PDA

View Full Version : Need input on speaker wire

Tushar
07-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Just bought a better receiver (Denon-988 on sale) to drive Sierra-1's and HTM-200's.
Thought to upgrade speaker wire. Looking at purchasing through Blue Jeans Cables.

I was curious if people have noticed any difference with Sierra-1 with different gauge of cables (10 vs. 12, etc) for short runs (<15 feet).

dallas
07-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Just bought a better receiver (Denon-988 on sale) to drive Sierra-1's and HTM-200's.
Thought to upgrade speaker wire. Looking at purchasing through Blue Jeans Cables.

I was curious if people have noticed any difference with Sierra-1 with different gauge of cables (10 vs. 12, etc) for short runs (<15 feet).

With all my research I have done, the best answer I can give is you will have ever so SLIGHTLY less electrical resistance with 10 gauge. So slight you can only really measure it with tools, and the difference will never be audible or show up on an electric bill. In fact you will likely pay more, because the cable cost more.

curtis
07-21-2008, 12:28 PM
and have you seen 10 gauge speaker cables? Looks like a water hose! Not the easiest to hide or blend in with the room.

Heck...12 gauge is tough enough to make aesthetically pleasing.

GirgleMirt
07-21-2008, 05:25 PM
12 awg is already overkill for 15 feet. You'd hear absolutely no difference going with 10 awg.

Take a look here for example: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Maximum Wire Lengths For TWO CONDUCTOR Copper Wire
Wire Size 8 ohm load
14 AWG 80 feet**
12 AWG 120 feet**
10 AWG 200 feet**

You'd be 'fine' with 18 AWG, but I'd still suggest going 16 or 14 ;)

MichaelG
07-21-2008, 06:38 PM
You should consider monoprice.com. I have found all their cables of every kind to be good quality yet inexpensive. I bought my speaker wire from them as well (12gauge).

Michael

DougMac
07-22-2008, 04:36 AM
You should consider monoprice.com. I have found all their cables of every kind to be good quality yet inexpensive. I bought my speaker wire from them as well (12gauge).

Michael

+1. I wanted to buy an HDMI cable from Blue Jeans, but it was four times the Monoprice cable. The Monoprice cable works great! I purchased all my cabling for my HT from them, including 250' of speaker wire.

Doug

Tushar
07-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks for links. Very helpful and informative.

MichealG, DougMac, anyone,

Anyone have experience with the LCD mounting brackets at Monoprice?

DougMac
07-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks for links. Very helpful and informative.

Anyone have experience with the LCD mounting brackets at Monoprice?

Sorry, I have a front projector. Items that I've purchased from Monoprice all seem well made, though.

Doug

muzz
07-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Ummmmm...yeah
< 15'?

Yeah, 12 gauge is MORE than enough in that scenario, but it is what I would use anyways, because I am overkill like that, because of high current love. :D

OK, call me a retard.......I'm OK with that.

get_zwole
07-23-2008, 09:12 PM
im running 12 on mine and they are around 6 feet of total wire lol. Its pretty much the same price so i didnt care. I have my 52 inch a550 samsung hanging on the peerless one touch mount it works great you can mount it flat or tilt up to 15 degrees. I have mine about 7 because i put it high on my wall because of my recliner i love it.

dallas
07-24-2008, 07:40 AM
while we are on speaker wire questions.

Is it normal for copper in a clear jacket to "corrode" somewhat throughout the length of the wire. Lose it's shine? Or am I somehow improperly cutting the ends of my speaker cables. Or, is it a function of manufacturing.

get_zwole
07-24-2008, 03:08 PM
while we are on speaker wire questions.

Is it normal for copper in a clear jacket to "corrode" somewhat throughout the length of the wire. Lose it's shine? Or am I somehow improperly cutting the ends of my speaker cables. Or, is it a function of manufacturing.

humm ive never noticed this. I had some not necessarily clear but pretty clear ones since 99 i had to replace everything after the tornado in Oklahoma thats how i remember lol.

I just replaced all my stuff and it didnt and doesnt as im looking at it look like anything has changed. Mine may just not be as clear as yours but, i work around copper a little as well, and even electricity lines after ive peeled the jacket away after years its usually still very shiny.

Also i really cant see you cutting the wires wrong you just cut then strip the jacket back pretty straight forward. Hopefully somebody else will jump in as well.

curtis
07-24-2008, 03:45 PM
I remember reading some time ago that someone bought speaker wire from Home Depot and it turned green inside the clear plastic insulation due to excess oxygen in the copper......something like that. I don't remember exactly.

dallas
07-24-2008, 04:03 PM
FWIW, it's monoprice "O2 free" (bs if you ask me) 12g copper wire in clear sheath. I bought some a year ago, and bought some more just now, the year old stuff is noticable duller, seems to have corroded a bit. Of course I never noticed until I had the new stuff right next to it and was on my hands and knees next to it, but it's a pretty drastic change nonetheless

Gov
07-24-2008, 06:59 PM
I remember reading some time ago that someone bought speaker wire from Home Depot and it turned green inside the clear plastic insulation due to excess oxygen in the copper......something like that. I don't remember exactly.

Well, I bought some 14g (Phillips) from Lowes over a year ago and it has not turned green yet. I think something else is going on there.

curtis
07-24-2008, 07:59 PM
oh....I didn't mean to imply it turned green because it was from Home Depot....it was just something I remembered.

Tushar
07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
What you remember re: Home Depot is in the link Girglemirt attached above.

It's under "low cost speaker wire not all the same"

Gov
07-24-2008, 09:26 PM
oh....I didn't mean to imply it turned green because it was from Home Depot....it was just something I remembered.

I know, no worries :D