PDA

View Full Version : What changes have you made to your system(s) in 2008?

jvillas
12-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Hi all, seems this past year many Ascend members have made lots of changes to there set-ups. Receivers, amps, preamps speakers, DVD players, etc. etc. Would like to know what changes you have made, and any plans for 2009. Please be as specific as you like. I would particularly like to know what got replaced.

I am a 2 channel guy and made a number of changes to my systems. I will detail them a little later.

curtis
12-28-2008, 07:46 PM
My plan was to get a pre/pro to handle HDMI audio input and the lossless codecs, along with a blu-ray player.

But since I got the blu-ray player for Christmas, and it has 7.1 analog output, I need to rethink what I want to do. The new pre/pro is not as much as a priority now.

My Epson HDTV leaves me wanting new HDTV everytime I set foot in a electronics shop. So a replacement is on my "want" list.

I have around 25 SACD and DVD-A discs, and I have to evaluate what those formats mean to me. If I want to stick with them, I would need something like the new Oppo BD universal player that is due out soon.

The only change I made in 2008 was the Rythmik sub.

drewface
12-28-2008, 08:13 PM
i added an emotiva xpa-5 amplifier to my system, along with a ps3 for bluray and a new 52" lcd since i got my own place now and am no longer using my parents' tv. for 2009, i would like to get a new receiver to replace my yamaha, but lately i've been having an itch to build a nice simple bedroom system. currently looking at an april music aura note with a pair of sierras. if i end up getting this, the new receiver might be put on hold for awhile...

Eddie Horton
12-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Wow, where to start? Since our daughter is now running all over the house and into everything we decided to simplify all the upstairs A/V stuff. We put a 32" flat panel in the master bedroom, a 20" in the kitchen, and just got a 26" for her playroom. About to replace our aging Sony 51" RPTV in the living room with one more flat panel, probably a 52" whenever I find one that really does it for me. I'm leaning toward the LG LCD due to it being RS232 controllable.
Also, scored an Extron 8x4 video/audio matrix switch, so a couple of months ago I moved all the upstairs A/V equipment into an unused small closet and attempted a 4 zone IR distribution setup that never would work right. Went RF for Christmas and it's been great. Rock solid.
Right now, I'm still working on the downstairs theater as time and funds permit. It's going on 2 years, and I'm still not finished. Got a Yamaha receiver and an Onkyo 805 sitting in boxes downstairs along with my Outlaw amps and what's left of my speakers. Sold some, kept some. Upstairs is just going to be TV speakers only and a whole house audio system.
I'm also about to start installing an Elk M1 Gold security/automation system, so that's another project that will no doubt involve a lot of scope creep and additional time on my part that will keep me from finishing the theater any time soon. That's about it. :)

Mag_Neato
12-29-2008, 06:18 AM
Well, for one, everything is now in boxes. Trying to figure out where to set it up in the new house. I did just get a Panasonic BD55 Blu-Ray player. Have it hooked up straight to a 42" Sharp AQUOS running 1080P. Picture looks incredible! The sound is decent for tv speakers, but I can't wait to get the Sierra-1's with my 12" Rythmik sub going.

No big plans for 2009 system-wise, but you never know!

ebh
12-29-2008, 06:36 AM
big changes in 2008. got my sierras, which was a major upgrade. Then near the end of the year, upgraded to a Sherwood a-965 amp and a Yamaha 663 acting as pre-pro (kinda wish I had gotten an Onkyo 805 but was trying to save money while waiting for a dedicated pre-pro). I also damaged my Rocket UFW-10 subwoofer by dropping a Sierra onto it. Also got a PS3 for blu-ray playback, and the HDMI card for my Panny 9UK plasma.

For 2009, I'm planning on a Rythmik sub and maybe a new pre-pro (keeping my eye on emotiva, outlaw and the onkyo 886). Also I'll pick up the sierra port plugs at some point. No other plans at this point. I feel like with the addition of a new sub and maybe pre-pro, my system will be pretty strong. I have thought about an external dac, but that is not a priority right now.

chas
12-29-2008, 07:00 AM
Not much change on the audio end for '08. Switched receivers to a Denon 2808ci.

