PDA

View Full Version : What about the sealed Sierra-1?

Sam1000
11-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi Dave,
There was a lot of interest on AVS after you mentioned that you are working on an option to plug the port for Sierra-1. Is this a good time to discuss that here? How would it affect the SQ? I have some interest in that option as well to compare the SQ at home. Would you be publishing the measurement after plugging the port?

davef
11-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi Dave,
There was a lot of interest on AVS after you mentioned that you are working on an option to plug the port for Sierra-1. Is this a good time to discuss that here? How would it affect the SQ? I have some interest in that option as well to compare the SQ at home. Would you be publishing the measurement after plugging the port?

Hi Sam,

I hope to be able to provide full details of this exciting enhancement in about 3 weeks :)

Take care!

GirgleMirt
11-07-2008, 04:30 AM
uh oh...

Harry
11-07-2008, 06:43 AM
Does that mean they can be placed up against a wall or in a wall?:D

drewface
11-07-2008, 07:45 AM
uh oh...+1:eek:

buddhadas
11-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
uh oh...
+1
+2...I love options.:D

Mike^S
11-07-2008, 06:50 PM
This sounds very interesting. I wonder what the benefits will be for someone running a high quality sub like myself. Perhaps even more detailed midbass and higher output capability in the lower midrange? I actually have my center channel already plugged up because it's inside my TV stand and it sounded a little boomy in there.

jvillas
11-09-2008, 08:09 PM
A port plug should allow the Sierras to be placed much closer to the back wall providing greater placement flexibility overall.This is a great benefit. Although my understanding plugs will likely limit the low bass extension. On the other hand bass performance may get tighter, and rolloff smoother. I wonder since ports are tuned and port plugs do not completely seal the port whether Dave will offer different plug densities for the Sierras. Whether to use plugs or not is of course is up to each individual situation. Port plugs for the Sierras is a really good option.

DaveHo
11-10-2008, 05:41 AM
FWIW, the 170 classics I use for side surrounds have their ports plugged. I needed to mount them flush to the wall to maximize walkway clearance. The plugs are made from 2" thick foam rubber which was cut from a larger sheet using a piece of sharpened PVC pipe.

As far as the sound goes, with them crossed over @ 80Hz I really can't hear any difference. Given this is side surround duty, but I also listen to a lot of multi-channel music as well I they sound great to me.

-Dave

ccotenj
11-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi Sam,

I hope to be able to provide full details of this exciting enhancement in about 3 weeks :)

Take care!

tick... tick... tick... :D

don't forget those of us who "pre-ordered"... ;)

davef
11-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Does that mean they can be placed up against a wall or in a wall?:D

Yep :)

Harry
11-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Cool,
I'm in for a LRC.
Just tell me when.

Roger Weiner
11-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Just wondering weather the solution is for specifically designed plugs to block the ports on the Sierras and weather the plugs will be sent automatically to those who made purchases within the past 30 days or so?

ironmike86
11-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Anything new information yet?

davef
11-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Anything new information yet?

At this point, I am hoping for a mid December delivery (estimate 3 to 3 1/2 weeks from today).

I am in the process of documenting measurements etc. Once I have a confirmed delivery date, I will post all information on the forum. I am excited about this :) Preliminary reports from beta testers have been very good.

azanon
11-28-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm going to be rebuilding my entertainment center soon, so what do I need to do to avoid having to get the sealed variant, while maximizing the conditions for the ported version? For instance, would it be better to build a "4-way" bookshelf with plenty of depth and room on the sides for a Sierra-1 center, or would I be better off with simply a shelf or platform with the other sides completely open - acoustically speaking.

davef
12-02-2008, 12:42 AM
I'm going to be rebuilding my entertainment center soon, so what do I need to do to avoid having to get the sealed variant, while maximizing the conditions for the ported version? For instance, would it be better to build a "4-way" bookshelf with plenty of depth and room on the sides for a Sierra-1 center, or would I be better off with simply a shelf or platform with the other sides completely open - acoustically speaking.

AZ,

The more open the bookcase enclosure, the better :)

Mag_Neato
12-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Dave, does the sealed Sierra-1 option improve the overall performance when paired with a Rythmik sub? I know Brian Ding has mentioned that when a ported speaker is paired with a sealed sub that certain factors have to be compensated for, such as the distance setting being set further on the sub, and i think phase was an issue as well.

