PDA

View Full Version : Which speaker for surrounds?

pearsall001
01-06-2009, 03:40 PM
I've been eyening up the whole Ascend line for awhile now & I just might be taking the plunge shortly. I really like the CMT-340SE's...L/C/R for my large room (3,000cu') over the Sierra's. The only speaker that has me stumped are the surrounds. They will either be mounted on tall stands right up against the wall or directly on the wall. On the stands the back of the speaker will be up against the wall. From what I've read the 340's need some breathing room & sound like they wouldn't be ideal for that location.

What's your opinion...the 340's, the 170's or the HTM-200's for my situation. I don't listen to a whole lot of surround music. The main use would really be for HT & an occasional DVD video. Thanks.

curtis
01-07-2009, 09:21 AM
If you have to have them up against the wall, HTM-200SE would be the way to go.

DougMac
01-07-2009, 09:53 AM
If you have to have them up against the wall, HTM-200SE would be the way to go.
+1
I have them for my back surrounds. They'll blend well with your 340's and are really pretty awesome little speakers.

Doug

azanon
01-08-2009, 10:17 AM
I'd recommend HTM200's even if you did have space behind them. The only scenario I could see recommending better than HTM200 in the back would be a multi-channel music junkie, meaning lots of DVD-As/SACDs. Besides the cost issue you have the fact that they're smaller and less noticeable.

The DTS/DD5.1 music DVD's I've heard put the lion's share of the audio demand on the front stage, so even in that situation, HTM-200s are fine.