On the video side I moved to a 50" Panasonic plasma and BD35 blu ray player.

merrymaid520
12-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Well my changes are the addition of the proceed amp & preamp (2CH) for the sierras, a Squeezebox for streamed music, the D-15SE Rythmik sub, replaced my older oppo 970 with the 980, and I think I picked up the PS3(blu-ray) at the beginning of the year or maybe it was the end of 2007:) I also created a 2ch bedroom setup with some 200SE's and a 42" panny plasma and also a pair of the 200SE's in my garage.

I did learn a lot about calibrating and plotting my rooms response. I spent more time with this both in my living room and theater room recently.

I have no updates planned for 2009 other than maybe picking up 3 sierras to replace the 170SE's & 340C SE in my theater room.

Happy New Years to all!

Brandon

DougMac
12-29-2008, 08:27 AM
I started 2008 watching movies on a 27" standard def CRT. I ended 2008 watching movies on a 112" diagonal screen using HD front projection.

I started 2008 with my main audio system consisting of:
10 year old Boston Acoustic CR9's as L/R mains
~25 year old Infinity Qe's as surrounds
23 year old Infinity 10" servo sub
NAD T762 as my AV receiver.
SD Dish satellite and DVD player as inputs.

I ended up 2008 with"
Ascend 340's as front L/C/R
Ascend 170's as side surrounds
Ascend 200's as back surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD as sub.
After using a Panny XR57 for a few months, I'm back to the NAD T762.
HD Dish satellite, DVD player, PS3 (Blu Ray & games) and WII as inputs.

The biggest change, of course, is going from a great room as our viewing/listening area to a dedicated home theater, which I built from the studs up. I had help with the sheet rock and had someone install the suspended ceiling and carpet. Other than that, I did all framing, electrical, audio and plumbing (for the adjacent second kitchen/snack bar) work.

Needless to say, it's been quite a year!

Next year, if things go OK, I plan to upgrade to a new receiver.

Doug

Gov
12-29-2008, 11:20 AM
For me....sold my Pioneer 1014 and Emotiva LPA-1 and replaced it with a Pioneer Elite SC-05. Sold my Mirage omni-S12 and replaced it with an HSU VTF-3 Mk3. Sold my 200's and purchased 200SE's. Added a Panasonic BD30 Blu-ray player to my equipment.
As for 2009, I expect it to be much more quiet :D

DougMac
12-29-2008, 11:30 AM
For me....sold my Pioneer 1014 and Emotiva LPA-1 and replaced it with a Pioneer Elite SC-05.
Can you give us mini review of the SC-05?

Doug

lokimydog
12-29-2008, 01:17 PM
I went from an Onkyo HTIB I bought used on Craigslist to building my first real system.

Onyko 805
340SE's L/C/R and Surround
Hsu VTF-HO recently sold
Dual Hsu ULS-15
PS3

Things I'm looking to add to my system in 09 will be a new 60" lcd and sub eq.

Happy New Year!!!

GameSetMatch
12-29-2008, 03:03 PM
This year I realized that I should upgrade my bedroom system, since I usually end up retreating there at night from the family room for some moments of musical solitude. I upgraded the bedroom front 200SE’s with 170SE’s, and moved the 200’s to the back, replacing some small Cambridge Soundworks wall-mounted surrounds. I’m not sure what made the biggest difference; 170SE’s in the front, or 200SE’s in the back. Either way it sounds great and I’m very happy with it.

For early 2009 I plan on purchasing a Blu-ray player, probably the Panasonic 35 or 55. Since I’m interested in trying DTS or Dolby Master Audio, my dilemma here is whether to use 5.1 analog outputs (Panasonic 55, +$100) to my old-but-good Onkyo receiver, or upgrade the receiver to hdmi audio and pairing with the Panasonic 35. In the later case, I have to start researching receivers… Decisions Decisions!

