PDA

View Full Version : A Question of improvement

buddhadas
11-25-2008, 10:33 AM
I have had the Sierra's running on my 2 channel vintage McIntosh for a year or so. Obviously, no sub. I am trying to justify the cost of the rhythmik sub. Knowing how Dave seems to care so much about sound, and quality, it seems natural that he highly endorses these subs. I just can't figure out if a thousand dollars for a sub will improve my sound by a thousand dollars. If i was going to use it for both music, and ht, this would be an easier decision.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Peace,

Jim

azanon
11-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Do you mean your receiver? (being mcintosh). I"d be more interested in what your mains are. If your mains are $500/pair or more, I think that rythmik would make sense. Otherwise, I'd start with improving the mains first (or lowering your standards on the sub). I think that so far, Ascend only has the Sierra's sub, with maybe an exception for a near, pure home-theater setup where an expensive sub + modest mains might make sense.

curtis
11-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Jim....that is a tough question because of perceived value. A $1000 improvment to one person may not be a $1000 improvment to another.

Sam1000
11-25-2008, 11:22 AM
I have had the Sierra's running on my 2 channel vintage McIntosh for a year or so. Obviously, no sub. I am trying to justify the cost of the rhythmik sub. Knowing how Dave seems to care so much about sound, and quality, it seems natural that he highly endorses these subs. I just can't figure out if a thousand dollars for a sub will improve my sound by a thousand dollars. If i was going to use it for both music, and ht, this would be an easier decision.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Peace,

Jim

I have been in a similar situation. I do use sub for HT (Mirage S12), but for music, I mostly use 2 Ch mode with Sierra.

What kind of music do you listen to? I listen to mostly Jazz, and the upright bass is produced really well by Sierra. On the other hand I played an SACD containing Organ music the other day and the sub was needed. But I rarely play that music except for demoing purpose..

buddhadas
11-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Aznon- The McIntosh are separates not a receiver. The mains are the Sierra's.

Curtis- believe me, I know how subjective the question is.

Sam1000- I am right there with you, the Sierra's do a fine job of producing bass by themselves. I listen to mostly Blues Jazz, and old rock. Being the old goat that I am, I really enjoy 2 channel when it comes to music. I am not sure if I am ready to jump to 2.1. Besides, I have a very nice HT setup which already utilizes a sub. i am just now getting more used to and liking concert dvd's.
I may just have to mull this one over for a little bit longer.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Jim

bdfin
11-25-2008, 03:46 PM
I struggled with that one for a while too. I settled on an HSU sub for 500. and felt that was enough. I myself would find another use for the other 500 bucks..... but thats me. To others 1000. or more for a sub(s) is just part of the essentials for their setup. There are times when the sub ( I listen to more music than HT ) does add a fair amount especially to cuts with a Hammond B3 where it's down there low enough that the feel of the sub adds to the sound and makes it more " real " to me.....but again thats just me. You could probably pick up a used one, and sell it for close to what you paid for it after trying it out for a while, THEN you'll know if you want more.

dallas
11-25-2008, 06:02 PM
I spent closer to 1500, the way I justify it is years divided by cost.

If I buy something that is truly good, has a long warranty, it's a pretty fair assumption I (and everyone is different) won't upgrade for 10+ years. With that mindset, 1000 bucks isn't a bad price.

To me this is very much like buying a matress, something I will use everyday for a decade or more. Some people change subs like they change undepants, I prefer to buy once, be done with it.

buddhadas
11-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks dallas!

That is pretty much how I think as well. I would love to hear this setup first, but I don't know of anyone in my neck of the woods with the Sierra's and rhythmik.