PDA

View Full Version : Sierra's vs Room Size??

gtoboss
07-31-2008, 09:05 AM
I have a question regarding a good set of bookshelves (like the Sierra's) being enough to fill a medium to large room (3800 cuft) with quality reference level sound for HT. Obviously it would be to benefit to get towers but due to WAF this is not a option. Would be using a sub and would crossover at normal 60-80hz. So here is the question is one 5.25in. speaker capable of producing 80hz, reference level, cleanly and or does the room size even matter.....maybe just listening area cubic footage. For example the living area is 3800cuft but is open to a hallway and dining room on the back wall that equals another 2500cuft. Do I not have to take in consideration the dining room and hallway since I will not be listening in that room.

curtis
07-31-2008, 09:22 AM
Do you actually listen at reference level? How far will the listening area be from the speakers?

gtoboss
07-31-2008, 09:39 AM
about 10ft, and I would not listen to them at ref usually, but I would like to have that option when all the kids and wife are gone.:D

DougMac
07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I think you get to choose one of the following:
WAF
Reference level listening.

Remember, you can only choose one!

I can't speak for the Sierras, but when I first received my 340's I evaluated them in our great room, which is an open space 25w x 30d x 22h. My grown son brought some samples and turned them up insanely loud. He said the 340's (and my SVS sub) was the only system he'd ever heard that could keep up with those tracks played that hot.

What do you consider reference level to be at listening position? Long term exposure to SPLs of 85-90db is considered damaging to hearing. I set my system to loud, a fair amount louder than my wife and I consider comfortable and measured at listening position. I was hitting peaks no greather than 85db.

Doug

Tushar
07-31-2008, 01:23 PM
When I bought my speakers I e-mailed Dave F and he was very patient and helpful. I asked same questions and he said the Sierra-1's woofer can handle it and you can always increase the volume on your amp if you need more output. He seemed to advise me different course if my priority was HT (he was suggesting more the 340SE's) or music fidelity (Sierra-1's) but it was very specific discussion so I'd suggest you contact him.

I have 6,000 cu ft great room and Sierra-1's L,R,C and my wife only likes action films. We go up to or above reference level at times.-- Couldn't hear any changes in the sound, detail with volume-- just got louder-- listened carefully both with sub crossed at 80Hz and without a sub. I think other posters are right you will probably hurt your ears if you keep them high all the time in which case you shouldn't spend as much time researching....

My listening area is 1/2 of the rectangular space with a back wall about 18 feet in front of the speaker. I would say my room is live with hard wood floor and many reflective surfaces, so if you have carpetted floor or walls, my comments may not help you.

However, I was surprised with the Sierra-1's output and bass-- far exceeded my last speakers-- which had a long throw 10" woofer and would ALWAYS win speaker wars in college.. back when active subs were not ubiquitous.

gtoboss
07-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks Tushar and Doug for the Reply.... I will contact Dave and ask him what he thinks.

get_zwole
08-01-2008, 05:08 AM
im 10 feet from my 340's and they will hit reference easily. I listen to most of my music around 85 db's. 85 your supposed to be able to listen to for like 8 hours continuously before it damages your hearing. Every 3db's above that it cuts time in half.

Im sure they will be just fine for you. good luck.

DougMac
08-01-2008, 07:09 AM
im 10 feet from my 340's and they will hit reference easily.
Since I've never heard Sierra's, I have no point of reference. From everything I've read, they deserve all the attention they're getting. Now that my HT is finished and I've been fine tuning my system, I'd like to point out that the rest of Ascend's line are no slouches!

I'm running 340's across the front, 170's as side surrounds and "classic" 200s as back surrounds. The speakers don't call attention to themselves, which I regard as a compliment. Just starting out, though, I've been paying more attention to the sound.

The other night we watched "Miss Potter", a movie about the life of Beatrix Potter. They do an effective job with the music track, incorporating lots of strings in the orchestra. The sound mixer chose not to place the orchestra across the front, but suspend it 1/3 of the way back (for lack of a better description). The 340's and 170's blended perfectly and threw a soundstage that was large and expansive, as I imagine the sound engineer intended. I was also struck by the airiness and subtlety of the sound.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I just wanted to point out the entire Ascend product line sounds great!

