PDA

View Full Version : integrated amp around $500 for Ascend 340SEs?

Beuby
12-16-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm sure that an HK receiver would suit me well but I have an integrated amp in mind. I had an Onkyo 9555 (class D) and could not box it up fast enough and return it (It's possible that it was defective). My XR55 was superior to my ears.

So, any suggestions? I have the Outlaw RR2150
Rotel 1062, Cambridge 540v2 and Marantz PM7001 on my mind currently; however, I seem to value clarity and smoothness vs. punch and I'm guessing that the Marantz, for example, would be a little warm-sounding.

Mag_Neato
12-16-2008, 10:05 AM
The Outlaw is $699. It gets high marks from it's owners. If you are going to use a sub you need to determine the best way to hook one up, since you most likely will not have bass management like an AVR provides.

If you find an integrated with pre-outs/main-ins jumpers, you could install a sub thruogh that using the subs internal crossover, provided it has the capability to hi/low pass the signal.

Quinn
12-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Look at used on audiogon. I have an Audio Refinement Complete integrated and love it. http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1234478198&/Audio-Refinement-Complete-Alph

Beuby
12-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the replies-- I wasn't familier with Audio Refinement and, actually, that listing that you linked to is from a shop that's only 1/2 hour away from me.

As for the RR2150, yes, that's sort of an absolute ceiling and the product I had in mind before I wound up with the XR55. I recall a few grumblings about quality when that model debuted but haven't heard anything lately.

Quinn
12-16-2008, 11:41 AM
There are plenty of other respected used integrate amps on audiogon that are worth a look.

Beuby
12-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Shoot, might increase the budget a bit-- I just read a few reviews of the NAD 372, street price $799 though I doubt that the 340s need the juice for my listening levels. The madness never ends, does it?

Gov
12-16-2008, 07:40 PM
IMHO the 340's do not need a separate amplifier unless you use a dedicated processor. All the mid-priced A/V receivers and up will power them with ease.

Quinn
12-17-2008, 03:15 AM
Shoot, might increase the budget a bit-- I just read a few reviews of the NAD 372, street price $799 though I doubt that the 340s need the juice for my listening levels. The madness never ends, does it?

Don't get too caught up in wattage. It takes doubling the watts for every 3dB increase in volume. A 150 watt amp can only go 4.5 dB louder than a 50 watt amp. Most people can't hear volume changes of less than 2 dBs.

Beuby
12-17-2008, 06:49 AM
It's not so much wattage that has me interested vs. the promise (illusion?) of better components, more neutral characteristics, etc.

I'm eager to audition the Rotel 1062, also a little out of budget. I've read about the British "forward" sound that might be what I'm after.

debo
12-17-2008, 05:01 PM
I have owned different Rotel receivers and amps and I really like their products. I don't think of their sound as "forward" but more neutral and detailed. I have a RSX-1056 for my HT and when I play a CD in 2 channel full range I really can't tell the difference between this and the intergrated amp setup. I would go out and take a listen.

Beuby
12-18-2008, 06:36 AM
I have owned different Rotel receivers and amps and I really like their products. I don't think of their sound as "forward" but more neutral and detailed. I have a RSX-1056 for my HT and when I play a CD in 2 channel full range I really can't tell the difference between this and the intergrated amp setup. I would go out and take a listen.

I think the Rotel 1062, by the reviews and comments that I've read, would most approximate the "signature" of the XR55 and, at the same time, add a bit of depth. I've heard that build quality is excellent and, as a bonus, aesthetically the 1062 is pleasing. No dealers in about a 75 mile radius of me have one to demo but I'll be away on business soon and will seek out a shop in that area. I'll stop being a pest now :)

Beuby
12-30-2008, 04:48 PM
I just picked up a Virtue TWO from Virtue Audio, an evolution of the "T" amp. I'm not certain if this will satiate my desire for "pure" sound but will post impressions for the curious after I have one in hand...