PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1 Bamboo in Red Oak Entertainment Center

Snoop
08-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I'd love to have the bamboo finish Sierra-1's but don't know how they'd look on shelves in my red oak entertainment center. Anyone know how they would look together? The piano blacks would be safe but I prefer natural finishes.

BradJudy
08-13-2008, 09:14 AM
I have bamboo Sierras next to oak bookshelves - I'll see if I can get a decent pic for you.

BradJudy
08-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Lets see if this works...

Snoop
08-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the photo. I believe it looks good enough to give it a try. Mine has a slightly more red tint, but is probably close enough.

muzz
08-23-2008, 07:57 AM
I took a picture of my Naturals next to my Red Oak Floor threshold(I used that threshold, because I have Vertical Carbonized Bamboo flooring), and they were pretty close, not perfect, but reasonable.
The Threshold only has Satin Poly on it.
I don't have that pic available, but Curtis has it on his site somewhere, maybe he can dig it up and post it here.

curtis
08-23-2008, 08:17 AM
muzz....I have this picture pf the threshold and your bamboo flooring:
http://changpics.smugmug.com/photos/159286365_MNwZ3-M.jpg

muzz
08-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Hey Curtis!!!

I guess i didn't put the Sierra next to the Threshold, I thought I did....
I DID however put the Sierra on that floor, so you would have to show both of the pics to determine the color match. and the color match of my floor and the sierras are pretty close, being that they are both vertical carbonized bamboo.

Thanks curtis- your the man bud!!

curtis
08-23-2008, 09:51 AM
yup....here it is the Sierra and the floor:

http://changpics.smugmug.com/photos/160230886_iynkr-M.jpg

Snoop
08-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey muzz & curtis,

Thanks for the photos. The red oak threshold looks good next to the bamboo floor. I am going to order the natural Sierras. Worst case I'll have to paint them, but if they look nearly as good as your floor, I will love them.

BTW, your wallpaper looks just like the border in my kitchen and the floor like my living room, only mine is red oak. You must have good taste!

muzz
08-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks, but it must be you that has good taste! :D

I guess it wasn't a waste of time to save those comparison pics huh Curtis.:D

That wallpaper is now gone, it looked good but it was time to go.
I am very happy with the floor though, I think it came out great, and as you can see it is very close to the Sierras.

I don't think you'll have to paint the Sierras myself.

Enjoy your Sierras, I think you'll be very pleased.

dallas
08-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Random thought, can raw/unfinished Bamboo be stained? I only ask becuase it a somewhat unique material to nat. woods.

davef
08-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Random thought, can raw/unfinished Bamboo be stained? I only ask becuase it a somewhat unique material to nat. woods.

Yes. This is something we have been experimenting with and have achieved good results. The natural cabinet must be sanded down well prior to staining (use 150 grit followed by 220). Stain should be wiped on lightly and left on to dry. Do not wipe as it takes a while for the stain to be absorbed. After 24 hours, lightly sand with a fine grit and stain again if you desire a darker finish. Once the desired hue is achieved, follow up with the application of a polyurethane gloss or semi-gloss sealer.

I recently used a red mahogany stain (minwax) and the results were beautiful. It takes some work but it is definitely worth it!

muzz
08-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Having personally worked with Bamboo, and remembering having it around a bit as a kid, I could tell that there would be some effort involved, because bamboo has a shiny coating(don't know what else to call it) on it to begin with.
CAREFUL sanding is what I figured it would take, lest ya make a mess of the fibers that make up the bamboo.

I foresee new colors coming!!:D

dallas
09-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Having personally worked with Bamboo, and remembering having it around a bit as a kid, I could tell that there would be some effort involved, because bamboo has a shiny coating(don't know what else to call it) on it to begin with.
CAREFUL sanding is what I figured it would take, lest ya make a mess of the fibers that make up the bamboo.

I foresee new colors coming!!:D

Yep, that's why I asked, I know bamboo was that natural wax in/on it that repels water.

davef
09-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Yep, that's why I asked, I know bamboo was that natural wax in/on it that repels water.

Correct -- you must sand and then use a good quality stain. Let the stain dry, do not wipe it off... Follow-up with polyurethane clear coat.