Best 09 Wishes to All!

jvillas
12-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Wow, everyone has made some great changes, very cool. For me and my 2 channel systems
system 1
amp.- Adcom 5400 125/8, 200/4ohms, changed to Red Dragon Amp1 mono blocks 105/8, 210/4ohms, ice power.
preamp - Audionics circa 1980, changed to Bride of Zen, DIY minimalist based on a Pass design solid state,built by Tim Rawson.
DVD player - For playing CDs only, Pioneer Universal player, changed to Toshiba HDDVD X1A, great cd player, and was very inexpensive.
Loudspeakers - Ascend Acoustics 170se stacked, changed to Energy RC-10s stacked.My Ascends were moved to my 2nd. system
Tuner -Rotel 940ax your basic tuner with presets, and remote.
Loudspeaker stands are Sanus Systems steel foundations 24"H. I'm also using Auralex mopads.
Audioclara interconnects, and signal analog and digital power cords. speaker cable,blue jean beldon 10g
Almost forgot Subwoofer - Psb Alpha subzero 8", held over from when I owned a pair of PSB 25s.
Thats it for system1

Most of the above was bought used, discoed or demoed.
System 2 coming up.

jvillas
12-29-2008, 05:44 PM
System 2 has the most demands placed on it,as it is also connected to my computer. Here is where I watch all my videos and cable tv, listen to lossy and lossless music, My computer can play just about any audio/ video codec out there. Please don't ask me how many players I have on my computer. There are a lot. Currently There is about 650gigs of music mostly lossless files and growing almost daily, an about 300 gigs of video mostly avi files. I am going to start deleting some of my video files. All of these files are kept on external drives. I do not do any gaming. My monitor is 19'.

Amp - Hafler 220, 115/8. 175/4ohms changed to DIY Gainclone (chip amp) about 60+/8, 100+/4 ohms. built by Tim Rawson
Preamp - Adcom 565 changed to DIY Unity Gain B1 minimalist, built by Rawson Here I will sometimes interchange this preamp with a nightshade passive preamp. This passive pre matches up really well with my gainclone.
CD Player - Oppo 970 changed to Toshiba HDDVD A1. Same great sound as XA1 for playing cds
Loudspeakers - PSB B25s changed to Ascends 170ses stacked
Loudspeaker stands Sanus, wood/ metal 30'H
Interconnects are DIY custom made locally. I found him on ebay. Signal power cords Speaker cable purchased here from Ascend Acoustics. No sub woofer connected. Will probably move the sub woofer from system 1 to here at some point.

The quality of sound this system is asked to reproduce can be at times very poor like playing something on utube, as well as outstanding as in lossless music files. It is at its very best, and no less satisfying than system 1, when I shut down the computer and throw on a cd.

bdfin
12-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Well after several attempts to justify getting a new receiver with the " extras " etc. I squashed that plan and bought 4 sierras to replace other speakers that I felt were decent ......but.... if I had 10 sierrras it would probably still not be enough because I have the dreaded more speaker disease...........http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
I am very happy with that decision as it made more of a difference than the receiver would have made and they sound wonderful. I am watching less TV and movies but still enjoy good HT but do not feel the need to upgrade that so much. It is not blue ray quality but for the amount I watch at this point its good enough and would rather spend $ elsewhere for now. For 2009 the only thing probably for sure at some point would be a sierra--1 center to replace the PSB doing that duty now.........but you never know.

----------------------------------------------------
Good ole Marantz 7200 110x6
Sub HSU VTF-2 MK3
Front LR Sierra-1 ( 4 )
Rear LR Homebuilt JBL 2 way ( 6 -12's in 4 cabinents )
Center PSB Century 300i
Surrounds PSB Alpha
Oppo DV-970HD DVD player
Mac dual gig wind tunnel tower
w/ itunes library in Apple Lossless, AAC and other random MP3's
playstation 2 for my madden football fix.....
Samsung 32" LCD

Gov
12-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Can you give us mini review of the SC-05?

