PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on nearfield placement of Sierra-1's.

rhkelly
10-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi Folks,

I just got my new Seirra's the other day and would like to get some input on a nearfield setup.

I have a 60" x 30" desk with a 6" high x 12" deep hutch on the back portion. The desk is up against a wall. The left-side of the desk is open to at least 7' of additional wall space. The right side of the desk has ~15" of wall space, beyond the desk, before it hits a corner. So, on either side of the desk I can put speaker stands to spread the distance between the speakers to about 6'. Currently, the speakers are sitting on the hutch on either end (~4' apart between centers). I would like to get your input on which you would believe to be the best option:

1. Keep them in their current position resting on the hutch on either side of the desk. The back of each speaker is ~6" from the back wall. The tweeters are about at ear level. The bass is excellent. The imaging is also excellent, though it tends to break up a tad when I move back about 2'.

2. Get a pair of stands and put the speakers on either side of the desk allowing for around a 6' distance between each speaker. The stands would be 36" to 40"; Allowing the tweeters to be higher than the hutch and at about ear level. The Front of the speakers would be a little in-front of the hutch, allowing for about 8" between the back of the speaker and the wall. I would ultimately play with the distance from the wall to obtain the best sound.

3. Wall-mount the speakers. There are two places on the back wall that have studs where I could mount the speakers. One set of studs is at each corner of the desk (~5' apart). The other studs in the wall are in the right corner (facing the desk) and 16" on center from the edge of the desk on the long wall (or left side of the desk). This would allow the speakers to be roughly 8' apart. I think I got lucky how the studs are centered.

For the wall-mount option, I would be using some heavy base-plate mounts like the B-Tech BT77 wall mount speaker brackets that many have spoken about on this forum, or an equivalent. If I mount the speakers on the wall, the tweeters will be approximately 18" above ear level, so the speakers would have to be angled slightly down. <-- Correct?

Any experienced-based input would be greatly appreciated. The primary reason I'm asking is because I don't want to put a bunch of holes in the wall to find out that the solution isn't optimal, give the constraints.

Ross

Mike^S
10-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Considering how close you are, I wouldn't put the speakers any more than 6 feet apart. Even that seems like a lot.

Could you post a picture of your setup?

rhkelly
10-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. I don't have a site anymore to post pictures. What do most people do to post?

The current setup, on the hutch, do sound amazingly nice. I'd just like to clear some desk space, thus the question. I guess not too many people use these speakers nearfield.

Dave,

You've already been told this hundreds of times, but you created one awesome set of speakers. The bass extension is truly incredible!

Ross

ImagePree
10-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Try photobucket.com or flickr.com

davef
10-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the reply. I don't have a site anymore to post pictures. What do most people do to post?

Hi Ross,

The forum does allow you to post pictures directly. When creating a new post, look below under additional options and you will notice an option to "manage attachments". Just click on that button and you can directly upload your images.

I am happy that you are enjoying the speakers :D

rhkelly
10-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks Dave!

I just noticed your reply tonight. Also, your email answered my main question about wall-mounting. I ordered some stands so that I can try them on either side of my desk as well. They should arrive this week. If I don't like the imaging, the stands can be used elsewhere.

The imaging in the current setup is exceptional. I have them about 1/2 inch overhanging the hutch ledge. There is absolutely no need for any toe-in. I'm hoping that putting them on either side of the desk will also be stellar since I would like to open up a little more space on the hutch.

For those interested in nearfield setups, I'll let you know how they sound once I have the stands in place.

Sorry for the wire mess. I'm waiting until I have everything that I want before worrying about wire management.

Here are the pics