PDA

View Full Version : Speaker recommendations. Help please.

rhkelly
10-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi,

This is my first post to this forum, but I have done an awful lot of reading the last few weeks. I'm interesting in purchasing speakers for a home theater. This will be in a bedroom. I'm wanting a 5.1 system. The room size is ~14' x 13.5' x 7' (189^2, 1323 ^3). The speakers will be driven by a Yamaha rx-v863 receiver. I'll also be adding a new subwoofer, but probably not for a few weeks.

First of all, could somebody tell me whether or not my room is considered small, medium, or large? I'm guessing small to medium, but of all of the room sizes I have read on this forum, I still don't know which it would be considered. I primarily would like this info so that I have a good idea of what subwoofer to purchase.

The rear speakers will have to be the htm-200 SE's since one of them will have to be mounted directly above a door.

For the front stage, I'm primarily interested in the CMT-340 SE's. I'd like to know whether or not these would be too much for my room size. The center is a no-brainer, but I'm not 100% sure on the left and right front channels. Room is not an issue in this respect.

The home theater will be used roughly 80/20 home theater to music. I am currently setting up a music-only system as well which will eventually use the Sierra-1 speakers, so music for the home theater system is not a major concern.

Finally, I currently am using some old Infinity Reference Series speakers. This includes RS5 Fronts, RS3 Surrounds, and a CC3 center. I currently am not using a sub. Has anybody on this forum ever had these speakers, and if so, could you give me an idea of what to expect if I purchase Ascends? My current system actually sounds pretty good, even without a sub, so I'm hoping for a nice bump in overall sound quality and performance.

Thanks for your responses in advance,

Ross

Gov
10-07-2008, 09:13 PM
I would consider your room small to medium size. I would get 3 340SE's and the surrounds 200SE's. 340's would not be overkill in your room, but, if you looking to cut costs, a pair of 170's with the 340 center would be acceptable as well.

scape
10-08-2008, 07:56 AM
I personally went with 2 170se and 1 340 center (~14x14x8 listening area), I think it sounds great. I just recently coupled them with a yamaha sub which goes to ~30hz relatively smoothly, but they were pretty deep sounding as is. I have my satellites high up, about 7 ft, and surround sound effect is greatly reduced having it so high up. when I get a chance to redo the surrounds, I'll be aiming for only 1.5-2ft above my seated position on the sides. having the surrounds slightly behind your ears is even better-- it may be best to mount them on an angle on the wall behind your heads? anyways, I'm not sure what your exact room setup is, but I have a feeling any product from ascend will suit your setup quite well.

DougMac
10-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Welcome Ross!
I consider your room on the small/lower medium size. Also, it's nearly square, which presents sonic challenges.
I think your Ascend speaker choices are fine for the room. How loud to you listen to movies? Do you watch a lot of action movies? If you listen loud to action movies, go with the 340's. If you watch more dialog driven movies with the occasional action movie at moderate levels, the 170's L/R may suffice.

I have not heard the model Infinities you have, but reviews point out they have a mid bass hump. This is an easy way for speaker manufacturers to hide other weaknesses. When you first get the Ascends, the may sound a little thin in comparision, since they were designed for accurate reproduction. Listen to them for a while. You'll soon learn to appreciate their accuracy over a muddy, bloated midbass. Music, especially symphonic music, will open up and sound great. This is important since a lot of movie soundtracks use symphonic music in their scores.

A nice sub will add a new dimension to your viewing/listening experience. I'm using a SVS PB12-NSD in a 16x20x9 HT and it is plenty. We were watching the TV series "Criminal Minds" from a DVD last night. The suspensful scenes had a lot of very low rumblings that added a lot of atmosphere. A good 10" may be all you need for your room size.

Doug

rhkelly
10-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm thinking that 3-340's up front will probably do the trick. Now I just have to decide whether I want to go ahead with the purchase.

Doug, you are right about the RS5s. I had to reduce the bass response by 6 db just to tame most of the mid-bass. Even with that, they still are boomy at times.