Doug

Sure....I find it very netrual, accurate and punchy much like the Ascend speakers. It is very powerful and needs no additional amplification running my Ascend 340's and 200's. It has plenty of features and looks very pretty! I like the fact that it passes HDMI straight through (no processing). The automatic speaker calibration system (MCACC) is at the top of its game with the SC receivers. Its light years better than on my VSX-1014tx. It also decodes the latest codecs. And it seems like the SC receivers appear to be bug free and no need for firmware upgrades. I think Pioneer has really hit a home run with these units.

http://ultimateavmag.com/avreceivers/pioneer_elite_sc-05_av_receiver/index.html

jvillas
12-30-2008, 06:25 PM
For 2009, well I'm sort of waiting to see what davefs next bamboo offering is going to be. I have seen others request MTM or floorstanders in bamboo. I'm thinking mini monitors in bamboo. I am also aware that Dave is a perfectionist and his next offering may be a long way off, possibly beyond 2009. That would be ok by me. I'll just have to waite and see.

For 2009 a subwoofer is something I'll be looking into. The Rhythmik subwoofers are no doubt very very good subwoofers. They are just not what I am looking for. I very likely will be seeking something smaller with less extension, and less powerful. Currently I use my subwoofer very lightly, and sparingly, but still feel it is crucial for a full musical experience, and enjoyment.

Not certain about this, it has been 30years since I've owned a tube preamp. So I may reintroduce myself again. Of course I will look in the used market if I decide to go for it.

Thats it for me. Happy New Year!!!

Gov
12-30-2008, 07:01 PM
For 2009, well I'm sort of waiting to see what davefs next bamboo offering is going to be. I have seen others request MTM or floorstanders in bamboo. I'm thinking mini monitors in bamboo. I am also aware that Dave is a perfectionist and his next offering may be a long way off, possibly beyond 2009. That would be ok by me. I'll just have to waite and see.

For 2009 a subwoofer is something I'll be looking into. The Rhythmik subwoofers are no doubt very very good subwoofers. They are just not what I am looking for. I very likely will be seeking something smaller with less extension, and less powerful. Currently I use my subwoofer very lightly, and sparingly, but still feel it is crucial for a full musical experience, and enjoyment.

Not certain about this, it has been 30years since I've owned a tube preamp. So I may reintroduce myself again. Of course I will look in the used market if I decide to go for it.

Thats it for me. Happy New Year!!!

Well, SVS currently makes a sub right up your alley.

picasso
12-31-2008, 06:06 AM
2008 I replaced a 42in Sony Plasma with a 46in Sony XBR4 LCD and gave the plasma to my ex-wife and kids. Also added a PS3 for BluRay.

2009 will bring a new Pre/Pro (Center channel periodically malfunctions in current Outlaw 1050) with most probably Outlaws forthcoming new processor. I want to demo "Ice Power" amplification to see if I might want to exchange a Lexicon 5 channel amp.

I'm also thinking of the new credenza style audio/video stands. If I can find the right one, I can eliminate my speaker stands, component rack and current tv stand with a nice looking piece of furniture.

Thhhhhat's All Folks

Happy New Year

leon55
12-31-2008, 12:19 PM

For music you could try to find a Velodyne cht-8, I find it works well for music.

