PDA

View Full Version : Hmm.. Sierra-1 floorstander?

jephdood
12-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Just an idea, not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere already.

How about a Sierra-1.. extended in length as a small floorstander with the same actual driver enclosure space as the existing bookshelf, but with the added separate lower area being a large volume mass-fillable chamber?

Or, maybe offer a separate fillable enclosure box in the same size, shape, and finishes as the Sierra-1.. a "pedestal".. like what's offered for the 340SE's.

No design changes would be needed for the Sierra-1.. just added manufacturing cost for the larger or additional enclosures, and the shipping that goes along with that.

I'd pay 2-3 more bills to avoid using stands and have an extremely sturdy sand-filled enclosure.

curtis
12-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Or, maybe offer a separate fillable enclosure box in the same size, shape, and finishes as the Sierra-1.. a "pedestal".. like what's offered for the 340SE's.
Not exactly what you are asking for, but check out this thread:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=2655

:)

http://changpics.smugmug.com/photos/195739210_b3EgZ-M.jpg

dallas
12-08-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm imagining a paino black stand coming down from my s-1's with the same width and length. My media room would look like a meeting of the 2001 space odysey obelisks :)

Hello Dave. :eek:

DavidD
12-08-2008, 08:25 PM

How about a Sierra-1.. extended in length as a small floorstander with the same actual driver enclosure space as the existing bookshelf, but with the added separate lower area being a large volume mass-fillable chamber?

No design changes would be needed for the Sierra-1.. just added manufacturing cost for the larger or additional enclosures, and the shipping that goes along with that.

I'd pay 2-3 more bills to avoid using stands and have an extremely sturdy sand-filled enclosure.

I'd be very tempted by the floorstander as described. Great idea.

DaveHo
12-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Still patiently waiting for the M-T-M version of the Sierra. Floorstander or monitor with matching PB 340 style stand please.

-Dave

Mag_Neato
12-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't an MTM design go against the principles of the Sierra philosophy? The OPPIX crossover is tailored for a two way design to give it point-source like imaging and dispersion. An MTM limits vertical dispersion doesn't it?

I don't know, just my thoughts. Perhaps Dave could elaborate on this with a little more expertise:o

ojready
12-09-2008, 02:13 PM
what's MTM?

GirgleMirt
12-09-2008, 03:00 PM
MTM is Mid Tweeter Mid like the 340SE, a tweeter between two woofers, also known as D'Appolito array. The 170SE/340SE in contrast are 2 way speakers.

davef
12-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't an MTM design go against the principles of the Sierra philosophy? The OPPIX crossover is tailored for a two way design to give it point-source like imaging and dispersion. An MTM limits vertical dispersion doesn't it?

I don't know, just my thoughts. Perhaps Dave could elaborate on this with a little more expertise:o

A D'Appolito array would not be appropriate for the Sierra-1. However there are other MTM crossover and driver spacing techniques that could adapt themselves to OPPIX...

davef
12-09-2008, 11:03 PM

It is a good idea but the problem is that it would be a LOT more than 2-3 more bills. It would require a lot more bamboo, 3 times as much. I would estimate that would translate to an additional retail cost of nearly $800. $800 more for the same performance? It would not sell at this price. Bamboo has become extremely expensive, but I will say I am working on some options. :)

jephdood
12-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Sounds like bamboo, then, isn't very good for margins to begin with. :p

curtis
12-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Guess that tells how Dave feels about performance vs margins.

Great product for an honest price.:)

jephdood
12-09-2008, 11:57 PM
The finish materials don't have anything to do with performance. :)

I've heard great things about the Sierra-1, though, and hope to try a pair some day.

curtis
12-10-2008, 12:08 AM

I've heard great things about the Sierra-1, though, and hope to try a pair some day.
The bamboo is not a finishing material, it is not a veneer....the cabinet is made of bamboo, not MDF.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=22500&postcount=1
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1tech.html

jephdood
12-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Ah, I stand corrected. Didn't know that. Is there a reason the structure itself is bamboo? No wonder it's so expensive.

I'd have to imagine that the black lacquer finish wouldn't be too much more to implement in a larger cabinet.

I wonder if other finishes have ever been considered? I mean, not getting crazy, but expand the choices a couple more? Lots of relatively inexpensive good looking veneers out there..

davef
12-10-2008, 12:13 AM

Hi Jep,

The cabinet material is being discussed - not the finish material. The only finish material on the Sierra-1 is either paint + clear coat (on the piano black) or clear coat only (natural). Cabinet material has a tremendous influence on performance.

davef
12-10-2008, 12:15 AM

Ha -- it is a wonder material for everything -but- margins :p

curtis
12-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Ah, I stand corrected. Didn't know that. Is there a reason the structure itself is bamboo? No wonder it's so expensive.

The benefits are in the links I posted.

davef
12-10-2008, 01:12 AM
I'd have to imagine that the black lacquer finish wouldn't be too much more to implement in a larger cabinet.

The cabinet of the piano black Sierra-1 are also made of laminated bamboo :D

chas
12-10-2008, 03:55 AM
A D'Appolito array would not be appropriate for the Sierra-1. However there are other MTM crossover and driver spacing techniques that could adapt themselves to OPPIX...

Like the HTM-200 driver spacing?

merrymaid520
12-10-2008, 05:45 AM
It is a good idea but the problem is that it would be a LOT more than 2-3 more bills. It would require a lot more bamboo, 3 times as much. I would estimate that would translate to an additional retail cost of nearly $800. $800 more for the same performance? It would not sell at this price. Bamboo has become extremely expensive, but I will say I am working on some options. :)

I understand the part above that just simply making the entire stand for the current sierra out of bamboo will not effect performance, but just adds cost & asthetic value. I am curious what are all the benefits that can be achieved by actually making a full blown sierra tower(not stand) in theory? Would it simply mean more output, less distortion, and improved bass response? Anything else that can be gained with an all bamboo floorstander?

Just curious.....

Thanks!
Brandon

eRob
12-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Kinda off topic but what about a Sierra-1 made out of MDF like the CBM-170 SE? Since the bamboo is costing so much maybe you could sell the MDF model at half the price. =)

merrymaid520
12-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Rob,

I believe eliminating the bamboo enclosure would stray from Dave's design goals on the sierras as in reducing cabinet resonances & etc. I am sure either he or curtis can chime in, but In my mind, the bamboo enclosure makes this speaker what it is:)

The bass coming from this little bookshelf is very impressive. I think to save money over the sierra, just buy the 340SE(which I have also owned and they too sound excellent).

davef
12-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Like the HTM-200 driver spacing?

Yes - this could be an option but you would lose (only slightly) symmetrical horizontal dispersion.

jephdood
12-12-2008, 01:03 AM
To steal a pic from another thread:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/bbriesath/IMG_3901.jpg

That looks hot.

How 'bout doing some of those bases in piano black, Dave? :cool:

DaveHo
12-12-2008, 06:29 AM
To steal a pic from another thread:

That looks hot.

How 'bout doing some of those bases in piano black, Dave? :cool:

+1

That would certainly be killer in the looks department.

I think it was brought up before that it would be possible to get them in raw MDF. The buyer would then be responsible for having them painted. It would be nice if they could be made available in PB directly from Ascend. Any possibility of that Dave? Cost?

nguay
12-15-2008, 12:11 PM
I think a full on floorstander with a bamboo cabinet would be awesome. I was a proponent of this when I first heard news of the Sierra. The properties of the bamboo cabinent, aside from price, seem perfect for this.