PDA

View Full Version : Audyssey EQ with Ascends

Gov
09-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Just wondering if the Audyssey EQ is beneficial to Ascends. I think MCACC's EQ sucks with the Ascends. It makes them sound lifeless and dull.
I would love to hear from people whether or not they have there Audyssey EQ engaged or turned off.

chas
09-28-2008, 05:06 PM
I hated MCACC with the Ascends also (but it helped with other speakers I've owned). I also disliked the auto-EQ in the pre-Audyssey Denon's and YPAO in Yamaha. I have been using Audyssey in my current Denon however. I do not use it for two channel music, but I do for everything else. It rolls off the highs a bit too much for my tastes, but does seem to clean up the bass and provide a better surround experience for movies in my room.

Gov
09-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks Chas, what receiver are you currently using? I was thinking about either the Onkyo 705 or 805.

scape
09-28-2008, 06:40 PM
i think the audyssey eq is much needed for most setups, as it provides room correction that may be needed. for music I personally leave on the multi-eq setting as it significantly helps my speakers sound better. I go back and forth between pure direct and stereo w/ multi-eq on, and always end up leaving it on the 'enhanced' eq. having used a 10-band manual eq in the past, I can only say that using one correctly is a blessing to most, if not all, speakers. a speaker may sound great in one room, and a little off in another-- I think the multi-eq really helps to level things out, especially for mid and lower bass.

170se LR
340se C
denon 1909

chas
09-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks Chas, what receiver are you currently using?

Have a 2308ci now...have a 2808ci on the way.

curtis
09-28-2008, 08:09 PM
I think the use of Audessey really comes down to how much it is actually doing. I have heard setups with Audessey that I liked, and didn't like....especially from the mid-bass on up. For the midbass on down, I think it usually sounds good.

Mag_Neato
09-29-2008, 05:20 AM
My Onkyo has auto EQ, and I usually prefer it on while in surround for movies. It improves my non-Ascend center channel and just makes the setup more cohesive. I turn off all EQ for 2-channel music.

There's a new player about to make it's debut in Sherwood Newcastle's new receiver. Trinnov. Sounds like it will a quantum leap over Audyssey.

scape
09-29-2008, 05:57 AM
My Onkyo has auto EQ, and I usually prefer it on while in surround for movies. It improves my non-Ascend center channel and just makes the setup more cohesive. I turn off all EQ for 2-channel music.

There's a new player about to make it's debut in Sherwood Newcastle's new receiver. Trinnov. Sounds like it will a quantum leap over Audyssey.

thanks for the find! I'm actually surprised not more receivers have audyssey or other semi/pro calibration eqs. I think it makes more sense to use a well-known algorithm than to simply create their own (mcaac as an example).
I personally find the audyssey eq setting brings the music forward and out (wider), providing a huge sense of depth, where before calibration (off) the speakers are easily localized. i agree it is not great on the upper end, but it certainly does not ruin the sound in my opinion. I find the room calibration is more important, atleast for my particular situation.
I think with the current rate of computing power, these calibration mics should be left on and constantly testing the environment- not just during a setup phase.

Mike^S
09-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Here's what Audyssey did with my room. I am using it, but I had to bump up the treble 2 dB afterwards (not shown in the graphs).

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3639

scape
09-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Here's what Audyssey did with my room. I am using it, but I had to bump up the treble 2 dB afterwards (not shown in the graphs).

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3639

how did audyssey flat work out the trebble? i thought boosting trebble meant defeating the audyssey eq?
good stuff, thats a lot of legwork--but we always learn something from it, thanks!

Gov
09-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Scape...how do like the two newer Audyssey features on the 1909? Are they worth it? It sounds kind of like Pioneer's "midnight" mode.

scape
09-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Scape...how do like the two newer Audyssey features on the 1909? Are they worth it? It sounds kind of like Pioneer's "midnight" mode.

I wrote a reply back here (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=29056&postcount=26) about it; it really is helpful for tv. I don't ever want to go back. for movies I have never used it, but I am sure it will be helpful for a latenight movie or game. it is much more advanced than a nightmode, which ironically the avr has also; but dynamics is a whole new ballgame. everything is clear and audible, and this was the single feature that stole me away from the 988-- it's practical for my application; and believe me that was a tough call
I finally redid my console area, and the center and mains are at the same distance, which is remarkable how much 1.5 ft make during calibration, and because of this the audio leveling is practically perfect. the single downside which is rather unfortunate is dynamics will not work louder than -20db level (whatever that ends up being on your speakers). after reposition and calibrating though, my average tv volume is around -30 for comfortable listening and having dynamics on is a huge improvement for what passes for audio on tv. happily, my ascend setup is so nice sounding, I rarely have a need to push it to -15db or more.

Mike^S
09-29-2008, 11:22 AM
how did audyssey flat work out the trebble? i thought boosting trebble meant defeating the audyssey eq?
good stuff, thats a lot of legwork--but we always learn something from it, thanks!

My receiver, Onkyo SR805, does not have an Audyssey flat option like the Denons. Bumping up the treble 2dB basically restores the treble without disabling Audyssey.

Gov
09-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Scape, do you find that the 1909 drives your Ascends with ease? You have the SE's or Sierras?

scape
09-29-2008, 03:50 PM
very easily, it is 90watt/ch amplified. the 170se's I have are also pretty efficient too, so that certainly helps. putting the receiver into 5 channel (enabling my 340se center) I end up having to turn down the volume compared to just the two 170se's going in stereo. my room is 14x26x8, with my couch 10 ft from the speakers, along the long path (it's an apartment with an open floorplan for the main room). it sounds pretty good towards the far wall, but the couch absorbs a lot of the sound (i have my speakers positioned at ear height while sitting). if you're in the market for a denon, the 988 is even more power at even lower THD per channel; sans dynamic volume/eq.