PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend a decent amp (or pre-amp not sure what the diff is)?

Rabbi R.
08-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Just wondering if anyone could recommend a decent pre-amp(I think) to go along with my H/K 635? I just currently purchased my set-up and noticed that I could use it to be louder. I really don't know anything about pre-amps so I was hoping someone here might be able to help out a new guy. I really enjoy the sound that my H/K puts out, all I really want is it to have more power.

drewface
08-05-2008, 07:35 AM
in your case, it sounds like you're looking for an external amplifier. your h/k is a full receiver, so it includes both the pre-amp and the amp. with an external amplifier, you will still feed all your sources into the h/k to be processed (this is the pre-amp stage), but instead of hooking the speaker wire up to the h/k, you will use the pre-outs to send the signals to whatever amp you get, and then the speakers will hook up to the amp.

a few people on this board, including myself, use an emotiva amp in their system. i have been extremely happy with my xpa-5 (200W x5 channels) from them, and i have heard very good things about their lpa-1 amp, which has recently been updated a little into the upa-7 (125W x7 channels).

Brian
08-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Rabi,

Something is not right here... I also own an H/K 635 and run audio out from pc, and for me comfortably loud is usually in the -30 db to -40 db range on the receiver. I just took out my spl meter and measured 110 db with the receiver at -7 db. 110 db is more than loud enough to damage your hearing and louder than I'd ever listen without earplugs. Currently I'm using the 635 with Onix Rocket 850s and a Mirage Omni S12 but I've used it with 340SEs in the past and overall volume output is not drastically different.

Unless your 635 is not working correctly, I don't think buying an external amp would solve your volume issue. I was curious about separates a few years ago and picked up a 200 wpc Anthem amplifier. I ended up selling it a month later because to my ear, the Harman Kardon receiver matched it in every way.

Going by my experience with this receiver I have to wonder if there's an issue elsewhere in your setup. From your other thread it looks like your source is pc, are you certain the master volume is at 100%?

Rabbi R.
08-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Hey guys thx for your help here. Drewface, I'll check out your recommendation. I do plan on purchasing another pair of 200's (will have 7 speakers, not including sub) so I assume I probably would want the upa-7, correct? Hi Brian, perhaps our settings are set differently causing different volume levels. I have found(so far) that my set up sounds best when I listen to my music in "logic 7" 5 channel. I may be wrong but I believe that having power running to all my speakers is why it's not as loud as I would like. My PC settings and media player are both turned up all the way. I've been playing my music on -15 db on my receiver(at loudest). Anything more then that, I'll have distortion issues but unfortunately it's not quite loud enough for my likings. If I set up everything to have sound only come out my front L/R, it is much louder but seems to lack sound quality in comparison.

Rabbi R.
08-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Just to make sure we're on the same page here, would the upa-7 add 125wx7 on top of the H/K power or would it not use any juice from the H/K be strickly 125w x 7?

Mr.Lawrence
08-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Just to make sure we're on the same page here, would the upa-7 add 125wx7 on top of the H/K power or would it not use any juice from the H/K be strickly 125w x 7?

Your H/K amps would be bypassed completely. All power would be supplied by the separate amp.

Rabbi R.
08-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Your H/K amps would be bypassed completely. All power would be supplied by the separate amp.

Good to know, thx Lawrence.

drewface
08-05-2008, 03:25 PM
i'm not sure if you know this already, but by upgrading to an external amplifier with more power per channel won't necessarily increase your volume output at a given setting on the dial. in fact, depending on the gain structure, the volume could be less at a given setting. where the extra power comes into play is you can turn it up louder without having distortion. the overall sound quality may benefit at softer volumes, as well, but the only time you will notice a real significant difference is when you start to turn it up a lot.

curtis
08-05-2008, 03:31 PM
To me, it seems like an issue with how/what the sound card is sending to the receiver, or perhaps the calibration of the speakers.

There is no reason why that HK could not drive you out of the room.

Rabbi R.
08-05-2008, 03:52 PM
To me, it seems like an issue with how/what the sound card is sending to the receiver, or perhaps the calibration of the speakers.

There is no reason why that HK could not drive you out of the room.

Hahaha.... I hope your right. When I get home from work I'll play around with the audio card settings some more. I did just purchase it so who knows, the possiblity does exist.

Rabbi R.
08-05-2008, 03:59 PM
i'm not sure if you know this already, but by upgrading to an external amplifier with more power per channel won't necessarily increase your volume output at a given setting on the dial. in fact, depending on the gain structure, the volume could be less at a given setting. where the extra power comes into play is you can turn it up louder without having distortion. the overall sound quality may benefit at softer volumes, as well, but the only time you will notice a real significant difference is when you start to turn it up a lot.

Hmmm... perhaps an external amp isn't what I'm looking for then, as I don't have any distortion unless I turn the H/K past -15db(on the reciever).:confused:

Rabbi R.
08-06-2008, 03:31 AM
i'm not sure if you know this already, but by upgrading to an external amplifier with more power per channel won't necessarily increase your volume output at a given setting on the dial. in fact, depending on the gain structure, the volume could be less at a given setting. where the extra power comes into play is you can turn it up louder without having distortion. the overall sound quality may benefit at softer volumes, as well, but the only time you will notice a real significant difference is when you start to turn it up a lot. Actually, just re-reading your post here and I misunderstood the first read. I'm thinking that probably would help out my cause. Didn't realize I would be able to turn it louder then -15db on the reciever with less distortion issues, as that's all I think I need.

curtis
08-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Hahaha.... I hope your right. When I get home from work I'll play around with the audio card settings some more. I did just purchase it so who knows, the possiblity does exist.
Have you used an SPL meter to calibrated the output levels of the speakers to match each other on the receiver?

Rabbi R.
08-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Have you used an SPL meter to calibrated the output levels of the speakers to match each other on the receiver?

I do plan on purchasing one, but for now I unfortunately do not yet have an SPL meter. I currently have my output levels set on: (sierras) L/C/R +1 and my rears(200's) set are on 0. I also did play around with my sound card settings last night but that doesn't seem to be the issue.