofer.

Sam1000
01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
welcome to the forum. 200s are a good little speakers. I have them in my study and I also use another pair for surrounds. How big is your your? Sierras would be a significant upgrade for stereo listening.

rabbit
01-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Another vote for the HTM-200SEs. We play a lot of foreign language movies and it seems to do a really good job getting the speech across clearly (even if we don't actually speak the language :) )

NicolasKL
01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
welcome to the forum. 200s are a good little speakers. I have them in my study and I also use another pair for surrounds. How big is your your? Sierras would be a significant upgrade for stereo listening.

My computer room is probably 10x12. I know the Sierras would be an upgrade to my HTM-200s. Living room is probably 14x20 and completely open to the kitchen. Don't know if the Sierras would be an upgrade to my Infinity Intermezzo 4.1ts. After all, they did have an MSRP of $7,000 ;).

Got my VTF-1 today. Obviously the VTF-1 kicks the poop out of the X-Sub (it should), and I am now very, very happy with my new PC system. I have a shelf above my monitor that previously could only hold the X-CS and a few knicknacks. It now holds my center channel, my receiver, and my printer. Awesome. I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance :)

Only thing that sucks is that I wanted to get away from DLP for a few reasons, so I sold my 61" samsung to the same guy that bought the 5.1 system, and I haven't replaced it yet, so I moved my 37" "computer monitor" to the living room and am PCing on a miserable 22". :) I will say, that going from a 61" tv to a 37" tv isn't THAT painful, but going from 37" to 22" on a computer really sucks. Planning on going with a 52" LCD at a minimum, so at that point, all should be well with the world, but until then I'm really roughing it.

Which is very funny to me considering as recently as 3 years ago I had a 30" TV and a 17" computer monitor.