PDA

View Full Version : New Pioneer Elite SC-05!

Gov
10-20-2008, 02:03 PM
I picked one up today and sold my LPA-1. It was hard letting that go, but it really was not needed. I am going to set everything up tomorrow and will post a mini review after I get familiar with it. Looking forward to these class D ICE amps!!
I am still debating whether or not to sell the 340SE L/C/R and get Sierra's to replace them. I am guessing the SC-05 will have no trouble driving the Sierras if I do.

curtis
10-20-2008, 02:22 PM
I doubt you you will miss the LPA-1.

Jonnyozero3
10-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Oh man, I am *supremely* interested in you impressions. I was about three minutes from ordering one of these a few weeks ago but just barely held off.

I think an amp like that deserves Sierra's ;)

Gov
10-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Oh man, I am *supremely* interested in you impressions. I was about three minutes from ordering one of these a few weeks ago but just barely held off.

I think an amp like that deserves Sierra's ;)

Your bad! :D
I guess Dave F is a big ICE amp fan, and I know Curtis is too. The SC-05 is some serious eye candy! I can't wait to set it up tomorrow. Stay tuned!

curtis
10-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Your bad! :D
I guess Dave F is a big ICE amp fan, and I know Curtis is too. The SC-05 is some serious eye candy! I can't wait to set it up tomorrow. Stay tuned!
Why are you waiting until tomorrow?

Jonnyozero3
10-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Why are you waiting until tomorrow?

Ditto...heh :D

Gov
10-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, I promised the wife and kids I would spend quality time with them tonight. Besides I am off work tomorrow and no one will be home most of the day :D

So this works out.

Jonnyozero3
10-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Well?!?!?!

Gov
10-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Well.........its AWESOME. This receiver is so sexy looking! Set up went good, I put everything in its place and got it right the first time :p Using the nice GUI, I ran MCACC and it did its thing. I need to figure out the advanced MCACC a lot more, as I was used to the old 5 band one that was mediocre at best. Also, I messed with the "THX LOudness Plus" which is supposedly similar to Audyssey's dynamic volume. I really can't comment on that on yet. There is a feature called "High Bit/High Sampling" that when engaged supposedly creates a wider dynamic range with digital sources. I dunno about that one yet either.
As far as SQ goes, my 340SE's sounded extremely punchy and articulate. I was easily playing at reference volumes (momentarily) with now problem, and the receiver seemed to still have more headroom. With redbook CD's I was over 95db and hitting 105-110db peaks and it sounded good! That was from my listening position which is about 14 feet away! Like I said, I still have a lot of tweaking to do especially getting to know the advanced MCACC better. This receiver runs pretty cool too. I think these ICEpower amps are for real.

Jonnyozero3
10-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Glad to hear it! Congrats :)

Now you make me want one even more...

DougMac
10-22-2008, 07:19 AM
Darn you! One more option to fuel my upgrade-itis.

What about PQ? Are you using pass through or letting the receiver upscale? I'm using a Panny Ice Amp (57) and it sounds great, but having just one HDMI in is a PITA. I had plans to upgrade, so I'm using a cheap 4x2 switcher. Sometimes it has handshake problems and the remote has never worked. That's why I'm looking to step up.

Doug

Gov
10-22-2008, 07:56 AM
At the moment, I only use it for audio. It is reported to be very good also for video pass through. It really is a very nice piece of gear. Supposedly, it is currently being professionally reviewed (can't remember which magazine) and should be out soon.

Jonnyozero3
10-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Darn you! One more option to fuel my upgrade-itis.

What about PQ? Are you using pass through or letting the receiver upscale? I'm using a Panny Ice Amp (57) and it sounds great, but having just one HDMI in is a PITA. I had plans to upgrade, so I'm using a cheap 4x2 switcher. Sometimes it has handshake problems and the remote has never worked. That's why I'm looking to step up.

Doug

AFAIK, the Panny digital amps use switching amplifiers, but actually don't use the B&O ICEpower topology. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

davef
10-22-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm using a Panny Ice Amp (57) and it sounds great, but having just one HDMI in is a PITA.

AFAIK, the Panny digital amps use switching amplifiers, but actually don't use the B&O ICEpower topology. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Many people often mistake a digital switching amplifier (like the Panasonic line of receivers) as being "ICE" amplifiers. They are not one in the same --- ICEpower amps are a patented advanced technology amplifier developed and owned by Bang & Olufson. (B&O). The two have little in common. http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/

The Panny line of digital receivers is fantastic for the money, but really can't compare to a true ICEpower amp, nor would it be a fair comparison as ICE based amplifiers typically start at about $2,000 and go way up from there...

DougMac
10-23-2008, 09:28 AM
OOPs! My mistake. I blame it on lack of attention and the Russians (sorry, wrong decade).

Doug

scape
10-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Many people often mistake a digital switching amplifier (like the Panasonic line of receivers) as being "ICE" amplifiers. They are not one in the same --- ICEpower amps are a patented advanced technology amplifier developed and owned by Bang & Olufson. (B&O). The two have little in common. http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/

The Panny line of digital receivers is fantastic for the money, but really can't compare to a true ICEpower amp, nor would it be a fair comparison as ICE based amplifiers typically start at about $2,000 and go way up from there...

I was wondering if you knew of an amp that did utilize the ash7 model of ICEpower from B&O, .003%thd is nutty!
as far as digital switching goes, many have the unfortunate side effect of a larger THD rating, sometimes .10% and above, when linear amps are sometimes .05% and lower-- but running cooler and utilizing energy more efficiently is something I find intriguing; I read somewhere that this tech started from satellites and somehow moved down into speaker amps.

edit: make that .003% @ 5W, .05% at nominal power

ccotenj
10-23-2008, 03:23 PM
c'mon gov, get off your can and order those sierra's... :D

your sc-05 will thank you... :)

ccotenj
10-23-2008, 03:26 PM
I was wondering if you knew of an amp that did utilize the ash7 model of ICEpower from B&O, .003%thd is nutty!
as far as digital switching goes, many have the unfortunate side effect of a larger THD rating, sometimes .10% and above, when linear amps are sometimes .05% and lower-- but running cooler and utilizing energy more efficiently is something I find intriguing; I read somewhere that this tech started from satellites and somehow moved down into speaker amps.

edit: make that .003% @ 5W, .05% at nominal power

well, the sc series uses a "custom" version of the b&o module... not really sure what they "customized" for pio...

Gov
10-23-2008, 05:28 PM
c'mon gov, get off your can and order those sierra's... :D

your sc-05 will thank you... :)

Well, I just may get keep the 340SE's now and get a different subwoofer. I am thinking maybe the HSU ULS-15. I think that might be a little better than the Mirage S12?

drewface
10-24-2008, 07:37 AM
Well, I just may get keep the 340SE's now and get a different subwoofer. I am thinking maybe the HSU ULS-15. I think that might be a little better than the Mirage S12?why don't you get sierras now, and wait on the sub upgrade until you see what davef's working on? :D

Gov
10-24-2008, 10:59 AM
why don't you get sierras now, and wait on the sub upgrade until you see what davef's working on? :D

I think I am going to keep my 340SE's. Due to my large room size and layout, I don't think the Sierra's will be much better in my application. And I we wait to see what Dave F comes up with in the SW department :D Hopefully for my needs, a high output, smaller footprint 15" sub :D

openwheelracing
10-24-2008, 02:35 PM
I got my first ICEpower amp. NHT Power2. Loving it.:)

davef
10-24-2008, 04:51 PM

No, I don't know of any at this time. I believe this is the latest version of the ASH modules.