I have redone everything this year, I bought Revel C-30 center, L/R Revel M22's, I kept the Ascend 170se's, purchased Onkyo 805, Acurus 200x3 amp, Velodyne cht-8 sub, eD A5-350sub, kept Hsu stf-2 sub, Sony bd350 Blu-Ray. OMG, I hope my wife never finds the bills for these. I'm afraid to ask for a SOny 52" 1080 p hdtv. This fever is gonna kill me yet. UPGRADEITIS.

curtis
12-31-2008, 01:11 PM
I have redone everything this year, I bought Revel C-30 center, L/R Revel M22's....
What made you go with the Revels? Did you try the Sierra?

leon55
12-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Hey Curtis, I did try the Sierra's, but I only kept them for 2 weeks. In their defense, I didn't have them long enough to break them in. At the time I had an Emotiva lpa-1 amp and I couldn't tell that much difference between the 340'se's and the Sierra's, especially for movies. I decided to keep the 340'se. Then I caught this terrible disease. Yea, that word again. Next thing I know I ordered the Revels. I really like the M22's, they remind me of the Sierra's as far as size. They sound good with the 170se's also. And the C30 is a monster center, 3 way. Until I get the bug again I will probably stick with these for awhile.

curtis
12-31-2008, 01:49 PM
That "bug"......a terrible thing. :)

I really want to hear a pair of Revel M22's. When Microsoft was promoting HD-DVD, their demo truck was outfitted with all Revel speakers and subs....sounded great.

leon55
12-31-2008, 02:10 PM
That "bug"......a terrible thing. :)

I really want to hear a pair of Revel M22's. When Microsoft was promoting HD-DVD, their demo truck was outfitted with all Revel speakers and subs....sounded great.

You owe it to yourself to listen to a pair. You should have a dealer somewhere close to you. I would love to hear your impressions.

curtis
12-31-2008, 02:14 PM
I am trying not to set foot in A/V shops right now. Everytime I do, I want a new TV. :)

tntbigman23
12-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi all.
First off, all the best for the New Year. Hope we all see better economic times.
Well, for starters, I purchased my first HT set of speakers in Janurary (2 pairs JBL Stadiums) and for a short while it was good.
Bought a Epik Tower Sub in May for the LF. Could not be more happier with the low end repsonse. A very impressive and more than capable sub in a 5300cu ft room.
In August, purchased a Pioneer 1018AH reciever for the features at that price point. This made me realize that the JBL's were not very musical but the HT was ok.
Been shopping around since then for a good 5.1 setup and after months of reading reviews and keeping up with feedback, Ascend topped my list. Partly due to Tower owners being impressed with their speakers. Got the front L/C/R 340se as a demo set in December and have been throughly happy with their HT and music response. I was re-discovering all my favorite cds and dvds again.
Possible changes for next year? A BR player for sure. The 340 I think are excellent as is. "Do the Sierras really top them?"
Option 1: Add the 170 as surrounds.
Option 2: Sierra fronts with current 340 as surrounds.
Option 3: A complete 5.1 Sierra setup.

Right now option 2 seems highly probable. :D

Ben_Wood
01-01-2009, 05:52 PM
I've gotten back into vinyl, buying a Rega P1 with glass platter upgrade. I also replaced the stock Ortofon cartridge with an Audio Technica AT440MLa. On the digital side I bought a Cambridge Audio 640C v.2 cd player. I've been extremely pleased with these additions.

curtis
01-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Ben Wood!!! Ben's post/review of Ascend speakers on a now defunked forum is the reason I started investigating/researching Ascend Acoustics speakers.

milkfat
01-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I decided to upgrade my system. I've been using Altec Lansing 2100 computer speakers in my setup since I bought them in college ($50). Finally I get to step up from those 1" mains and 4" subwoofer drivers (although the sub does have 2 drivers... so it hits pretty hard).

After nearly blowing my mind researching the different speakers and companies (and reading about plenty of others in the exact same position) I decided that I really couldn't make a bad choice. All I needed to do was make a choice.

So... I decided on:

Marantz sr5003 receiver
Sierra 1 Mains
HTM-200se center and L/R surrounds
D15-SE subwoofer

Marantz because of sound quality, 1080p upconversion, audyssey, pre-outs, and a great deal on a refurbished unit.

Sierras because I listen to 2 channel music and don't want to get into "upgraditis." I blew my budget slightly to get them, but with the b-stock deals and holiday sales I couldn't resist.