Doug

gtoboss
08-01-2008, 08:20 AM
It sounds like the Sierra's will do the trick. If I use the 200's as surronds will that cause any problems with tone diff. or imaging or anything. I like the size of them better than the Sierra's but will pony up for all Sierra's if need be.

drewface
08-01-2008, 11:27 AM
It sounds like the Sierra's will do the trick. If I use the 200's as surronds will that cause any problems with tone diff. or imaging or anything. I like the size of them better than the Sierra's but will pony up for all Sierra's if need be.the 200s will work great as surrounds. there are a few people on this board that are using that setup i believe and i have never heard a complaint from them. if you will be listening to a lot of multi-channel music, having sierras all around would definitely be the preferable setup, but if it is simply for home theatre surround duty, the 200s will fit the bill nicely. their smaller size and non-ported design make placement a LOT easier, as well.

gtoboss
08-01-2008, 01:50 PM
So the sound quality difference from the 200's and Sierra's are not noticable in HT when they are used as surronds?

Fantom
08-01-2008, 02:38 PM
I am running Sierra's across the front and 200-SE's for surrounds. When multi-channel music is using the surrounds more than the front stage, the sound isn't quite the same, but it still blends.

Part of my sound problem with surrounds is lack of good placement, which is also the reason I had to get 200's in the first place. They are SO much easier to fit into a room.

For HT, even when heavy use of the surrounds is involved, the 200's work great. With movies, anything in the surrounds is usually also somewhat present in either the front L or R channel. If the front and surround speakers didn't blend together, this would obviously be distracting.

As I said before, the 200's blend beautifully with the Sierra's.

Even with video games, where sounds often pan from left to right or front to back as you run around, I have never felt that the 200's were a distraction.

As for your original question of volume, the Sierra's will not be as loud as the 340's with the same input. However, the Sierra's can handle quite a bit of power. You can always get a beefy amp.

I am in a fairly open, but sub-2000 cu ft main listening area. My 100watt/ch Onkyo sr705 has more than enough power to fill that space (I'm sure my neighbors would more than agree at times).

If you want to completely fill your medium-large room with the quiet parts of dynamic classical music, you'll need a bit more power.

gtoboss
08-01-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm glad to hear that you are having luck with the 200's and Sierra's as I think that is what I'm leaning towards. Power is not going to be a problem I was originally going to get Rocket 850's 250's and Bigfoot. So with the money that I will save that will go towards a pre pro. Thanks for everyone's replies so far. Anyone else have any experience with volume in a large room or Sierra's with 200's?

MichaelG
08-01-2008, 09:06 PM
I have 3 Sierra's L/F/C and 3 340SE's for back and center surrounds mated with a HSU VTF 3.2 sub. The room is 16 X 36 X 9 so that's over 5,000 cubic feet. I don't have any issues filling the room with sound although the receiver is turned up 5-6 decibels compared to when the 340's were my fronts and center. Sounds are crisp and the soundstage is wider than the 340's, i.e. seats to left and right of center seem closer to that of the center (sweet) spot.

I listen to more music than HT but I don't feel I've lost anything with HT and have gained a great deal for music.

Michael

gtoboss
08-02-2008, 05:28 AM
I have 3 Sierra's L/F/C and 3 340SE's for back and center surrounds mated with a HSU VTF 3.2 sub. The room is 16 X 36 X 9 so that's over 5,000 cubic feet. I don't have any issues filling the room with sound although the receiver is turned up 5-6 decibels compared to when the 340's were my fronts and center. Sounds are crisp and the soundstage is wider than the 340's, i.e. seats to left and right of center seem closer to that of the center (sweet) spot.

I listen to more music than HT but I don't feel I've lost anything with HT and have gained a great deal for music.

Wow that is a big room! Well then I shouldnt have a problem filling my little in comparison room. Thanks

MichaelG
08-02-2008, 05:35 PM
I have a large basement which has become my man-room. Its important to add that my HT takes up the 1st 16 X 18 portion and the back 16 X 18 portion has my computer, the HVAC system, and a walkout. Its all open with cement block walls. When I talked about it filling the room with sound for HT I am talking about sitting in the HT portion. It is not quite the same experience in the back of the room!

Michael

gtoboss
08-02-2008, 07:44 PM
I have a large basement which has become my man-room. Its important to add that my HT takes up the 1st 16 X 18 portion and the back 16 X 18 portion has my computer, the HVAC system, and a walkout. Its all open with cement block walls. When I talked about it filling the room with sound for HT I am talking about sitting in the HT portion. It is not quite the same experience in the back of the room!

Michael

How far is your seating from the speakers?

MichaelG
08-03-2008, 03:58 PM
The L/R Sierra's are 40" off the back wall so they are in front of the TV and I am seated about 12 feet away from them.

Michael