PDA

View Full Version : Layman's Terms - 170SE vs 340SE

PizzaTheHutt
09-26-2008, 02:17 PM
The recent sale is making me re-think my possible purchase. Initially I was going to go with a 340SE center and 170SE front pair, eventually down the line shifting the 170SE's to surrounds and picking up a pair of 340SE's for mains. Now I'm wondering if its best to pick up the 340SE's all at once.

However, I just wanted to get one last piece of advice/info...is it possible to compare these two speakers in a basic sense? That is, I'll most likely use the speakers for HT and gaming. Are the 170SE's (as the mains) strong enough to handle this? Or in another view, are 170SE's better for movies/gaming?

As of right now I do not have a dedicated HT, but will in the future. My make-shift HT is in a room with an open side. I want to makes sure any speakers I purchase now will be able to fill a future room and that's making me think that the 340SE might be better. (Although there's no guarantee on the size of the room).

So yeah, I'm not sure which route to go. Any thoughts would be helpful!

Gov
09-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Get the 340SE's for the front speakers and don't look back. Dave is practically giving these speakers away right now! The 340's will do great in a small, medium or large room. I am not knocking the 170's at all (used to own a pair :D), but the 340's are superior in everyway, IMHO.

scape
09-28-2008, 10:33 AM
i second the 340s up front, especially if ht/gaming is what your looking for. I have the 170's LR and 340 center, they sound great; but if you're going for 340's upfront at 'some' point, make it now before that deal is gone. the 340 is a great speaker, and it's presence is much more than the 170's. if you have a subwoofer or plan on one, the 170's might fit the bill; but my first statement still stands..

ironmike86
09-28-2008, 11:20 AM
^ yup I have the same. Even with a sub I'd rather have better speakers= 340. The 170se are nice but if you can fit the 340 get 'em

PizzaTheHutt
09-28-2008, 04:47 PM
I really appreciate the help guys...I just have one follow-up question...the last two posts mention a subwoofer in a different light...that is, seemingly not using one. Is it somewhat common for people with 340SE's upfront not to use a subwoofer?

ironmike86
09-28-2008, 05:24 PM
For HT most ppl will use a sub. For music depending on the speakers you may not need a sub because the material may not go that low. Dunno if the 340se really need a sub. You may not. But it wouldn't hurt to have one. But I believe you are a HT & gamer? You can never have enough subs no matter what speakers you use IMO

scape
09-28-2008, 06:24 PM
i agree, subs are important. especially for HT use. the 340 goes pretty low, but cannot be substituted for a sub. and I think a lot of music is benefited with a sub, just look at jazz-- many of the instruments extend far below 50hz...but really, I wouldn't worry about it too much with the 340's up front; atleast not until later in time; these speakers will not disappoint. personally I still cannot make up my mind for a good quality sub, and spending roughly 600$ or more on a single speaker is hard to justify for myself; especially if I am uncertain! I just picked up a budget yamaha 10" to hold me over a few months until I can make up my mind, or until ascend helps make it up for me ;D
but all in all, stay on track, you can always add a sub later (or two!)

musicforme
09-28-2008, 06:49 PM
If you don't have a sub right now, you might be able to get by with the 340s for now.

My sub is turned off most of the time due to not wanting to wake up our toddler at night. On several occasions, my wife has asked if the sub was turned off based on what she was hearing from the 340s. She learned to stop asking since every time she's asked, the sub was turned off.

drewface
09-29-2008, 09:03 AM
i've had 340SEs up front with no sub for almost two years now, and while there are definitely some times during movies and certain songs i really wish i had a sub to back them up, i have been very happy with their sound. and as musicforme mentioned, there are other times where the 340s perform so well in the bass range that i question whether i need a sub at all...

like scape, i have not been able to make up my mind on a sub, which is why i still don't have one. when i was ready to buy a hsu, rumors started swirling about an ascend sub being in the works, so now i am waiting for that to be revealed before i even start thinking about subs again.

PizzaTheHutt
09-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Appreciate the help again guys. I was always under the impression that a sub was integral to a HT setup (I have one now currently). And I think I would definitely pick one up when the $ allowed.

I'm still somewhat up in the air with the 340's mainly because I would also have to buy stands (the 170's would fit fine on my current ones) and I don't know what my future setup would be. But it is good to hear that people like them. I guess as long as the 340 can handle a small room as well as a large, I would lean their way.

DougMac
09-29-2008, 01:30 PM
If you can take advantage of the sale, I suggest you spring for the 340's. Having said that, I'd like to point out that the 170's are no slouches.

I have 340's up front, 170's for side surrounds and 200 classics for back surrounds in a 7.1 system. They all do a great job of blending seamlessly.

I got the speakers before the HT was finished. That gave me some time to do some 2 channel comparisons. They could all easily fill a medium sized room with levels louder than I'm comfortable listening. As expected and listed, the 340's go a little deeper than the 170's. Since they use the same drivers, it's hard to distinguish much difference in the mid and upper response. There are some who prefer a two way design over a MTM design. If you plan to use a sub and get a good musical sub, the differences between 170's and 340's might diminish further, depending on crossover and room acoustics.

My understanding is the 340's can go louder without stress, but I think you'd have to be in the REALLY loud range to tell.

BTW, it's fun to have friends over who have HTIB setups or big box store speakers and watch their jaws drop when they hear the Ascends. Propriety prevents me from telling them that for the same money they spent, they too could have had great sound.

Doug

scape
09-29-2008, 02:18 PM
If you can take advantage of the sale, I suggest you spring for the 340's. Having said that, I'd like to point out that the 170's are no slouches.
Doug

i have two 170se's and 1 center 340se, in music I go back and forth between stereo and dolby 5 channel; the presence of the 340 is remarkable, but feels a little exhausting after a long listening (probably due to my crappy satellites). some of my music sounds great in the semi-matrixed format, mostly b/c the 340 is there to pack a punch greater than the 170's. but in the end, the 170's seem more clear and concise, but lack that presence and lower extension. maybe when time comes I'll move on up and compare the two without messing it up with the 5 channel. what's your preference for music, 2 channel 170's or 340's? with a musical sub like something from Rel, I imagine the 170's would be just fine, perhaps when my yamaha arrives i can leave the music preference dialed in to a 2.1 setting.