PDA

View Full Version : CD Players and the Sierra 1

Galwin
08-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Like many others here, I have been luxuriating in the amazing sound of the Sierra 1's. As I dig deeper into my CD collection, I continue to hear new revelations.

I am currently running the speakers through a Boston Acoustics A7200 (120x7) amplifier. It’s essentially the same as the Sherwood Newcastle A965. I am using my Yamaha RX V 1400 as a pre-amp. I am also using a low end Marantz 5-disc CD carousel for my source and suspect it’s probably the weakest link in the chain.

My question: What kind of difference can I expect from an upgrade in the CD player? How much do I need to spend before I begin to hear an appreciable difference? Any recommendations in the under $300.00 range or do I need to bump up that amount before I hear a difference?

I’d be interested in hearing about how members of the Ascend Community found CD players that allowed them to get the most from their Sierra 1’s.

Thanks much.

DougMac
08-01-2008, 11:34 AM
How do you have the Marantz cabled to the Yamaha, analog or digital? How old is the Marantz? If you're connected through digital optical/coax, unless the Marantz is throwing lots of read errors that the Yammy has to fix, it is my understanding replacing the Marantz would have little/no effect.

I have a cheapo Panasonic DVD player optically connected to my receiver and it sounds fine.

Doug

Galwin
08-01-2008, 11:47 AM
It's connected with optical cable - about 2 years old. Unfortunately I can't remember the model # right now but it's entry level.

BradJudy
08-01-2008, 01:01 PM
I'd start by also connecting the CD player via analog cables and trying it out using the "direct mode" on your receiver (if it has this type of function).

If you want to try a different CD player in the $300 or less range, the Marantz CD5001 has received a lot of good press. I don't have any direct experience with it.

clarke68
08-01-2008, 02:00 PM
My question: What kind of difference can I expect from an upgrade in the CD player? How much do I need to spend before I begin to hear an appreciable difference?Digital audio is getting better and cheaper all the time...in my opinion, this is an area where the point of diminishing returns starts very low.

I've A-B compared numerous units, ranging from $150 - $4000, and the differences are always so subtle I sometimes question if they're even real.

I had the Marantz CD5001 in for review for a while, it's a perfectly fine unit. My personal fave is the Sony SCD-CE595: $150, holds 5 discs, and even plays SACDs. Occasionally it turns up as a refurb for $60-$80.

drewface
08-01-2008, 02:46 PM
most "high-end" cd players are priced higher because they have VERY good dedicated digital to analog converters in them, whose SOLE purpose is to convert the digital cd data into analog. to take the most advantage of these players, you would want to use analog connections and bypass any processing on the preamp by using a "direct" mode. if you're using a digital connection and doing the processing at the preamp, then doug's advice that it would be an extremely little amount of difference, if any at all, is correct.

MichaelG
08-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I upgraded to the Sony SCD-CE595 about a year or so ago. It replaced a unit several years older that had optical connections and I didn't notice a ton of difference. The big improvement was the ability to play SACD.

You might considered acoustical treatments if your not using them as that money was well spent on the overall sound of my system.

Michael

Galwin
08-02-2008, 06:13 AM
Thanks much for the replies. I've been very pleased with the performance of my system but was wondering if these higher end CD players produce a significant upgrade. It sounds like the newer DAC's may be better, but how much better do they sound? I guess that's in the ear of the beholder.

I was wondering if the direct mode bypasses the receiver's DAC's or just the equalization? I use the Direct mode if I don't need the sub. To engage the sub I use 2 channel setting. Sounds great both ways as long as I cross the sub over at 60Hz rather than 80.