PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1 Center Questions

Kenntak
08-26-2008, 06:15 AM
I have a couple of questions regarding the Sierra-1 Center. I see that it could be oriented either horizontally or vertically. If you were going to set it up horizontally, would there be any need to rotate the tweeter as I saw mentioned in another thread? In addition, if the speaker is placed in a center channel compartment in a TV stand, would this hurt the bass response or performance?

curtis
08-26-2008, 08:06 AM
First, yes, the tweeter does need to be turned for vertical or horizontal use.

As for using it in a center channel compartment, it depends on the compartment. I would call Ascend to discuss it.

davef
08-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Hi Kenntak

If you were going to set it up horizontally, would there be any need to rotate the tweeter as I saw mentioned in another thread?

If using the Sierra-1 positioned horizontally, it is recommended that the tweeter be rotated 90 degrees. Doing so maintains the correct dispersion due to the tweeter wave-guide. This is what differentiates the Sierra-1 left/right from the Sierra-1 center (center has the tweeter rotated).

In addition, if the speaker is placed in a center channel compartment in a TV stand, would this hurt the bass response or performance?

If you will be running a subwoofer and therefore setting a crossover in the receiver which will dramatically reduce the bass response of the speaker (either 60 or 80Hz, which is recommended) placing the speaker in a center channel compartment will absolutely not be a problem.

Take care and please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.