Thanks again for all of your replies.

Ross

davef
10-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm thinking that 3-340's up front will probably do the trick. Now I just have to decide whether I want to go ahead with the purchase.Ross

Hi Ross,

Welcome to the forum! I have to agree -- (3) 340 SE (left, center, right) would be perfect :)

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

rhkelly
10-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks Dave,

Actually we just spoke via email either late last night or this morning. I just purchased one pair of those b-stock Sierra-1's this morning.

Please oh please give me the ones that have the least noticeable blemishes. Are the b-stock unitls still pretty nice cosmetically?

Thanks again,

Ross

rhkelly
10-09-2008, 09:35 PM
And one other question. Has anybody used the Sierra's with any vintage 70's receivers. If so, what were your impressions of the major brands (Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui, Yamaha, etc).

Thanks!

Ross

buddhadas
10-09-2008, 10:02 PM
I have my Sierra's hooked up to a McIntosh pre-amp and amp, and I absolutely love the sound. I suspect you will not be disappointed!

Jim

P Seastrand
10-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Please oh please give me the ones that have the least noticeable blemishes. Are the b-stock unitls still pretty nice cosmetically?

Thanks again,

RossI can't speak for the Sierra's, but when I received my b-stock 340's I had to look long and hard to find anything that could be called a blemish. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

rhkelly
10-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks Jim!

I'm seriously thinking about getting a MAC4100 receiver. I don't know if it's up to snuff with the McIntosh separates though.

jRoss

rhkelly
10-09-2008, 10:50 PM
I can't speak for the Sierra's, but when I received my b-stock 340's I had to look long and hard to find anything that could be called a blemish. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

That would be awesome! Pragmatically though, I'm thinking even if I did find a small flaw, the speakers will have something happen to them eventually either by my 7-year old or by me. LOL

I'm really glad there was a pair on sale though, since that essentially pushed me over the edge to give them a try. Right now I'm using some JBL E30s for strict music. I'm pretty sure there won't be much competition once they arrive. :)

Ross

placebo473
10-10-2008, 08:02 AM
...I'm interesting in purchasing speakers for a home theater. This will be in a bedroom. I'm wanting a 5.1 system. The room size is ~14' x 13.5' x 7' (189^2, 1323 ^3). The speakers will be driven by a Yamaha rx-v863 receiver. I'll also be adding a new subwoofer, but probably not for a few weeks...OK, so you're turning a 'spare bedroom' into a home theater? I don't think that room is small when it's empty but, you'll need to consider your furniture space (+future sub), walking space, and whether you'll stand-mount or wall-mount your speakers. If your area may be a little congested than you'd like, you may find using the HTM 200SEs sufficient. The stereo pair of CBM-170SEs I have are downright loud (louder than your E30s if I remember correctly... 8" driver 3" mid 3/4" tweeter?) on their own (powered by an Emotiva LPA-1) and of course the CMT-340SEs potentially output more than both. I suggest using 5 HTM-200SEs (unless small-sized speakers are damaging to your ego) and definitely get the Sierra's for your reference audio room. You might not call it that now but, you will.

I remember setting up one of my first subs in my bedroom almost 20 years ago (basically in my childrood room). I feel asleep while it was playing pretty loud. I almost didn't wake up. My heart felt like it had stopped from the high SPL.

davef
10-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks Dave,

Actually we just spoke via email either late last night or this morning. I just purchased one pair of those b-stock Sierra-1's this morning.

Thanks again,

Ross

Hi Ross,

You will be most pleased!

Enjoy!!

rhkelly
10-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Thank-you Dave!

I am really looking forward to receiving them! Also, thank-you very much for getting them shipped so quickly. Your (less than) 24-hour turnaround is much quicker than what I am accustomed! :)

Placbo....
This is actually for a used bedroom. No conversions happening. It's just laid out efficiently to allow for bigger speakers.

Ross