PDA

View Full Version : Looking for reference or explanation

Tushar
07-25-2008, 09:13 PM
When researching receivers, I found many descriptions of the characteristic sounds of Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon and HK, what is warm, vibrant, rich, etc.

I also found an internet article talking about double-blind tests and inability of experts to correlate audio with the amp when the volume is matched and low enough to avoid clipping.

I just bought a Denon and will test it soon. I was interested to understand better why a given digital solid state receiver far from it's limit rated at 8 OHms with low THD should warm the sound of a speaker without modifying the level of detail while another similarly spec'd receiver does not, considering only an 8 Ohm speaker that is not hard to drive. What aspect creates the perception of "warmth, vibrancy, or fullness"-- quoting descriptors on this forum.

I've heard considerable difference in the sound between different routings through my system depending whether my old receivers' D/A is used or the CD players' and whether my old D/A and amp is taxed with 5 channels or just 2 channels.

My impression is my Sierra-1's sound happy maybe with a less taxed D/A and ample current available and my old receivers analog ins have lower S/N than it's digital path.

To be clear, I'm not a skeptic, just wanting to understand the why better so I can understand whether I lock myself into a level of warmth with my selection of receiver or there is more tha
Is there more than current handling, S/N and D/A conversion to consider?

Please no brand discussion, but if someone understands why warm receiver would reduce brightness of Klipsch, would appreciate an explanation. Would the same effect be there for a speaker that doesn't anywhere drop much below 8Ohms?

Did a search and couldn't find this discussed.

placebo473
07-27-2008, 01:01 PM
I have no working knowledge of 'why' but I like to keep things simple. If I have speakers or components that are staples in my system, I try to buy stuff that compliments them. You do your research as a starting point, then you audition the gear in your own room with what you already have.