Mag_Neato
12-03-2008, 06:22 AM
Dave, does the sealed Sierra-1 option improve the overall performance when paired with a Rythmik sub? I know Brian Ding has mentioned that when a ported speaker is paired with a sealed sub that certain factors have to be compensated for, such as the distance setting being set further on the sub, and i think phase was an issue as well.

Dave?:confused:

davef
12-03-2008, 10:56 PM

Hi Mag,

Sorry I missed this!

I have never mentioned a "Sealed" Sierra-1 option ;) I am doing something slightly different...

But to answer your question, yes -- I would say that when using one of the enhancement options, integration with a subwoofer can be improved.

eRob
12-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Put the port in the front?

GirgleMirt
12-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Hmmm... I don't know if I should do this... I've been selected as a secret santa beta tester and can say that the product is fantastic. Also comes in a variety of colors. I know I shouldn't but I'm going to drop the scoop, here are some photos of the prototype, I was told that the retail version might not be identical to these, the size, shape and color might vary, but the final product should be somewhat similar to this. If you're wondering how they work, you have to carefully fold them and place them into the port opening of the Sierras, these will make the Sierras sealed. From what I've been told, a price has not been set yet. Oh, I almost forgot... pic! (http://nashsmom.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/sock2.jpeg) :D

Ok can't wait to see the (real) final product ;)

davef
12-04-2008, 04:06 PM
I was wondering where my socks went :p

buddhadas
12-04-2008, 04:29 PM
That is absolutely hysterical!

Thank you for that!

Jim

gtoboss
12-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Nice U got me on the edge of my seat and then...........droped me!:D

drewface
12-05-2008, 07:28 AM
haha!

Asliang
12-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Awww....I was expecting a Rick Roll video ;P

c_smith
12-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Hey, any more info on this, specifically a date when it will be out, even if it's only ballpark? I ask b/c i'm on the verge of buying a new pair of fronts, but being in a tiny (and I mean TINY) NYC apartment leaves me with no other option than to have my fronts pretty close to the wall (~6-8 inches away). So a sealed version of the Sierra-1 sounds like it would be right in my wheelhouse...i've always been a bit worried the current, rear-ported version might be a tad boomy. Just curious really...sounds like a very intriguing option for my situation. Thanks.

Sam1000
12-11-2008, 11:25 AM
c_smith:
Call Ascend and they might provide you the variation of Sierra earlier...

davef
12-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Hey, any more info on this, specifically a date when it will be out, even if it's only ballpark? I ask b/c i'm on the verge of buying a new pair of fronts, but being in a tiny (and I mean TINY) NYC apartment leaves me with no other option than to have my fronts pretty close to the wall (~6-8 inches away). So a sealed version of the Sierra-1 sounds like it would be right in my wheelhouse...i've always been a bit worried the current, rear-ported version might be a tad boomy. Just curious really...sounds like a very intriguing option for my situation. Thanks.

We are now only days away... I hope to starting posting info on the forum by this Monday.. Stay tuned... :D

nguay
12-15-2008, 12:05 PM
We are now only days away... I hope to starting posting info on the forum by this Monday.. Stay tuned... :D

Any news for us Dave?

davef
12-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Any news for us Dave?

Darn things are held up in customs :mad: I will start posting information tonight. Lots of cool graphs :)

nguay
12-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Darn things are held up in customs :mad: I will start posting information tonight. Lots of cool graphs :)

Too bad about customs, but I look forward to the info. :)

GirgleMirt
12-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Yep, same here, I'm curious at seeing what it is, and also the effects of turning the Sierras into sealed speakers!

//GirgleMirt refreshes the Ascend forums every 10 minutes!

Sam1000
12-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Whatever it is.. Can I pre-order??:D

Don't want the stock to run out before my order :)...

merrymaid520
12-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Looking forward to the announcement. I will be curious to see if the enhancement will benefit me at all considering my sierras are only about a foot from the back wall. I run them as small except when listening through my 2 ch preamp.