200s for HT, easy placement, and small price. I figure I'll upgrade to Sierras if I ever get into 5.1 music or am unhappy with the center (which I don't think I will be).

D15 sub because of sound-quality, low frequency extension, and price-point... and bass is sexy.

All of my decisions were based entirely on forum posts and user reviews (and of course my own requirements). I don't expect to use it, but the 30 day return policy made it easy to take the plunge. I'm going to be a teensy bit irritated if I don't like the new setup more than the Altec 2100s. The Ascends were ordered today. Excitement!

All of my "quality" listening so far has been through a pair of studio monitors connected to my computer via an external audio device. It'll be fun to have something to compare.

GrahamMc
01-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Well, I've made quite a few changes in the past year or so. I sold my Ascends and replaced them with a full set of Totem Acoustics speakers. I kept them for several months, but just wasn't quite pleased with them. Detail was nice, but they just weren't "full" enough for my tastes. SO, I sold the Totems to my dad, worked a deal with the guy I sold the Ascends to, and bought them back! (he loved them, but was moving into an apartment.) I actually even bought them back for less than he paid me! Then, a couple of months ago, I bought a new house with a mother-in-law suite that became my theater. In December, I upgraded from 340s across the front and 2 170s for rears to 340s across the front, 340s for surrounds and 170s for surround back. I'm not quite done with the room and already, I'm LOVING it!

Panasonic PT-AE900U
106" 16:9 Dragonfly screen
Onkyo 605 Receiver
7 Ascend Speakers
Hsu Stf-2 Sub
PS3
XBox 360
Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD Player

Hope you all have a Happy New Year!

Graham

Mike^S
01-01-2009, 11:06 PM
GrahamMc, if you like the Ascend sound but want more detail, you should try the Sierras.

GrahamMc
01-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks, Mike! I'm working my way up. :) I originally ordered 5 170s from Dave almost 5 years ago. Then I added a 6th, and then a 7th. A couple of years later, I traded 4 170s for 2 340s. After I sold and then rebought my Ascends, I upgraded the center to a 340. Now, just 6 months or so later, I've bought 2 more 340s. :) It's an ongoing process as we all know! I'm sure I'll end up with a pair of Sierras down the road to replace the front L/R, they'll replace the 170s in surround back positions, etc, etc.... I love Dave for making great speakers, but I'm not sure my wife does!!!

Tushar
01-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Spent $6000 in 2007 (LCD, DVD, 5x Ascend speakers, sub, cables).
Spent $600 in 2008 (Denon 988 receiver).
To follow that trend I'll keep it around $60 in 2009.

Thankfully the Sierra-1 port plugs came out which match that budget quite nicely!

BGHD
02-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Added a ps3.

chicubs
02-18-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm a noob finally starting to get things right, looking for a bit of advice too :rolleyes:
Added
CBM-170 SE center
HK AVR-254
Mirage Omni Sub

Still the same :(
Fluance Towers & Surrounds

My quick question is this. Do you think I should round out the fronts with
CMT 340 SEs, or CBM-170 SEs? I went with the CBM-170 SE for a center due to size. Would the CMTs drown out the center? If any of you have tried the 170 center with 340 fronts let me know!

scape
02-18-2009, 10:56 AM
In 2008 I got a...

yamaha ytf 10" sub
center ascend 340se
L and R ascend 170se
denon 1909
Panasonic 42" plasma
a sony dvd player

and gave away my...
jbl 82's
techniqs 50w 2ch amp
yamaha 10 band EQ 2ch

for 2009 I hope to push back the 170's and put something shiny upfront, that's about it

scape
02-18-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm a noob finally starting to get things right, looking for a bit of advice too :rolleyes:
Added
CBM-170 SE center
HK AVR-254
Mirage Omni Sub

Still the same :(
Fluance Towers & Surrounds

My quick question is this. Do you think I should round out the fronts with
CMT 340 SEs, or CBM-170 SEs? I went with the CBM-170 SE for a center due to size. Would the CMTs drown out the center? If any of you have tried the 170 center with 340 fronts let me know!

the hk would compensate Im pretty sure. and they are timber matched to my knowledge, so it would sound pretty good I bet. just note that the 340's go down to 80hz a bit more easily than the 170, but I don't think you'd notice a difference for the most part having the sub integrated

Rÿche 1
02-18-2009, 12:26 PM
I replaced my Athena F2's with Sierra's across the front...I added the 170's for surround...I also purchased three H/K PA2000 amps to power the Ascends...I currently run the amps off a H/K AVR3550HD receiver preouts, but i'm looking at adding the Onkyo PR-SC886P preamp...Oh, and I also sold both of my Bic Acoustech H-100 subs, and added a Rhythmik D15SE...I eventually plan to add another D15SE, too

I also added a Velodyne SMS-1 for eq'ing the sub...

Mag_Neato
02-18-2009, 12:51 PM
I replaced my Athena F2's with Sierra's across the front...I added the 170's for surround...I also purchased three H/K PA2000 amps to power the Ascends...I currently run the amps off a H/K AVR3550HD receiver preouts, but i'm looking at adding the Onkyo PR-SC886P preamp...Oh, and I also sold both of my Bic Acoustech H-100 subs, and added a Rhythmik D15SE...I eventually plan to add another D15SE, too

I also added a Velodyne SMS-1 for eq'ing the sub...

And the so-called "experts" say we are in a depression. Yeah......right!:D

Bill Mac
02-18-2009, 07:28 PM
And the so-called "experts" say we are in a depression. Yeah......right!:D

Didn't you hear that part of the stimulus package goes directly to Ascend customers in the form of a tax break:D.

Bill

Down
02-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Late to the thread, but I'll jump in-

Replaced 55" Mits CRT RPTV with a 720P projector and 110" screen
Added a 340C to my 170 LR's
Replaced my Pio 1014 with a 1018
Replaced my old Oppo 970 waith a Panny 35 BD player
Replaced my PB10 with an MFW 15

2009 holds another MFW and acoustical treatments.

chas
02-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Late to the thread, but I'll jump in-

Replaced 55" Mits CRT RPTV with a 720P projector and 110" screen
Added a 340C to my 170 LR's
Replaced my Pio 1014 with a 1018
Replaced my old Oppo 970 waith a Panny 35 BD player
Replaced my PB10 with an MFW 15

2009 holds another MFW and acoustical treatments.

How does that VSX-1018 compare to your old 1014?

Down
02-26-2009, 11:19 AM
How does that VSX-1018 compare to your old 1014?

Honestly?

Not much of a difference at all. I was very pleased with the 1014, only upgraded for HDMI switching and HD audio processing.

The blue light's look nicer too though:p

tntbigman23
05-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Bought the Pioneer BDP 51 bluray player. Aside from the excellent picture and sound quality of BDs and DVDs, the CD playback on this thing is amazing. I'm loving the sound of it with my 340s. Looking to add a second sub now :D .

Sam1000
05-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Bought the Pioneer BDP 51 bluray player. Aside from the excellent picture and sound quality of BDs and DVDs, the CD playback on this thing is amazing. I'm loving the sound of it with my 340s. Looking to add a second sub now :D .

Are you using analog outs for the CD playback?

caveman
05-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Between this year and last year, I've slowly rotated out my Parasound HCA 855A with a twin pair of HK Citation 7.1 4/3/2 channel amplifiers.The Parasound is a good amplifier, just not a noticable improvement over the amp section in my HK 240.I have been lucky enough to find 2 in excellent condition.The sound from these is amazing, and bring out the best in my 340/170/VTF3 MK3 setup.Front end electronics later.If I sell the Parasound it may go towards another pre-pro or reciever (AVR 254/354.......3550hd if price were no object,and it is.)The amps hurt a little bit....pocket book and my back, but these are definitely keepers.For now my audio budget is at it's limit.