Gov
12-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Oh boy, another temptation for me :D
I am curious as to how they will perform vs my 340SE's which are only about 6" away from the rear wall. They are run "small" and crossed at 80hz.

Mike^S
12-15-2008, 06:48 PM
I hope the info gets posted before I go to sleep. Gotta get up early for work tomorrow. :(

nguay
12-16-2008, 08:52 AM
David Fabrikant to the Principals office........ David Fabrikant to the Principals office

davef
12-16-2008, 12:23 PM
David Fabrikant to the Principals office........ David Fabrikant to the Principals office

Hah -- sorry guys. Doing my best here -- my internet at my home office has been down for the past 24 hours now. I am furious with Time Warner cable!

All the necessary info I have is on my home computer... It will get done today as I am now working remotely.

Funny thing is TW Cable is only willing to credit me a whopping $10/month for 3 months. I think it is time to kill the cable modem and go with DSL at my home. They advertise cable modems as being more reliable and faster than DSL but our service at the office (DSL) has been much more reliable and also seems faster, besides costing half as much per month... :mad: :mad: :mad:

c_smith
12-16-2008, 12:50 PM
I have TWC out here in NYC and share the sentiments; it's pretty much garbage, but it's the only thing we can get. :mad:

davef
12-16-2008, 12:56 PM
I have TWC out here in NYC and share the sentiments; it's pretty much garbage, but it's the only thing we can get. :mad:

Yes, total garbage! I am trying to see how quickly I can have a DSL line put in. I have had it with them, I have wasted enough time on the phone. :mad:

davef
12-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Well, apparently I am not alone in experiencing TW internet problems. It seems 1.2 million people are experiencing the same problem. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20875802-Re-What-the-heck-is-going-on-in-SoCal

and

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/12/lose-your-time.html

Funny thing, after spending 2 hours on the phone with Time Warner - they told me that they had not received any other reports of problems :eek:

I have no idea when this is going to be resolved. Can't exactly upload my data and post updates by way of my Treo smart phone. I haven't been this angry in a while... :mad: :mad: :mad:

curtis
12-16-2008, 11:47 PM
It's a DNS problem? Interesting.

BTW, eventhough I am on Verizon FiOS, which I love, I use OpenDNS.

davef
12-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Hi Curtis,

It is, unfortunately, not just a DNS problem now. Tried using OpenDNS, no such luck. Consulted with a few experts this evening and the entire network is now having major problems.

Trying to figure out how to use my smart phone as a modem :confused:

nguay
12-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi Curtis,

It is, unfortunately, not just a DNS problem now. Tried using OpenDNS, no such luck. Consulted with a few experts this evening and the entire network is now having major problems.

Trying to figure out how to use my smart phone as a modem :confused:

There should be a usb cable and software on a cd that came with the phone. I use it on my laptop at times.

dallas
12-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Is your business operation using the network (suppliers, etc)?

I've got a pretty long resume with ISPs, networks, Microsoft infrastruture, and now SAP ERP. I'd expect a company your size is growing somwhat rapidly.

You may not need it now, but I would suggest you task someone to price out getting a internet connection at your office and price out a small business ERP solutions like SAP or microsoft dynamics. Like I said, you may not need it now, but if you grow you will, and the transition later will be easier if you have an idea what's out there.

davef
12-18-2008, 05:17 PM
You may not need it now, but I would suggest you task someone to price out getting a internet connection at your office and price out a small business ERP solutions like SAP or microsoft dynamics. Like I said, you may not need it now, but if you grow you will, and the transition later will be easier if you have an idea what's out there.

Hi Dallas,

We have a business class DSL line at our office that has been nearly perfect for us. Been down only 1 hour in the past year. The problems I was having with TW Internet were at my home office. Funny thing with TW Internet, they still haven't "admitted" to me that there was a problem, telling me that a tech needs to come see my modem. The tech must have broke into my home while I was not home and replaced the modem, because magically, everything was working fine early this morning ;)

Thanks for your advice -- I am somewhat familiar with ERP (and MRP) solutions. We do have a networked accounting system that assists us with basically all we need -- not quite a full blown ERP system but it suits our needs now. I do hope to be able to grow out of it though :p

davef
12-18-2008, 05:19 PM
For those interested in a "sealed" Sierra-1:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3781